What is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked this up at an auction a year or so ago. The steel scrap price alone is worth more than I paid for it. It had a 2 hp 220v motor on top that I took off to keep it out of the elements. There is a approx. 8' cord with a 220v (not twist loc) plug on it. It has a horizontal shaft thru the top of it that turns an 8" dia auger that goes all the way to the steel plate on the bottom. I didn't have a 220v plug to plut it into to see if the motor worked, and there was no belt on it but the auger freely turns by hand if I turn the pulley on top, so I don't know what direction the auger is supposed to turn. The steel plate forms a 3 sided tray that is the width of the unit, no lip on the front I assume to make it easier to sweep the grain up off of it. When the chute on the bottom is closed, it forms the outer portion of the auger tube. There is what I can describe as an upside down chute over the bottom chute, but it is open to the auger. I *think* at one time that there was a radiused door that you could slide down and close off that opening. If the auger would be turned on, and material poured into the bottom chute, it would fall back out of the upper hole in the auger tube into the bottom chute. There IS a hole cut in the top of bin on top, but there is no door nor is there any provision for anything to keep water out. As for scale, like I said the auger is approx 8" dia, the bin is approx. 4' square and the whole thing stands about 8' high. There is no name or nameplate on it.

Does anybody have any idea what it was used for?

Attachments

• Grain bin 6.jpeg
    Grain bin 6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Grain bin 5.jpeg
    Grain bin 5.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Grain bin 3.jpeg
    Grain bin 3.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0
  • grain bin 2.jpeg
    grain bin 2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Grain bin 1.jpeg
    Grain bin 1.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
I've seen such equipment used for
corn peeling .I think it is something similar .Maybe not for corn ,though.

Take a picture from a distance. Grain storage or grinding. Maybe sweet feed mixing. My FIL had a larger version but the bottom part was different.

Latest posts

Back