What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secord20

Reaction score
I was told it was an oak but it seems like maybe a cottonwood. It was a blown down in an area of with many oaks. The bark is deep ridged like some oaks/cottonwoods. Splitting green its very difficult because it is very stringy. Most Bark falls off when split but the rounds are 30" plus. Doesn't smell like the oak i'm used to when split. Has a lemon color when split. Heavy but its still wet/green. Branching on the tree looked like an oak but its close enough to a cottonwood also. No leaves left on the tree. any ideas?

What are you going to use it for?...It makes good early or late season wood for when you need to just take the chill off...

what i meant was lots of work to split green. cutting it up was the easy part. Splitting this is nuts even with splitter. or should I say splitter and hatchet to break the strings apart.

On the top of the i will agree with you.
Once you get to the base of the tree you will get the strings,let er sit for a year then try it (no more strings).
Unless you you need it NOW,buck it for stove size and let er' dry,easier on you and your splitter.
I have split a many of cord of cottonwood. (1500+)
You will have to clean ashes alot if you have never burn't it.(low BTU'S also).
If you have 2-3" bark turn it on ebay,myself and others carve with it.
Mark

Last edited:
Back