What Kind of Pine/Evergreen Do You Burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White pine, red or scotch pine...

The white depends on how knotty it is...

Sone of whatever I have burns pretty dang good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I put in a small load with cherry and 2 large splits of Norway pine this afternoon for a quick burn. 4 hours later I am still burning down the pine. I did not expect this. It seemed light, but maybe there was more water in the pine. Either way I am impressed with its ability to coal. No other experience and I don't have but a few pieces of it dry right now. I have some Norway pine cut down this fall. Will have to see how it does next year.

whatever I can get my paws on..........around these parts it's hemlock, balsam, white spruce, and several varieties of pine, cedar also but only use that for kindling, building log saunas and milling into some nice lumber.

I put in a small load with cherry and 2 large splits of Norway pine this afternoon for a quick burn. 4 hours later I am still burning down the pine. I did not expect this. It seemed light, but maybe there was more water in the pine. Either way I am impressed with its ability to coal. No other experience and I don't have but a few pieces of it dry right now. I have some Norway pine cut down this fall. Will have to see how it does next year.
You have cherry in MN? Whereabouts are you located?

you pretty much nailed them all in your op statement! any of the spf wood will make for a hot fire, but not last without burning a fair mix of it green along the way! hot bed of coals is the trick to keeping a longer spf fire! choke it down and let it simmer.... I use two hot fires each day when burning spf, first fire of the day and last before turning in! keeps the flue free and clear of creosote.....

Lots of eastern white pine here. I don't mind burning it on the weekend when I can keep shoving more in.
a little red pine, hemlock and an occasional atlantic white cedar blow down.
A dead landscape fir of some sort I css last year and it burns kinda nice - lots of big flame, lasts a bit longer than EWP.

I have a near unlimited supply of Virginia Pine, so that makes up about 75% of my firewood. This pine is about 50% knots so its splits like hell but burns decent. I keep the limited amount of oak reserved for overnight burns.

Spruce. I hate cutting it, I'm allergic to it apparently. I just did 2 cords tonight, can't hardly breathe now.

Not sure that tamarack is an evergreen or pine. I burn mostly tamarack & Doug fir in the cold months and lodge pole pine as shoulder season wood. Not much white pine around & white fir burns really quick.

Tamarack is considered a deciduous tree and is part of the pine family.

Beat me to it. The deciduous conifer. We don't have enough around here to consider using them for firewood!

We have a lot of Eastern White Pine and White Spruce here in Ontario.
Lots of evergreens here including White Cedar, Red Pine and Eastern White Pine, Eastern White Spruce, Black Spruce, Balsam Fir, Eastern Hemlock and Eastern Red Cedar.
I use some of those as kindling fire-starter and some pine limbs under stacks to keep wood off the ground.
Evergreen "uglies" get thrown into the wood stove from time to time. Some gets burned in the outdoor fire-bowl.

I love all pine.

Burn quite a bit of Norway (Red), Jack Pine, Tamarack (Swamp), and some White.

The pitchier the better.:blob2:
6D0DC950-6841-44DB-A522-7184440CD1C4_zpsw95rpd1i.jpg

I love walking into the stove house and seeing all of these little gold beads light up on the ends when the headlamp hits it.

Softwoods here--Balsam Fir, White/Black/Red Spruce---are most of the storm blowdowns. They take over in "doghair spruce" thicks the years after a
cut. Those are used for shoulder fires, the sauna, the workshop. White Pine however is a valuable timber tree, so they're saved and branched for 16'
logs. Spruce and fir can take over a cut in only a few years.
Tamarak or larch are also value trees. Roots are used for wooden boat knees. We call it the "almost pregnant" softwood since it's deciduous.

Douglas-fir is the preferred firewood in these parts. It is not a true fir. The scientific name, Pseudotsuga menziesii means False Hemlock. I also burn Western Hemlock, and will probably be burning some of our native Western Red Cedar because it grows on my place and needs thinning. I'm not sure what kind of heat that'll put out.

white pine, cause it's f'in everywhere. I dropped one dead standing last year and burned it in the pit in the rain the same day. Once I got the 4 inch thick vein of pure pitch in the middle to light, it went up like a match head. Smelled amazing. Got to use my buds brand new log splitter he left here too. Boy was he impressed when he came over and found me juicing pine logs in his formerly spotless splitter.

Lots of Hemlock in the mountains of NY where we camped and also where my dad used to hunt in UP of Michigan. None here.

King pine? Havent heard of that before...

Every so often we get some pine lumber that is heavier than heck and loaded with sap. It's definitely not Norway pine so I'm not sure if it is Tamarack or someone mentioned doug fir heartwood.

Latest posts

Back