What is the dumbest thing you have done with a chain saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumbest thing I have done was drive an hour and a half home with half a load because something in the clutch/bar/chain had seized up. When I looked into it at home I realized I had unknowingly set the chain brake. :dumb:

Today I cut a tree down for my parents that had grown right beside an old grain bin.

I wasn't paying attention and hit a 3/4" bolt with my almost new only filed once 24" chain.

:#:($$:mad:&(#($-&@-$($:mad:+$+_+&#

Second dumbest thing I did? Bought a saw.. dumbest? bought 10 more!

@DeckSetter Today I was bucking up some logs that were intended to be turned into fenceposts.. We had them in our greenhouse to stay dry, nicely up off the ground.. well 8 years ago a freak snowstorm collapsed the greenhouse.
Today I was cutting them up, and be darned if I didn't hit one of those self-drilling self-tapping screws with my nice sharp chain.. 84 DL of full house chain absolutely mangled.. it took a LOT of filing to get it cutting again.

I did have a win today too though... 24" DBH dead fir tree badly leaning over my fence and irrigation line.. managed to fall it parallel to the line and not cause any damage to anything other than some hawthorn bushes (good riddance!)

My dumbest move was this morning. I had just rebuilt a saw I was about to sell and was setting the tune. I fired it up, got the low about right, set the high, thought it was pretty close. Then I switched it off and got a drink of coffee. I went right back out to check the hot start, and danged If I couldn't get it to start at all. Not with choke, not with full throttle, not with turning the low. Bout wore my arm out for 15 minutes. Then I saw it..........I didn't turn it on. Duh!!!

Was working on a new to me 036 on the weekend. Bought it cheap as it wouldn't start, put some mix down the carb and it fired right up, but wouldn't rev. After fiddling with the tune for about 5 minutes, i saw smoke coming out of the clutch cover ( i didnt have the bar and chain on). I then noticed the chainbrake was on, let it off, and it worked fine. :dumb::dumb2:

My dumbest move was this morning. I had just rebuilt a saw I was about to sell and was setting the tune. I fired it up, got the low about right, set the high, thought it was pretty close. Then I switched it off and got a drink of coffee. I went right back out to check the hot start, and danged If I couldn't get it to start at all. Not with choke, not with full throttle, not with turning the low. Bout wore my arm out for 15 minutes. Then I saw it..........I didn't turn it on. Duh!!!

Mine is close. I didn't realize my 372 wouldn't crank with relief valve on when it's cold. Threw my shoulder out of joint trying to crank it. It cranks on two easy pulls if I don't touch that stupid relief valve.

Back