What is wrong with todays "logging, and sawmill methods?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yes and no. One of the leading indicators of a third world economy is the export of raw materials and import of finished goods! We (Canada too) are slowly getting there. I hate seeing raw log exporting, no matter where they're headed.

:agree2:

We are getting closer to them. Third world countries that is.
Raw log exports are not good.

Well, yes and no. One of the leading indicators of a third world economy is the export of raw materials and import of finished goods! We (Canada too) are slowly getting there. I hate seeing raw log exporting, no matter where they're headed.

The Chinese are buying the logs like crazy! Pakistan, Israel as well!

Here in Iowa, we hit our low point last year. Laid off once, mill shut down for awhile, reduced hours etc.

Now for us, the hardwood lumber market is being good to us for the time. Log supply has been good for a long period of time. Before, we were switching species every couple days. Now we can be on one for a week or more.

Even the low grade lumber is moving well in some species. 2A/B & 3A. We have done a few more width sorts with our pallet lumber but nothing major.

Veneer market must still be going strong because our veneer yard has been full most of the year and the container trucks keep rolling in.

Now if you read, our industry is faced with diesease problems. EAB and the canker in Walnut.

If the canker gets out of control, that could cause a problem. Walnut can be the bread and butter but with out the over seas market, it would crash just like oak did a few years ago. I'd like to see the lumber stay here in the states, but when times are tough, you have to do what pays the bills.

I think for the most part, todays logging and sawmill practices are much better than the past. With all the new technology, the lumber recovery from each log is better, bark is ground into mulch, chips are being sold or used in house for heat etc. for kilns. Times these days, are calling for a slow down in how mills go about things, being more aware of all aspects of processing and finding ways to improve it, weather big or small.

The Hardwood Forest Foundation has some interesting facts on the amount of timber we have today and our rate of harvest compared to the past. According to them, the majority of the industry is doing things right. You'll always have those who don't in any industry.

I don't think we are out of the woods yet and there might be another down turn.

I wish everyone in the forest industry is able to hang on and keep plugging away. There are better times ahead for all of us.

Around here you won't see any 1200 acre clearcuts, thank God.
We still have to many people having their logging done "old school", logger knocks on their door, hands them a check, rapes the woodlot. Not a good thing.
Two farmers I know have managed woodlots, Forester managed, what species are in demand, gets harvested, thats all.
They do well.
One major factor being the harvest money isn't needed for day to day operations, its a bonus check. To many people only harvest when the need $$$$ arises, makes for poor forest managment, poor wood quality for the end user and a pizz poor forest for future generations.

An often seen situtation is logger knocks on door, offers $$$ for woods. The owners are elderly, no longer farming, farmland is leased out providing (at least) enough to pay the property taxes. Kind of a "get rich quick" scheme. Landowner pockets $$$$, that they don't need, as their living comfortably (raised in the depression era, penny pinchers). They soon pass on, heirs that don't care about anything except how big their cut of the estate is are the only ones (other than the logger) who benifit from the greed.

Ed

The Chinese are buying the logs like crazy! Pakistan, Israel as well!

Hm, hadn't heard of the latter two; that's interesting. At least China is starting to buy finished lumber from us in some significant quantities now too. If we can just get India on board more, combined with some decent domestic market growth through building code changes allowing larger wooden structures (like BC has done recently), we should be pretty stable and a lot less reliant on the volatility and trade wars with the US.

Hm, hadn't heard of the latter two; that's interesting. At least China is starting to buy finished lumber from us in some significant quantities now too. If we can just get India on board more, combined with some decent domestic market growth through building code changes allowing larger wooden structures (like BC has done recently), we should be pretty stable and a lot less reliant on the volatility and trade wars with the US.

We got an order for 2 container full loads of Hackberry going to Israel... Dad said "Iv been in this industry for 30 some years and never even seen 2 container or hackberry!." haha

Back