WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TIE IN TWICE WHILE CLIMBING?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think someone may have mentioned this but you need to be tied in with a climb line...if for no other reason....in the event of an accident. An aerial rescue is a lot easier if the climber is tied in properly. Imagine how much harder a rescue would be if the climber was just hanging limp from a scare strap.

OK, Heres what I did today just for ya all. Took down about a 80 ft spruce. After being cooped up for a week I was wanting to get in the air. I took these pics just for you guys. I usually dont climb with a steel core, but I broke out the flip line for this one. A simple running bowline/Munter hitch secondary TIP. ( I even tied an over hand knot in the tail of my bowline cuz I knew some on would want to sharp shoot that.)get-attachment (10).jpg

Great pic, thanks tao! Just curious, why not use the steel core flip? Thats all I ever use and was wondering if there is something better or is it just opinion?

I am all about being light weight. I do a lot of pruning and a steel core is just to clumbsy and heavy. Another thing is they are conductive. If that tree would have been any closer to that line today I wouldnt have used the flip line.

IMO, using an adjustable friction saver (http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=348&item=11150) and a proper friction hitch would be much better than relying on that munter hitch.

From my understanding, the second tie in is not to be a bail out system, rather it is a backup should you accidentally cut your lanyard. Therefore, we keep the climbing line (secondary lanyard) down about knee level. Having it as a bail out system is effective, but not what the rule was designed for.

And for those unaware, a full running chainsaw will cut a steel core lanyard about 1/5 of a second slower than a rope lanyard. The steel core lanyard was developed when the old timers would chop the top with an axe. It is also more effective to flip when you are climbing large trees (5' diameter +) like they used for logging spars back in the 1920's.

I never use to use a second tie in on spar. It would of slowed us down to much. But I also see two people fall from cutting their lanyards. I now always use a second tie in while blocking down a spar. I like to use a gri gri and choke the trunk using a biner. It also acts as my bail out rope . With the gri.gri I could come down one handed if need be. Not to have that extra insurence is a fool. You sometimes only get one brake after a mistake. Falling 80 ft off gaffs. Your golng to land upside down. That helmet not going to save you. You maybe lucky if it kills you. Not being able to move from the neck down can't be fun.

Is that the Italian hitch yah got their Tao? In situations like this I use to use a carabinier rather than a running bowline but I heard side loading was bad? I've changed quite a few things around since this picture... But I'll let you boys rip me a new on .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-06-23-53-08.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-06-23-53-08.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 48
Hey beast, thanks for the post, can you fill me in on what a gri gri is? I am using something similar to what tao posted but not sure what a gri gri is?

Any other pics are great and informative as well!! (Doesnt have to be 80 ft. In a tree, but lets admit it does make the pic a helluva lot better, ha!!)

Hey beast, thanks for the post, can you fill me in on what a gri gri is? I am using something similar to what tao posted but not sure what a gri gri is?

kind of a fun video... im not sure id use this for climbing though. but to each their own

Is that the Italian hitch yah got their Tao? In situations like this I use to use a carabinier rather than a running bowline but I heard side loading was bad? I've changed quite a few things around since this picture... But I'll let you boys rip me a new on .

It took me a minute or two but with the help of my bi-focal saftey glasses I was able to kinda make out what you have going on there. Looks like your choked off to the spar and you are using a single eye split tail tied in either a Blakes or Tautline?? If thats the case then your good to go. Its a technique. Its not my preferred technique, but it works.

That blakes will lock up srt, you'll never make it down. And what kind of rope is that? looks ready for retirement to me.

Yale XTC 12-Strand. She was coated with saw dust this day. But since she has retired to rigging. I use Sampson line now.

Latest posts

Back