What is your primary use mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your primary use mill?

• Mini mill or similar

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Small log mill or similar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alaskan

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Single Beam or Rail mill

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Double Beam or Rail mill

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Band Mill

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Swing Mill

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other (please post details)

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bob,

My mill is a semi, look like an Alaskan mill.

jerry-

attachment.php

I use a Logosol Big Mill basic, I use it mounted to a log table, cause I can stand upright to use it.:)
I have tried it mounted directly to the log, out in the woods to make a few square cants.

100_0064.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks to everyone who posted so far.

I'm surprised there are no small mill owners registering - surely there must be some out there.

This is a very interesting poll because the same poll in Australia would have probably the swing and band millers the other way around.

Thanks to everyone who posted so far.

I'm surprised there are no small mill owners registering - surely there must be some out there.

This is a very interesting poll because the same poll in Australia would have probably the swing and band millers the other way around.

I can pick my Logosol up with one hand
It is a small mill .
:)

I think I voted for my Alakan a couple days ago, but not sure, so I voted again. I've only been able to cut 3 nice Poplar slabs and then all of the snow hit. I've got 2 nice cherry logs to attack and my friend told me about the big logs his neighbor pulled from under his log house that was built in the early 1700's. Will get pics of all ASAP, Joe.

Wood-Mizer LT40 super hydraulic, dad bought it new in '96 and turned it over to me when I started college. No better way to make money fast for tuition. I have about 6 jobs lined up right now if the weather would ever cooperate, hopefully during spring break.

The Logosol M7 covers most of my needs; some 2" for shed framing and 1" for sheathing, shelving etc and the occasional slab for a mantle or bench. I don't need speed or efficiancy. I have the time and I enjoy the pace of CSMs. If I ever need higher production a couple of neighbours have bandsaw mills I could get in.

Woodland Bumblebee Single Rail Mill

Greetings from a true ArboristSite :newbie:

I've used a single rail carriage mill called a Woodland Bumblebee since around 1980, mostly with a Pioneer P50, on walnut, catalpa, sycamore, douglas fir, birch, yew, hybrid poplar, elm, etc. to compliment another hobby - woodworking. Always have heated with wood too, so even though an infrequent hobby, it fits into a lifestyle well.

Nice to see a resource like this, it's sure interesting what can pop up on a internet search these days....

Woodland Bumblebee CSM

Dated images, before digital cameras and wife who is excellent cook...

Minimum thickness usually cut is 2 1/4". After air drying, break down more with Hitachi resaw. Mill is a little limited on flat ground to a 30" maximum diameter log cut off the elevator bunks. Mill came with 20' rail for house logs, but made a shorter 12' rail for easier transport. Carriage adjusts to 1/4" increments.

It's always been an infrequent hobby, if a person did much of this probably would want a big electric motor also, or a big fast bandsaw mill. Would like to find a nice running affordable Pioneer P60-62 or similar, although the P50 has been howling pretty good since it survived my first carb rebuild. Thanks for the discussion on Canola oil, I may give something similar a try!

Has anyone switched from 3/8" chain & sprocket to .404 and noticed a milling performance difference?

Dated images, before digital cameras and wife who is excellent cook...

Minimum thickness usually cut is 2 1/4". After air drying, break down more with Hitachi resaw. Mill is a little limited on flat ground to a 30" maximum diameter log cut off the elevator bunks. Mill came with 20' rail for house logs, but made a shorter 12' rail for easier transport. Carriage adjusts to 1/4" increments.

It's always been an infrequent hobby, if a person did much of this probably would want a big electric motor also, or a big fast bandsaw mill. Would like to find a nice running affordable Pioneer P60-62 or similar, although the P50 has been howling pretty good since it survived my first carb rebuild. Thanks for the discussion on Canola oil, I may give something similar a try!

Has anyone switched from 3/8" chain & sprocket to .404 and noticed a milling performance difference?

Gidday Jeff ,
Good pics , good looking slabs too.
hey , what make of mill is that ?

Jock

Latest posts

Back