What is it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was at the F.I.L's over the week end, he had a couple of saws he was a little interested in what there value was as a few people keep pestering him about wanting them. one is an older stihl 051 av its a bit dirty but runs fine. The other is a 2 man mac. it also runs fine. dont know the years of them but I know the mac. is much older then the stihl. here are a few photos. Sorry about the photos of the mac. it was way back in the shop behind a bunch of lumber piles and it weighs about 80 pounds or so and was a pain to try to get it over the lumber piles by my self. so I just took the photos where I could.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Mac has an interesting helper handle. It appears to be off a Mall or Disston. It has the tensioner in the handle. I susupect the bar is off a Mall.

Bill

Last edited:
Ya there a bit dirty, He does allot of saw milling in the winter under the doors of the shop and dont do much with the saws he doesn't use. I actually figured someone here knew a bit about them. maybe I should asked if the stihl was worth over 50 bucks or or better:) wish I had more time to clean them up a bit. I have run the 2 man a few times but it is always scary being on the the receiving end handle .... if the chain breaks ya always know which way its going to go:) As for the Mac. I am sure no one here could really give a price of worth. not to many around.I just dont want to see any one screw him over. I have allot of fun with the 2 man its fun to run! think an old Mac. is loud this thing Rocks:):rockn:

The Mac has an interesting helper handle. It appaers to be of a Mall or Disston. It has the tensioner in the handle. I susupect the bar is off a Mall.

Bill

I am not sure. It was his fathers saw from back in the day the bar is about 4 foot perhaps a bit longer but not much. what is a Mall or Disston? excuse my ignorance I am just 38 and climb trees for a living I worked in the woods for 12 years but we used a timco to cut trees with a bar that long:)

Hi Yooper, If he does not want them any more and just wants a fair price here are some thoughts.

If the stihl runs ok I think 100 to 200 range would be a fair start.

The Mac is either a model 549 or 755. Id number is on right tag. The bar and helper handle is from a disston kb7 twin cylinder saw. The bar, helper and chain could worth about 200 alone.

The mac powerhead if running ok is probaly worth 2 to 300,, maybe more.

since the saw is a morf it is worth more in parts but if He was offered around 400
I think he would do ok .... info based on last 2 years of vintage saws sold at auction..

ric

Last edited:
The McCulloch two man in your picture is model 7-55 It should have
a helper handle like my model 99 has.

saw1192-1.jpg

Here are two different mall two man saws.
This one is Model 6 Mall
saw460.jpg

saw446-1.jpg

This one is Model 7H Mall
saw632.jpg

saw633-1.jpg

Back