What is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70Frank

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks. I don't buy wood if ever rarely, I just craigslist and have access to some mountain property. Well while cutting up some Locust from the storm here in WNC someone offered me their downed tree, but I have no idea what it is so here's a few pictures. I'm leaning Ash but not sure, or what kind of Ash if it is.

Attachments

• 20170914_124642.jpg
    20170914_124642.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 252
  • 20170914_124606.jpg
    20170914_124606.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294
  • 20170914_124619.jpg
    20170914_124619.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 226
My leaf ID is generally not great, but based on the bark and that heartwood my first guess would've been Ash.

The closeup shows what may be service berry leaves. If you zoom in you can see a lot of smallish purple fruit in the background hanging on the branches. Was there more than one tree there maybe?

The closeup shows what may be service berry leaves. If you zoom in you can see a lot of smallish purple fruit in the background hanging on the branches. Was there more than one tree there maybe?
The leaves are the strange part. They are clustered instead of across in a row.
Oh and I did forget there are berries that look exactly like blueberries on the tree. Thought I had a picture but don't.

I think I agree with serviceberry.

I looked at the bark and said ash, but not with those leaves... I even thought maybe black gum by the leaves, but the bark is wrong...

Everything you wanted to know about serviceberry. https://www.thespruce.com/nine-species-serviceberry-trees-and-shrubs-3269674

Good afternoon folks. I don't buy wood if ever rarely, I just craigslist and have access to some mountain property. Well while cutting up some Locust from the storm here in WNC someone offered me their downed tree, but I have no idea what it is so here's a few pictures. I'm leaning Ash but not sure, or what kind of Ash if it is.
First pic looks like poplar last pic looks like ash second pic idk.

Amelanchier-LB0806-8479.jpg

This is serviceberry

I found this website http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/#trees , The bark they show looks different than your pic, but the leaves look spot on. Like chipper1 said if I hadn't seen the leaves I would have thought sassafras. I actually have some property in Watauga county and was impressed how many different trees I noticed over there just taking the dogs for a walk up the road.

Latest posts

Back