What is the replacement value of my Crabapple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janina5309

Reaction score
An arborist came by and cut down the wrong tree. Naturally, I'm very upset since this was the only tree that bore edible fruit on my property. He offered to replace it, but now that it's gone, I'd rather not have it replaced (it was in front of my garden casting shade and don't have room for it elsewhere on the property). I want to be compensated for it instead, but don't know the true value of the tree. He wants to compensate me $100 for it, but I want a second opinion.

The tree he cut down was a basic Crabapple tree. I'm in Canada so I think this is a Dolgo Crabapple. It was approx 9 years old and the trunk had a diameter of 4 inches. It's hieght was approx 10 feet.

If anyone has the formula and species value used by the International Society of Arboriculture, that would be very helpful in proving the true value to this arborist. Thanks.

Sounds like you already got something for nothing.

If you like it gone you ought to do the decent thing and thank him for the free job!

Sounds more to me like they are looking to taking advantage of the guys mistake.

Hes done the fair thing by offering to replace it. If your greed is really that strong then hire a certified arborist to come give you a replacement value.

Cut it split it bundle 5-6 splits sell for $4.99 per bundle then tell us how much you get then someone will tell you how much it was worth.:hmm3grin2orange:

I gotta say I know what it takes to cut down the wrong tree. Just from sight not from experiance. I think that ranks up there with spiking all your trim jobs. What the OP refers to as an aborist may not actually be one, seems more of a dip#### to me. A hundred bucks will not replace the tree but it shouldn't be much more than that. I would accept a balled and burlapped replacement to settle the score. That seems reasonable given the situation.

Another example of why you should mark the trees that you want taken down. you should step up and share the responsibility. you should have had it clearly marked.

An arborist came by and cut down the wrong tree. Naturally, I'm very upset since this was the only tree that bore edible fruit on my property. He offered to replace it, but now that it's gone, I'd rather not have it replaced (it was in front of my garden casting shade and don't have room for it elsewhere on the property). I want to be compensated for it instead, but don't know the true value of the tree. He wants to compensate me $100 for it, but I want a second opinion.

The tree he cut down was a basic Crabapple tree. I'm in Canada so I think this is a Dolgo Crabapple. It was approx 9 years old and the trunk had a diameter of 4 inches. It's hieght was approx 10 feet.

If anyone has the formula and species value used by the International Society of Arboriculture, that would be very helpful in proving the true value to this arborist. Thanks.

Ironically, that tree has the same value as your integrity.

I just bought a crabapple for a job. It was 3" caliber, and it was only $90.

Well theres you answer... So go hire an arborist to give you a appraisal should cost somewhere around $100 he most likely going to give the price of replacement value. So prolly around $100. Sounds like the guy you hired may not be the smartest but he has integrity.

If your looking for someone to do the whole formula thing where for price for square inch or value towards your landscape forget it. The tree is not a high value tree and you can go to a nursery and find one that size so that is the only estimate that is needed. The truth is you wanted the tree gone anyways, you admitted that. But someone put a thought in your head that you could make a few dollars on this so you want to take advantage of someones mistake.

I just wanted to explain what happened.

So I searched for an arborist with a very good reputation, double checked them on better business bureau. Had the guy come by to do a quote. He gave me a clear and concise quote indicating the removal of a half dead ornamental crab in the FRONT yard, pruning of a second ornamental crab, and pruning of a lilac. This job was $290. When he had his employees come (he wasn't there, so I'm assuming there was another certified arborist on site), I wasn't home. I happened to come home to the Crab in the BACK cut down. They showed me their notes that said the crab in the back was to be cut down, but this didn't match my quote.

Secondly, the arborist promised the tree to be cut down in fall so I could transplant a cherry in the place of the crab. They kept pushing the job to a later date (a few days ago, now it's dead winter). If they would have told me in the first place they didn't have the manpower to get it down, I would have gone with another arborist.

I DID NOT want that crab cut down in the back. I used the fruit from this tree every year to make crabapple liqueur, now I can no longer do that. I was actually planning my garden around it. I, however, am reviewing the possibility of asking them to plant a tree/shrub of equivalent value but more of a dwarf variety that won't block out much of the sunlight to my garden. I would prefer that they just reimburse me for the tree so I don't have to deal with this company anymore (as I feel they'll just push the job of the replacement tree further and further into the season. Just like the job they did for me). They still have to come by and remove the stump. I want to propose they just give me the value for the tree so they don't have to come by and waste money on paying their employees having to come grind down the stump and prepare my mostly rocky soil in planting another tree (the only access to our back yard is a 2 foot wide gate which their stump grinder won't fit into. There is a problem with where the utility lines are located in the ground, this is why the gate's not bigger). I feel that this is fair. My fiancee didn't even think they should be charging us for this job at all considerring the trouble they put me through. But I believe that being compensated for the tree and paying for the rest of the job is fair. However, I don't think it is fair of them to say "well, you wanted that tree removed anyway", which I think is their way of denying responsibility to a degree for their mistake.

Last edited:
As far as him not getting to you right away. There has been alot of storm damage around here, and I had to move alot of my jobs off to get it done. People dont like to wait to get a tree cut off there roof any longer then they have to. I would try to get to your job asap especialy if I didnt give you a exact date i would be there. A $290 job is what I would call fill in work. I would put it in my schedule to do when i finish up another job early. I would not tell a customer with a $5000 job that he had to wait. By all means I dont mean that your job isnt important. Maybe I am wrong but thats how I see it in my mind.

