What is the dumbest thing you have done with a chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really too much other than cutting my leg once and letting a dee-ta-dee local wannabe Husky mechanic work on my saw another time.

Dumbest thing I ever did with a chainsaw is that I bought one!

Once I chased my buddy through the woods with a running Husky 55, I was very, very intoxicated and I vaguely remember the incident. I do remember falling down, dropping the saw and then getting up, next thing my buddy (also drunk) was chasing me with it, luckily for us we were too drunk to realize the chain brake was on! Needless to say neither of us drove home that night.

At least you were following safety procedures and had the chain brake on! :greenchainsaw:

I dropped a 6" dead birch trunk onto the power feed lines that go from my house up to the shop. Didn't wreck anything, but it stretched the lines a bit and the pole that's halfway between isn't quite vertical anymore. The sad thing is that it's not like I miscalculated or anything, I completely forgot about the lines above. This was a few years ago though, I'd never do anything like that now, right?:monkey:

I was working as a groundie many moons ago. One morning we had to remove a large oak next to a house. The boss saw no need to limb it out, just fell and cut. He climbs up and lowers the rope and we send up the cable from his old wrecker truck with a boom. Yes, I'm at the controls of it.
The boss had me postion the truck before sending out the cable. He makes his felling notch, then calls for me to take up the slack and provide slight tension. After he's most of the way through his back cut he hollers to put more tension on the cable. The tree falls in my direction and the top smashes across the top of the truck. Luckily, there was a tubular roll/light bar on the front of the bed, that prevented the limbs from smashing the top of the cab or the rear window when I ducked. :help:

Did I mention that the boss had been blind in one eye since his teen years and he'd worked in tree service his entire life? He climbs and swings in trees like any pro you've seen, but he couldn't properly estimate the distance for his truck!

I only worked for him a couple of years anyway.

I'll have to recall more stories from working with him.

:givebeer:

Removing a 90 plus ft white oak off the road in the middle of hurricane Isabele(1 am). Trees were cracking, falling and getting hung up all around us the whole time. There was an ambulance that needed to return to base and no outlet. We cleared the road and went home to a red oak on top of the garage.

No one was scared, but we should have been.

I cut about a 4" limb off of a maple to clear the back yard. In order to get to the limb, I put a 7 foot (yes a 7 ft) step ladder in the back of my pickup, I stood on the top rung and could only reach the limb with 1 hand on the saw. When I cut the limb it swung toward me, I chucked the saw so it didn't hit me, and I ended up laying face down on the top rung of the ladder in my waste. I am still amazed to this day the ladder didn't topple over and I would have fallen all 10-12 ft to the ground.

attachment.php
Was clearing for a Barn and hung one up. Figured to drop another on it to free it up. Set up and dropped a nice 20" cherry perfectly on the hanger and was gawking instead of moving. Sure enough the hanger was good and stuck and the Cherry Butt came up, hit me under the right ribs and kindly tossed me a good distance into the greenbriars.

It was more of a sudden heavy shove than an impact and I just was bruised up pretty bad. Things coulda been a LOT uglier.

Got in a hurry and didn't think things through, then got tunnel vision on the hanger. Focus or die was the lesson that day.

Then there was the tree trunk I dropped on my spray rig.

The Red Oak had broken off 40' up in the straight line windstorm we got back in 07' and darn near killed me and my tractor. I never even gave thought to the trunk bieng damaged, but that tree was split internally and I never made the back cut to the hinge before it let loose 45degrees from the face cut.

It flattened a 100gal spray tank and cradle like a boot stomped beer can.
Ever try to get rid of an old spray tank? LOL!!!
It's considered hazmat.:censored:

The Irony of it all, is that tree was spared during clearing because it was a Perfect Red Oak 30" DBH, and would have been a specimen tree next to the new barn. I just didn't want to take it down for milling or firewood as it was just too "Nice". Then it nearly killed me, took out my spray rig, AND cost me hazmat disposal for the rig. LOL!!! Just a MEAN old tree!;)

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100108&stc=1&d=1243834950

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
After strugling hours with a knive i decided to be bit more drastical cutting this piece of rubber matting for my horse trailer...

Oh, did i mention it was a piece of an old conveyor belt full with wire rope reinforcements...

:monkey:

This was a few weeks back. I got off work (I work overnights so this was 8-9am) and my neighbor is outside trying to limb his trees so he can mow under them. I volunteer my "services" and limb all his trees like he wants. Sitting down afterward to a beer I notice my toes are bleeding. I'd been wearing flip-flops the entire time... I had my chaps and my helmet/ear protection on, but in my sleepless fog I forgot shoes/boots.

I guess the chips being thrown down were going fast enough to break the skin. I immediately put my saw away (was thinking before that, that I wanted to get a few more cuts in), and spent the rest of the day relaxing until sleep.

I used a 044 to cut a chain link fence down so I could get a fire truck on a golf course to put out a equipment shed that was on fire.:chainsaw:

It worked great but I did have to replace the chain!!!! I would have never done that with my own chain saw but it was the FD. LOL

Old thread but still fits.
Yesterday I rebuild the carb on my old Homelite SXLAO and I cleaned the plug and blew some air in the cylinder because it was wet on the plug. OK four hours later I was still digging the end of my air chuck out of the cylinder. Finally got it though. Oh it was aluminum and brass so the magnet didn't help! I can laugh now.

Ran over an awesome running ported Stihl 460 with a 40 ton stroke delimber. Not much survived. I nearly cried!

Latest posts

Back