What is the ultimate McCulloch saw based on the 10 series chassis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about MACs and even less about other brands, but I would wager that MAC is the king of interchangeability. Ron

I met an old guy who used to be a local Mac dealer in the seventies and he stated the many changes in Mac models drove him crazy, as it was difficult to stock all parts for every model. He claimed the constant changes from Mac was the main reason for them to go out of Business in Belgium. If you have worked on a few like Heimann, than you know there's always small differences. Don't know what the strategy was behind either, probably a Marketing gig to have something 'new' allt the time

I know even less about the large frames or 70s back ten series. Made my bet based on the later ten series which despite the cc differences have a lot more in common than the mid size Stihls I run.

Did anyone else notice that 40/1 was the recommended mix for the SP80? I wonder if the later change to 32/1 was due to the ring change, a durability issue or the supposed power boost.

Ron

The 32:1 recommendation came out in one of their service bulletins, evidently the more aggressive porting in the 82 cc saws led too many people to lean them out and rev the up. I do have at least a couple of saws with a fixed H jet, seems like a PM55 and one of the SP80 saws.

Mark

Thanks for the info, Mark. I run 32/1 more or less in all by 82cc MACs.

32/1 or not, they don't last long with an air leak. Brian's 800 was really strong while it ran. Neither of us noticed at the time, but it is very noticeable on one of our videos that it was screaming. Sounds just like mine with the lean tune and torn boot just before it melted. Neither of us hear the best and we both were tired (closest I have ever been to a heat stroke) but I still feel bad that I didn't hear it at the time.

Ron

Do you have a picture? Is it silver with black lettering? Sprocket or hard nose? Just trying to figure out what the original bar would have looked like for this saw.
My bet rests on a rebranded Windsor, either black with yellow letters or grey with black letters. I have a used 36" Mac-branded Windsor bar on my SP81, it was grey/black and a pic of a n.o.s. PM800 a guy on here has shows it with a grey/black bar.

7-10s are bad ass, most that show up on ebay look like they were rode hard and put away wet tho.
850s are stronger than the 800s. The old mac dealer that I know thought they were ported different, wasn't for sure what they did but swore by them.
The 10-10S is strong, versatile, and at least came with a cushioned handle.
I've been taking a 10-10S and a PM 800 into the woods with me lately. I have a 850 set up for milling lumber.
I leave my SP81E at home, save that for racing ;)
Eric
Are you or anyone you know specifically looking for a 7-10 auto that's in all honesty " very good " shape? I bought one yesterday that had been listed on craigslist for at least a week for $50 . Starts rate up and is a complete powerhouse. Figured I'd through it out there . My name's Dusty and I'm in Brighton CO . Take it easy

Back