Another example of why you should mark the trees that you want taken down. you should step up and share the responsibility. you should have had it clearly marked.

My thoughts are is that its up to the guy who is choppin em down to know which ones to chop or don't chop.

Last edited:
I just wanted to explain what happened.

So I searched for an arborist with a very good reputation, double checked them on better business bureau. Had the guy come by to do a quote. He gave me a clear and concise quote indicating the removal of a half dead ornamental crab in the FRONT yard, pruning of a second ornamental crab, and pruning of a lilac. This job was $290. When he had his employees come (he wasn't there, so I'm assuming there was another certified arborist on site), I wasn't home. I happened to come home to the Crab in the BACK cut down. They showed me their notes that said the crab in the back was to be cut down, but this didn't match my quote.

Secondly, the arborist promised the tree to be cut down in fall so I could transplant a cherry in the place of the crab. They kept pushing the job to a later date (a few days ago, now it's dead winter). If they would have told me in the first place they didn't have the manpower to get it down, I would have gone with another arborist.

I DID NOT want that crab cut down in the back. I used the fruit from this tree every year to make crabapple liqueur, now I can no longer do that. I was actually planning my garden around it. I, however, am reviewing the possibility of asking them to plant a tree/shrub of equivalent value but more of a dwarf variety that won't block out much of the sunlight to my garden. I would prefer that they just reimburse me for the tree so I don't have to deal with this company anymore (as I feel they'll just push the job of the replacement tree further and further into the season. Just like the job they did for me). They still have to come by and remove the stump. I want to propose they just give me the value for the tree so they don't have to come by and waste money on paying their employees having to come grind down the stump and prepare my mostly rocky soil in planting another tree (the only access to our back yard is a 2 foot wide gate which their stump grinder won't fit into. There is a problem with where the utility lines are located in the ground, this is why the gate's not bigger). I feel that this is fair. My fiancee didn't even think they should be charging us for this job at all considerring the trouble they put me through. But I believe that being compensated for the tree and paying for the rest of the job is fair. However, I don't think it is fair of them to say "well, you wanted that tree removed anyway", which I think is their way of denying responsibility to a degree for their mistake.

Ever go to a resturant and the waiter takes yer order? Sure, everything seems fine til someone who is not the waiter brings out yer food and its all wrong. You start to get noided out, like, " what am I paying for?".

To much is at stake to operate a tree service like they operate Apelbees.

But if it was me ( which it never will be) I would have sunk another delgo crab in there before you opened up yer yap to start #####ing. But its yer right to.

Cut down the wrong tree? Dip####s do that. Try to pass it off? That's weak.

Episodes like this are indicative of hackassery, indicative of people who operate from assumptions and ignorance.

If you are one of those guys who ever " cut down the wrong tree" well, then, yer an idiot. Don't you realize there are people waiting for you to screw up so they can bring the hammer down on you? It would have been better if you cut yer own head off with the saw than to cut down the wrong tree. Whatsamattawitu? Cut down the wrong tree? Cut down the wrong tree!!!??? CUT DOWN THE WRONG TREE!!!!???

But that's another story. We are talking about a little B and B here and I would think any self respecting treeman would have replaced it by now.

As far as him not getting to you right away. There has been alot of storm damage around here, and I had to move alot of my jobs off to get it done. People dont like to wait to get a tree cut off there roof any longer then they have to. I would try to get to your job asap especialy if I didnt give you a exact date i would be there. A $290 job is what I would call fill in work. I would put it in my schedule to do when i finish up another job early. I would not tell a customer with a $5000 job that he had to wait. By all means I dont mean that your job isnt important. Maybe I am wrong but thats how I see it in my mind.

I maybe wrong but they way I see it is that you have cut down yer share of the wrong tree. Not only that yer playing strawman here with yer preposterous reasonings that don't even apply to this situation.

Me? I tell em all to wait.

Sounds like you already got something for nothing.

If you like it gone you ought to do the decent thing and thank him for the free job!

You must have yer shoes on the wrong feet again. Whatsamaatawitu? You know just as well as I do about this situation. And for such a little tree I am surprised the idiot who cut it down hasn't rectified by now.

I maybe wrong but they way I see it is that you have cut down yer share of the wrong tree. Not only that yer playing strawman here with yer preposterous reasonings that don't even apply to this situation.

Me? I tell em all to wait.

Never cut down the wrong tree, and never will.

I know the possiblity is there, but I am always there for tree jobs, and I make good notes when I am doing some trimming and some removals. I don't want to be in this situation.

I cut down the wrong tree a few years back working on a row home in camden , we could only get to the tree from the alley worked on it for 3.5 hours , called the property owner to get paid and when he arrived he explained to me my mistake , I mean I bid the wrong tree cut it down took the stump and had to stay another 5 hrs to fix my mistake , the worst part of it is the renters watched me cut the tree from the kitchen window and said nothing at all they even gave us water LOLthe correct tree was quite a bit larger too so my ass was real sore that day all because I was too lazy to drive around and check the address .- still do work for the guy though and when he faxes me addresses he writes them in huge bubble letters with arrows and maps , its been a standing joke on me since

Latest posts

Back