What is this crap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The crazy part is that all of those new bars that come on the 250, 251, 271, 291 are .325 .050 instead of .325 .063.

So once we sell a lot of these saws with that new stupid .050 bar/chain set up and customers come in for a chain and don’t bring an old chain in or have no idea what size chain they need (75% have no clue) and we ask them what saw they have (70% have no clue) then we ask did they buy from us so we can look it up in the system. If they did we can help them. If they didn’t and they know what saw they have then we now have to start asking, how long ago did you buy it? Does it have a stupid white bar that looks like it has “wood boss” spray painted on it? Instead of just giving them a 68 or 81 DL .063 chain we now have to figure out if they have an .063 or ..050 chain!

The chain world is already a nightmare when trying to help customers that have no information for us to try to help them. Now Stihl just gave us another wrench in the system.

Is this a piece of junk, or just looks like it is?

View attachment 1087069
Don`t fret, we will soon enough have persons coming on here worrying about the paint scheme wearing off their bars. A bar with no paint runs cooler but may not suit the , in crowd.

To get .325 in .063 I have to have it shipped in here, everything Stihl is .050 ga here so I have bought rolls and shipped them in. It is very funny here to go in a dealership and ask for a chain if you know the number of drive links, the pitch, gauge and type of cutter you want , they havn`t a clue. They need to know the model of the saw and bar length to look it up, I have had to argue with the counter guy even when I pick the chain off the shelf with the numbers I am looking for they do not want to sell it to me without knowing what saw I have and what experience I have with saws. It sure changes when I say I have 45 PRO series Stihl saws and can name any part of any model they ever heard of. Their fav question to ask is do you want to buy a MS170 heck no I don`t need a toy saw!

See, .325 .063 it totally oddball up here in Canadia, so .050 works just fine for us... I don't have a dealer within 4 hours of the house that stocks .063 in any pitch.

This goes back to us getting Stihl branded Oregon bars to get around a tax at one point in time....
I take it you do not have any long bars or big saws then.

The crazy part is that all of those new bars that come on the 250, 251, 271, 291 are .325 .050 instead of .325 .063.

So once we sell a lot of these saws with that new stupid .050 bar/chain set up and customers come in for a chain and don’t bring an old chain in or have no idea what size chain they need (75% have no clue) and we ask them what saw they have (70% have no clue) then we ask did they buy from us so we can look it up in the system. If they did we can help them. If they didn’t and they know what saw they have then we now have to start asking, how long ago did you buy it? Does it have a stupid white bar that looks like it has “wood boss” spray painted on it? Instead of just giving them a 68 or 81 DL .063 chain we now have to figure out if they have an .063 or ..050 chain!

The chain world is already a nightmare when trying to help customers that have no information for us to try to help them. Now Stihl just gave us another wrench in the system.
The new narrow kerf RS Pro .325 .050 chain that runs on those bars cuts in about 75% the time that the old .325 .063 chain did though. Stuff is like a laser

I take it you do not have any long bars or big saws then.
The one and only functioning saw I have with .063 on it out of the 200+ in the shop is my 051, which came to me with a 17 on it. By all rights long bars and bigger saws are not common here, as the majority of timber is smaller, this is mid 60cc class territory, 266 with a 16 or 365 with an 18 are pretty common... See the occasional 046 with a 16 too....
I do have a 28 and 32 which mostly hang on the wall, the 28 is Stihl mount 3/8 .050 and usually goes on my 660, the 32 is Husky in .058 and usually makes its way onto the 2100.
I tend to favor a 24 on 60-70cc class saws, but 99% of the time I am running something 50cc, ported, with a 16....

Another size chain roll for the bench and to make up for the wall. Gonna need a bigger bar and chain wall.
Ditto on getting the right chain for the customer. "But I bought it here".

Those are for people that usually buy stuff at tractor supply. Stihl had to do something to cater to weekend cheapskate wood gatherers with those stupid stamped cheesey drunk patio party chinese giant wok looking firepits. LMAO

Back