What is wrong with this cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no shortage of credible data supporting wound paints. Just ask any arborist working in Wilt territory or the practitioner open minded enough to work with any number of biocontrol coverings for a specific purpose.

Even Dr. Shigo -clearly- showed a lower instance of decay 7 years into this study. See table 8. WOUND DRESSINGS: RESULTS OF STUDIES OVER 13 YEARS
http://joa.isa-arbor.com/request.asp?JournalID=1&ArticleID=1923&Type=2

Just another tool for the informed arborist. :msp_thumbsup:

Thank you ! That is what I have been trying to tell those who are truly interested in the facts! It also shows less area of dieback with T____te (don't want to be accused of advertising!) vs. control (untreated.

OK....:msp_laugh:Sounds like the paint issue ''may'' be resolved.Now,back to that cut.The post question is:''What's wrong with this cut''There are other issues that need to be resolved(IMO)Does it make one whit of difference wheather that cut is painted or not....Pic 006?shows the bark/phloem is separated from the cambium,possibily all the way back to the main stem

Pic 006

there may be a problem with callusing...it appears the outer bark is separated from the cambium.
Also there appears to be an old stain flow down the trunk on that older(Flush) cut.Looks like the lichens in that area are dead...As are the lichens around the newer cut.Wondering if that might be bacterial wetwood.That would account for the dead lichens.And also account fro the fact the upper wound hasn't fully callused.The organism will not allow for the growth of new wood.Meaning ''if'' it is BW that area may be an issue down the road.If it smells or tastes funky,thats it.
cheers...beers!

Applying tree wound coatings to help prevent a tree getting Dutch Elm disease? The elm leaf beetles that carry the fungus might be deterred from landing on the wounds, but so what? Enough of them start gnawing on leaves and it's ball game over, wound dressing or no wound dressing.

Look at it from this point.
You have a oak with storm damage in the middle of summer, you have no choice but to make cuts, you are in a heavy wilt area, it is better to put a light covering on the wound to prevent wilt. The damage that may happen, due to the dressing, is much less a risk to the tree than the wilt. The wound will be compartmentalized on this inside, the dressing just gives the tree a little buffer to do so. If the dressing does prevent closure, its still better to have a compartmentalized pocket than a wilt infection. Basically, the lesser of 2 evils. I am not a fan of any dressing, but in some situations, it may save a tree.

Last edited:
Sheesh...And I thought you guys were going to give the guy crap for cutting on a ladder. Just when I thought I had this place figured out. I'm a tool.:jester:
247390d1344098189-006-jpg

]Sheesh...And I thought you guys were going to give the guy crap for cutting on a ladder.

:msp_rolleyes:Kept my mouth shut..:laugh:

Anyways..The oak in question is in oregon state.We don't have oak wilt on this coast.And DED is not a factor on western oaks.Unless someone knows otherwise.We don't paint.....I'm still open though....

cheers

Sheesh...And I thought you guys were going to give the guy crap for cutting on a ladder. Just when I thought I had this place figured out. I'm a tool.:jester:
247390d1344098189-006-jpg

He took the picture from the ladder but the cuts were done by his "ex business partner" with no mention of technique used. But if it was evident that the cuts were made from the ladder I am sure we would not be having this conversation now.

]Sheesh...And I thought you guys were going to give the guy crap for cutting on a ladder.

:msp_rolleyes:Kept my mouth shut..:laugh:

Anyways..The oak in question is in oregon state.We don't have oak wilt on this coast.And DED is not a factor on western oaks.Unless someone knows otherwise.We don't paint.....I'm still open though....

cheers

Ah yeah, the heat from the California sun would make the bark separate like that. I've seen it split and separate on trees that were close the brush being burnt, and they had a lot of sap running out too.

Latest posts

Back