What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got a small load of newly cut wood from a friend. They were taking down a tree to make room for a garage, and they're on the way home, so why not?

However, I don't know what it is. I just got a quick look at it before it was cut down. It was growing in the shade of some larger trees, so the shape won't help much - it was pretty malformed. It was about 60' high, I'd say.

It has a sweet smell, so I'm thinking some kind of fruit wood, perhaps.

Just got a small load of newly cut wood from a friend. They were taking down a tree to make room for a garage, and they're on the way home, so why not?

However, I don't know what it is. I just got a quick look at it before it was cut down. It was growing in the shade of some larger trees, so the shape won't help much - it was pretty malformed. It was about 60' high, I'd say.

It has a sweet smell, so I'm thinking some kind of fruit wood, perhaps.

thats cherry not real dense but good fire wood and coals real well. don,t require a lot of drying time either

I call it wild cherry. My old boss used to call it choke cherry,not sure why. :cheers:

Why? Because they are closely related species, and he couldn't tell the difference. (The leaves are a little different and also the general size of the tree.)

To the OP, I'd say it's prunus serotina ("wild black cherry" or just "black cherry").

Sounds good, guys. I was thinking cherry by the smell, but I didn't want to mention it before I heard some responses. By the shape, it's certainly not the typical domestic cherry trees we have around here. Wild cherry makes sense.

I've been pleased with the burning characteristics of the various fruit woods I've tried, so most of this will go in the firewood stash. I think I'll have to save some of this for next summer's barbecues!

Thanks! :cheers:

They're already at home in it, coog! :(

Somebody mentioned it doesn't need much drying. How much? This stuff was just cut on Thursday.

Back