What kind of wood, Chain bounces off of it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this wood and it knocks the teeth of the chain and i'm tired of replacing chain. Also feels a lot heavier than normal.

:laugh: That's Arkansas King Fossiloak - Quercusaurus arkansana rex.

Boy, gonna have to reconsider my firewood terminology. I call the dead 'n downed 10+ year stuff fossiloak. Bark and sapwood long gone but the heavy-grained heatwood as tight as a mallard's sphincter. Like burning dinosaur bones in the woodstove.

So, I gotta ask - how's that stuff burn?

Boy, gonna have to reconsider my firewood terminology. I call the dead 'n downed 10+ year stuff fossiloak. Bark and sapwood long gone but the heavy-grained heatwood as tight as a mallard's sphincter. Like burning dinosaur bones in the woodstove.

It appears to be plenty seasoned tho...

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Nobody mentioned the round ones! Are they petrified wood also? I think they might be glacier stones. Did the Glaciers come down that far? I have a glacier stone that my great grandfather gave me when I was a boy. He was a farmer and found it on the farm. The glaciers ride on top of stones like this ball barrings and over time they are turned round. Awesome finds! I would love to go digging for stuff like that!!!

Nate

Burn??....Heck..I wanna see how it splits first...

Nobody mentioned the round ones! Are they petrified wood also? I think they might be glacier stones. Did the Glaciers come down that far? I have a glacier stone that my great grandfather gave me when I was a boy. He was a farmer and found it on the farm. The glaciers ride on top of stones like this ball barrings and over time they are turned round. Awesome finds! I would love to go digging for stuff like that!!!

Nate[/QUOTE]Maybe Fred Flintstones pet, Dino, passed a coupla kidney stones???:hmm3grin2orange:

Nate[/QUOTE]I believe those are lava bubbles, Shoot you may be right too.

Back