What is the most worthless saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wild thing and mini Mac 110 tie for biggest POSs. Not sure how the newer wild things are but the ones I used would numb your hands in mintues. Not worth much if you can't hold it while running.:dizzy:

Interesting thread: I Guess it would for me have to come down to personal experiance. The biggest piece of junk I ever owned was a Sachs-Dolmar 133. I know this will get to some folks but I bought it new when there was acually a dealer for them here.
It would over heat the fitting to the oiler and melt it shut every two or three weeks, It would not run in hot weather, the throttle wire broke almost every day, It started VERY hard when cold, It ran high and low , It used tons of fuel, It would randomly quit running for no reason, And it blew out Two case gaskets In the 8 months I Owned it. And the carb had to be warranted 3 times. I Know that Dolmar does better than this now but they had a lousy rep around here and even after all these years folks who remember them Have nothing good to say about them.
BUT From what I have observed from other people It would be any of the Lombard saws.

It's a three way tie for me. Husky 268, 272, and the 288. They are all junk. So anybody that has one needs to send them to me so I can properly dispose of them.:)

This is easy,

"The most worthless saw" is the one that sits, unused.

They would be far better off on the "Island of Misfit Toys".

Hope Yukon Cornelius and Rudolf don't haul off your shelf queen!

Mery Christmas!

mo

attachment.php

Probally going to irritate some people but the most worthless saw I ever owned was a Stihl MS310 the saw was heavy slow and would throw a chain at least once every time I cut with it no matter how well adusted I had it. I however may have got a a dud due to the fact that my 025 would cut circles around it.

Poulan Wood Shark. Ran fine the day I bought it. Ever since then when I have tried to use it, it starts and runs fine until it hits the wood. Then has no power and dies. Very frustrating.

Don't like slamming saws, but did manage to finally pick up a Homelite 240 a little while back, and it currently ranks as the least impressive saw I ever played with. It has ~ 140 pounds comp, cranks pretty easily and the oiler on this one does work fair, but it has absolutely no grunt. A Super 2 will pull better. No lugging power whatsoever. Maybe I picked up a lemon, but don't think I'm gonna try to get another to find out.
Dan

I have many concerns regarding this pic;

Is that a dude or a dudette?
But more importantly . . . what kind of saw is that?

I think it is a "Dudette," but with a bit of lower back hair, which might be about Space's speed. Just sayin.

But if that is a real tat and not a sharpie drawing, all I can say is that apparently people will do just about anything under the influence of badly distilled "corn." (mebbe they distilled the oak barrel too? I hear tell that can be a bit hard on the optic nerve)

Don't like slamming saws, but did manage to finally pick up a Homelite 240 a little while back, and it currently ranks as the least impressive saw I ever played with. It has ~ 140 pounds comp, cranks pretty easily and the oiler on this one does work fair, but it has absolutely no grunt. A Super 2 will pull better. No lugging power whatsoever. Maybe I picked up a lemon, but don't think I'm gonna try to get another to find out.
Dan

I think you can blame Solo for that 240 mess.

"Poulan Wood Shark. Ran fine the day I bought it. Ever since then when I have tried to use it, it starts and runs fine until it hits the wood. Then has no power and dies. Very frustrating."

You are lucky it even started after the first time it was used. I've had scores of those Walmart Poulan's dropped off here over the years, and it's ALWAYS the same exact thing. After verifying fuel exists in the tank, you can apply the choke and pull them 25-30 times and they woln't even think about starting.

Then I'll pull the air filter cover and prime them. One in 20 times this will get them going, the other 19 times we throw them down over the hill. I simply refuse to waste my valuable time pissing around with saws that weren't worth the price of the fuel it took to drive to Walmart to purchase them.

If you really want a "cheap" saw, for occassional use, get an Echo CS-310, 370, or 400. They start right up every single time in 2-3 pulls, and are great runners. The owner just has to be smart enough to remove the limiter caps when you first buy one and add some fuel via the "L" and "H" screws.......Cliff

I am surprised we did not get responses related to evolutionary "dead ends". What about the Sally Saw or the reciprocating Wright's? Apparently the market determined that they were lacking.

Last edited:
I am surprised we did not get responses related to evolutionary "dead ends". What about the Sally Saw or the advisers Wright's? Apparently the market determined that they were lacking.

Dead ends? Like the BP-1? Not good criteria, there were many good saws that didn't become major sellers. Everyone has has a worthless saw, regardless of brand. Some were just plain bad, some didn't match the hype, whatever. To me, a worthless saw is one that cannot be made to work, ever.

"Poulan Wood Shark. Ran fine the day I bought it. Ever since then when I have tried to use it, it starts and runs fine until it hits the wood. Then has no power and dies. Very frustrating."

You are lucky it even started after the first time it was used. I've had scores of those Walmart Poulan's dropped off here over the years, and it's ALWAYS the same exact thing. After verifying fuel exists in the tank, you can apply the choke and pull them 25-30 times and they woln't even think about starting.

Then I'll pull the air filter cover and prime them. One in 20 times this will get them going, the other 19 times we throw them down over the hill. I simply refuse to waste my valuable time pissing around with saws that weren't worth the price of the fuel it took to drive to Walmart to purchase them.
Cliff

Interesting, because early this week I was given six of that discription and five are scored. So, some one did manage to get them started. The sixth, in Craftsman colors, looks like it cut a ton of wood and still has 150psi comp..

"The owner just has to be smart enough to remove the limiter caps when you first buy one and add some fuel via the "L" and "H" screws."

Yup, I bet that's why the forrest green Craftsman and one of the 2150 Poulans survived. Carbs on those two are adjustable.

Latest posts

Back