What made these holes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howsitgoineh

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figured this may be the best place to pose this question, I have seen various bug holes, and woodpecker holes.
But not like this.. it appears to be a series of holes all approximately 1/8" diameter, in a linear form. It's a maple tree, not 100% sure what species.
Any ideas what creature would have done this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_174340376_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240322_174340376_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240322_174331276_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240322_174331276_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
Sapsucker or Pileated Woodpecker would be my guess. I've sat on my deck and watched one go after a tree like that stopping to listen every couple of holes.

Thanks guys. Looking at the holes I was concerned about the health of the tree. Glad to know it's benign
Sapsuckers. Usually that pattern is because some beetle larva move in that pattern eating the cambium layer as they mature. One attack will not be enough to girdle the tree and kill it. It is a series of stagard hits above and below that cuts of the cambium layer (food passage of the tree)
The escalating birds hear them underneath.

On the first pic, it looks like another attack about 6" above to the left?

Idk what would attack a Maple with that pattern. Asian Long Horn Beetle but they lay eggs on twigs but do go in the trunk soft tissues. Idk enough about them.
MPB and other pine beetles have been known to go into other species.
Anymore obvious patterns further up?

Sapsuckers. Usually that pattern is because some beetle larva move in that pattern eating the cambium layer as they mature. One attack will not be enough to girdle the tree and kill it. It is a series of stagard hits above and below that cuts of the cambium layer (food passage of the tree)
The escalating birds hear them underneath.

On the first pic, it looks like another attack about 6" above to the left?

Idk what would attack a Maple with that pattern. Asian Long Horn Beetle but they lay eggs on twigs but do go in the trunk soft tissues. Idk enough about them.
MPB and other pine beetles have been known to go into other species.
Anymore obvious patterns further up?
The second photo is the attack pattern you are seeing in the left side of the first photo. Wasn't able to get a good shot of it that day, it was freezing and wind was howling. Also I am short so I barely caught any if it in the frame. I'll post a couple more and have a look for any other noticeable damage in the bark

We’ve got trees that were planted in the 1930’s with them. Typical of non flaky bark.

Sapsuckers. I've seen them do that on most all kinds of trees, Oaks, even pine trees.

I sometimes think them sapsuckers are marking their territory. (seeing who can pee the furthest)
I've seen trees where the sapsucker stopped doing such and the bark would eventually heal but leave the scars.

Back