What kind of tires you running on the P/U?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoroilmccall

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, its time for new tires on the old Dodge Cummins. Sick of these BFG A/T's that I've had forever, they gum up with mud and leave you stranded in places that are downright embarrassing. So I'm curious to see what you guys use.

I'm looking into M/T's, just because with how wet this summer was, I'm worried I won't be able to get to jobsites in the winter. The only other tire's I'm looking at are the ProComp Xtreme A/T's, I guess they do alright in the mud. So, between the M/T Baja MTX, Cooper STT, Maxxis Bighorn MT, Toyo MT, Hankook MT, or any other MT you can find, whats the best for the price, and most of all, what's on your truck?

I run the cheapest retreads I can get from Schwab. Running some traction retreads now, and I like them.

Since fellows I've cut for had fancy mud tires that worked just as bad, I replaced with a moderate AT tire with descent mileage, and last longer. Couldn't justify it, the mudders, after seeing their's all gummed up anyhow. Momentum and mud skills a better bet.

pro com extreme all Terrain 32x10.50x18 on the daily driver and supper swampers SX 35x15.50x16.5 on the toy

Last edited:
LOVE them !!!!!!!! have about 40k on them and i bet i get another 15k out of them. i have also run good year ats and bfg all Terrain and the cooper all Terrain and like the pro comp the best as far as traction and mi.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I run the Maxis Buckshot Mudders.
Everything is rated as far as how heavy a tire is (10 ply rated), they don't actually have the ply's. Maxis has a couple of extra ply's over the other mfg's as far as same ply rating goes. The tread last pretty good too. I've got about 40K real hard miles on the set I'm running now. That's as good as the BFG's that were on it when I bought it.

Andy

97 CTD 4x4 2500 here...

recently upgraded to 17in aluminum rims/tires from a 2008 2500 dodge. tires are factory Michlins.. feedback says it's not unusual to get 90k+ miles on these tires.

paid $600 for the set with almost no miles. last owner upgraded to after market rims. quite a weight reduction difference from steel rims. larger rims allows a taller tire without taller sidewalls.

best of all ... factory take off 17in 10 ply tires are readily available for cheap.

Firestone Steeltex A.T. got 80,000out of last set on 96 ram2500 with the cummins.good mud and snow traction and quiet 10 ply rating

I think I'm leaning towards the Procomp Xtreme A/T's, about $100 cheaper than the Mickey Thompson's for the set, and I want the nice ride and lower noise level. Plus the mileage gains and how much longer they'll last over the M/T's.

AT tires do better on the road in the winter and in the rain. One thing to keep in mind that will help more than tires sometimes, is a LSD in the rear or locker.

'81 K20

General Grabber AT2 LT245/75R16 load range E.

Seem to be doing pretty well so far.

bridgestone AT dueler revo
I am on my second set on my 03 2500hd duramax and I love em. Great all around tire. Whoever post the steeltex AT as a good tire is on crack. These came stock on my truck and you could literally get stuck in what I would consider a mud puddle, also I only got about 45,000 miles out of them. Get the revo's and you will not regret it.
:givebeer:

I've got a dodge/cummins and my opinion is it does not matter what tire you run, the truck sucks in the mud. I've run 265/16 factory tires up to 315/17 H2 take-offs, and no matter what the truck handles poorly in mud. Never been stuck more than in this truck.

I live in north Louisiana and we have had Gustav coming through, so yesterday before the winds hit I went to make sure my box stand was secured well to withstand the winds........the road was not horrible, but pretty slick.........it was the closest I have come to getting stuck and actually making it out. I think it has to do with the truck being so heavy on the front, and light in the back.

I only post because what works well on a gasoline 1/2 ton pickup is likely not the answer for the heavy diesel. I love my truck, for pulling heavy loads, getting good fuel economy, etc., but it just stinks in mud.

Waylan

gotta agree .... my 97 4x4 CTD when I was running 2.85 70R-16 mud tires would still get stuck ... if I didn't watch it.

only time I get off-road is during deer season... ground is mostly frozen.. so no problems most of the time... leery of getting into mud.. no matter what tires I'm running..

extra weight of cummins engine, 8,000lb+ truck has got to be a factor... my old FJ60 landcruiser with it's 5,300lbs was nimble off-road with street tires.

I've got a dodge/cummins and my opinion is it does not matter what tire you run, the truck sucks in the mud. I've run 265/16 factory tires up to 315/17 H2 take-offs, and no matter what the truck handles poorly in mud. Never been stuck more than in this truck.

I live in north Louisiana and we have had Gustav coming through, so yesterday before the winds hit I went to make sure my box stand was secured well to withstand the winds........the road was not horrible, but pretty slick.........it was the closest I have come to getting stuck and actually making it out. I think it has to do with the truck being so heavy on the front, and light in the back.

I only post because what works well on a gasoline 1/2 ton pickup is likely not the answer for the heavy diesel. I love my truck, for pulling heavy loads, getting good fuel economy, etc., but it just stinks in mud.

Waylan

Last edited:

Waylan

Waylan,
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. What works for one truck isn't neccessarily the best option on another. That diesel engine is like a boat anchor in the mud on a 2 wheel drive, but on a 4 wheel drive it can be an advantage. Another consideration is different conditions. In Louisiana, where you are the mud gets real deep, so a wider agressive flotation type tire might be the best option there. Here there's not much top soil before you get to limestone so a narrower agressive tire might work best. Where ever you go, and what ever you do, if you choose tires for a better ride, and less noise on the highway you will sacrafice at least some ability to get around in adverse conditions.

Andy

Back