What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it is not a good idea to keep a center in the tail stock when it is idle. The center is capable of some nasty puncture wounds if you forget it is there and withdraw work from the chuck and ram your elbow or forearm/wrist into it. I've seen it happen more than once. When I am turning without the tail stock I like to keep a Jacobs chuck in the quill with the jaws retracted. Minimal damage to my person if I wack the front of the chuck with my elbow. The smaller the lathe, the more important this tip becomes.

Actually, it is not a good idea to keep a center in the tail stock when it is idle. The center is capable of some nasty puncture wounds if you forget it is there and withdraw work from the chuck and ram your elbow or forearm/wrist into it. I've seen it happen more than once. When I am turning without the tail stock I like to keep a Jacobs chuck in the quill with the jaws retracted. Minimal damage to my person if I wack the front of the chuck with my elbow. The smaller the lathe, the more important this tip becomes.

I usually use a center drill to stab myself.......

And leave a chuck key in the chuck. I lose the darn things all the time.

You haven't lived until you get one stuck to your lip, go to spit it off, and it sticks to your tongue.

Does it compare to a 10mm shell casing fresh from the Glock Mod. 20 chamber dropping out of the sky to stick to your eyelid behind your glasses?

Does it compare to a 10mm shell casing fresh from the Glock Mod. 20 chamber dropping out of the sky to stick to your eyelid behind your glasses?

Yes, they are comparable, along with .308WIN brass from an M1A stuck between the collar of your shooting coat and your neck.

You haven't lived until you get one stuck to your lip, go to spit it off, and it sticks to your tongue.

For those of you who don't do this everyday, you can't make stuff like that up. I got a good one off a face mill cutting 8620 about a month ago. Nice thick chip (0.007" IPT, 0.100" DOC) right up to the nose. Came home with one nostril looking like Rudolf's. Honorable mention goes to getting it in the ear and hearing it sizzle...

Those who weld have good burn stories, just like you guys machining.

Up the nose, in the ear, the eye, burn through a shoe between your big toe.

My all time favorite is a good hot bugger burning through your pants and planting itself in your groin. :cry:

For those of you who don't do this everyday, you can't make stuff like that up. I got a good one off a face mill cutting 8620 about a month ago. Nice thick chip (0.007" IPT, 0.100" DOC) right up to the nose. Came home with one nostril looking like Rudolf's. Honorable mention goes to getting it in the ear and hearing it sizzle...

The old face mill will wear you out. One job I cut runs a 5" mill at 260rpm with an .011 FPT. It sounds like hail hitting the way covers. I get the hell out of the AO running that part.

BTW Nik, the Rudolph comment about made me spit my drink out!

My all time favorite is a good hot bugger burning through your pants and planting itself in your groin. :cry:

I weld a bit. My favorite is the slag that falls on the cuff of your pants, burns through and drops into your boot. As it burns it's way through your sock and into your skin you know it's no good to get in any kind of hurry because your blood will have it cooled off by the time you get to it.

Little wet spot in the corner of your eye by the nose.
Yippee I'm not blind!!!! LOL

Aluminum when the chip sticks.

And the all time favorite. Chips hitting your arm/any body part when you are cutting to a face on a finishing cut and can't pull back till you finish the cut.

Or like looking at clouds, looking at your new brand and wondering what it looks like.

Yup got a few of them yesterday. Chipping .045 gas flux core and one jumped down my shirt, so i pulled out my shirt bottom and it went right in my underwear. I should have kept my big belly for protection :) The other one went right in my shoe top and burned right thru my sock and into my heel where its going to get rubbed raw for weeks. Here is what i was welding...Bob

Yup got a few of them yesterday. Chipping .045 gas flux core and one jumped down my shirt, so i pulled out my shirt bottom and it went right in my underwear. I should have kept my big belly for protection :) The other one went right in my shoe top and burned right thru my sock and into my heel where its going to get rubbed raw for weeks. Here is what i was welding...Bob

What you make there ????

Latest posts

Back