What kind of wood am I splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelitexl903

CAD...The struggle is real.
Reaction score
I looked at tree species here in Maine and couldn't identify what type I have been cutting and splitting. I'm not sure if this is the best spot to post this but don't know where else to post. I tried to get as many pictures as I could. It kinda smells good freshly cut and split. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
My phone camera and time of day may have not done this wood justice but everything about it now that I know what it is dead and alive says black cherry. I'm just using it for camp fires and selling it as camp fire wood to the tourists. I did make a bunch of thick wood cookie rounds for the wife for a new walkway... makes her happy but gunna be a pain to shovel come winter time. I didn't know this wood was in demand milled up. I have plenty of saws worthy of milling but haven't tried that yet. What are folks using the black cherry for?

Excuse to break in new saws and bust out the vintage saws. Most of the property is big black cherry and some straight enough to think about milling.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
The fresh stuff cut or split smells good to me. The old dead stuff gets a strange dry sponge like layer between the bark and actual wood layer about an inch thick.

I've split that stuff before. That was the only picture I recognized. I hate splitting cherry the axe just stops when it hits it.

I've split that stuff before. That was the only picture I recognized. I hate splitting cherry the axe just stops when it hits it.
The fresh cut wood isn't bad, it's that old wood with a hard center and a sticky outer layer then bark that gave me trouble with an axe. It's really strange why the last few years of growth turn into that white styrofoam layer

I looked at tree species here in Maine and couldn't identify what type I have been cutting and splitting. I'm not sure if this is the best spot to post this but don't know where else to post. I tried to get as many pictures as I could. It kinda smells good freshly cut and split. Any help would be great.
Black Cherry. No mistaking that bark.

My phone camera and time of day may have not done this wood justice but everything about it now that I know what it is dead and alive says black cherry. I'm just using it for camp fires and selling it as camp fire wood to the tourists. I did make a bunch of thick wood cookie rounds for the wife for a new walkway... makes her happy but gunna be a pain to shovel come winter time. I didn't know this wood was in demand milled up. I have plenty of saws worthy of milling but haven't tried that yet. What are folks using the black cherry for?
It's used mostly in cabinetry, fine furniture, decorative uses such as in musical instruments and inlays in furniture, can be used as veneer too.

Latest posts

Back