What is this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muncybob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm marginal at best in identifying a tree with leaves...no leaves and I'm pathetic. Neighbor wants me to cut this tree down and was wondering what it is and if it should go in my hardwood firewood supply pile?

bees huh? I'll wait until after a good freeze then. I didn't notice any cavities so where else would they beees?

I could go with Cherry but my first thought was ash. I would like to see some closeups of the branches. Cherry has "lenticles" or symmetrical hash marks in its bark...kinda like what you find on a birch. Ok...I don't know. I will vote ash but I am always rooting for the underdog.

Safe cutting.

Last edited:
I could go with Cherry but my first thought was ash. I would like to see some closeups of the branches. Cherry has "lenticles" or symmetrical hash marks in its bark...kinda like what you find on a birch. Ok...I don't know. I will vote ash but I am always rooting for the underdog.

Safe cutting.

Many cherry tree species keep the horizontal lenticles, but black cherry will develop gray scales with an orangish color underneath (exactly like pictured above); however, you'll still see the lenticles on the small black cherry branches.

For a cherry that keeps its horizontal lenticles, consider pin cherry (fire cherry). Here are some larger branches of a big ol' pin cherry from my parents' farm:

pincherry2.jpg

Also, for ash, look for symmetrical branching, which is not exhibited in the OP's pictures.

Last edited:
Me too

Agree Cherry, more specifically, it is black (wild,choke) cherry.

Not highest BTU, but well above average, and easy split, pretty quick dry, and nice burn

Back