What Kind of Pine/Evergreen Do You Burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e-writing is all I can manage. Just don't want to be banned before I find out once and for all what the best 2stroke oil is and what ratio I need.

Slowp, a good bracing walk will do wonders for ya. Enjoy!
Well I don't see nothing here to ban anyone over. But since you ask Stihl Ultra is the best.:innocent:

So start talking about firewood.
Wood wood wood, I love wood. How much moisture should be in my pine when I burn it for free in Ohio after splitting it with a 6 lb ( or is it 8) maul while scrounging it from the PNW?

Wood, wood. Where is Woodbooga you all talk about ?
More wood.
Wood.

Not only with softwoods but with the lighter woods like tulip poplar I leave it in much larger pieces but do split some down small for starting and rekindling fires. I'll season yellow pine for two years and can get a piece through the front two doors of the stove that is just a little over 10 inches in diameter. On a bed of coals it takes off and burns for a quite a long time. The stove doesn't put out maximum heat output during this burn (50%?) so it's best not to do it when heat demand is high.

I will never say I would not burn pine again, cause one day may have too but long as their plenty of oak and hardwoods the pine will stay in the woods. Another reason I don't like pine is I cut most of my wood in the summer and the sticky pine tar gets on everything.

I've noticed that white pine likes to break off higher up the tree in wind storms and when the tree or branches hit the ground they literally shatter. I suppose the stuff is so light there just isn't enough strength there. As opposed to jack or norway pine where it takes a lot to break one and usually the root ball comes with due to the rocky ground it was growing in.

White pine, yellow pine and hemlock come out of my woods a lot. Some spruce, try to use them early and late in the season but this year I'll be in to them by the end of this month or early next month when the hard woods are gone.

We burn a considerable amount of eastern red cedar. I cut a lot of cedar for the local log mills. There are always scraps and blocks and such left over at the prep site. Since I don't like to waste anything if its big enough to make a stick out of we load it up with the other furnace wood and it burns. I am sure it doesn't have the same btu's but its part of the processing clean up.

When you cut it green in below freezing temps there is zero sap to worry about.

I just got done tipping over 8 (good sized for here) Doug-fir for a friend. Full of mistle toe, real bad. Doug-fir is no piss fir, but it was nice not dealing with any sap.

So as to stay on topic and not hurt Pulps feelings, I should mention that I'll be loading it up next week and burning it next winter.

I've burned about 2.5 cords of white and several varieties of spruce. It's the "great hurricane experiment" as we call it here. So many of them got knocked over so I figured I'd try burning it and either prove or disprove the myth that pine will only result in chimney fires and gunked up equipment. The one thing I can confirm is that my X27 and several chainsaws are permanently "tacky". Burned about a cord at the end of last year and the flue was no different than other years. Since pine seems to be the only wood you can still get on craigslist for free, I'll burn it here. Might as well sell the other stuff and make the money when I can as opposed to sending it up the chimney.
with this post,,you just pissed off all the elitist wood snobs..................:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::clap:

Lol, love your sense of humor.

If someone joins in and starts posting right away and more importantly doesn't show up with an attitude ie you or ambull01, you will fit in pretty quickly. If a guy posts here and there, people don't get to know him/her as quickly. I've seen pulp post sporadically and I haven't read enough to formulate an opinion on him. Some like slowp already have.
:clap::clap:

I am hurt.
Yup, we do burn softwoods, only in the shoulder seasons. Never a problem with creosote with any wood
as long as you burn right. Right also that softwoods ( spruce and fir here in N. Maine ) crack in windy snow storms. An early November wet snow with gale winds dropped thousands of trees.
So as to stay on topic and not hurt Pulps feelings, I should mention that I'll be loading it up next week and burning it next winter.
And please, use grammatical marks correctly--it's " Pulp's" dammit. You write like a Fru Fru.
P.S. Bitterroot is Idaho ?

Latest posts

Back