What is this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muncybob

muncybob

ArboristSite Member
I'm marginal at best in identifying a tree with leaves...no leaves and I'm pathetic. Neighbor wants me to cut this tree down and was wondering what it is and if it should go in my hardwood firewood supply pile?

Woodcutteranon

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
. AS Supporting Member.
I could go with Cherry but my first thought was ash. I would like to see some closeups of the branches. Cherry has "lenticles" or symmetrical hash marks in its bark...kinda like what you find on a birch. Ok...I don't know. I will vote ash but I am always rooting for the underdog.

Safe cutting.

Wood Doctor
Last edited:
TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
I could go with Cherry but my first thought was ash. I would like to see some closeups of the branches. Cherry has "lenticles" or symmetrical hash marks in its bark...kinda like what you find on a birch. Ok...I don't know. I will vote ash but I am always rooting for the underdog.

Safe cutting.

Many cherry tree species keep the horizontal lenticles, but black cherry will develop gray scales with an orangish color underneath (exactly like pictured above); however, you'll still see the lenticles on the small black cherry branches.

For a cherry that keeps its horizontal lenticles, consider pin cherry (fire cherry). Here are some larger branches of a big ol' pin cherry from my parents' farm:

pincherry2.jpg

Also, for ash, look for symmetrical branching, which is not exhibited in the OP's pictures.

Last edited:
stint

stint

ArboristSite Operative
Me too

Agree Cherry, more specifically, it is black (wild,choke) cherry.

Not highest BTU, but well above average, and easy split, pretty quick dry, and nice burn

Latest posts