What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS261 cost a lot less than the 346xp here, but I am still not interested, because of the obvious handling issue.........:msp_smile:

Agree with you on the handling, biggest thing i find is the throttle lock lever that i can't seem to be friend with, it don't give me the room for movement of my hand that i like , but they are strong saws out of the box for sure !!
I looked at the ipl for the 555 can't wait to see what that saw will be like in the woods :)

And to the thread starter i think you should buy both of them !!

Last edited:
My Mac 47A has a obvious handling issue.. I wasn't aware the 261 suffered from the same problem :confused:

I hear ya Wayne. Until I read up on the specs I wasn't aware that my 3120 with 60" bar handled poorly either? :msp_confused:

Lets see, round here you can get a 346xp for $428.24. An ms261 is $549, if you can actually find a dealer who will admit they exist. With the ms261, you get some way cool flippy caps, more weight, a 90 commercial warrantee (best in the industry!!), and an archaic brick and mortar company featuring no online parts or even a simple IPL. Sign me up for a bakers dozen. Nothing screams “homeowner” like a stihl.

I searched through some threads and don't recall seeing a ton of info re the 261 vs 346. Maybe I missed something.

Sorry this just struck me as funny if you have been on this forum awhile.:hmm3grin2orange:

Its all in the flippy caps, they make all the difference in the world!

Them thare flippy caps are the spawn of the devil.

They are both excellent saws, but I still prefer my 346.

Key quote in the whole thread right there.

IMHO the 261, the 346 and the 5105 are the 3 best choices in their class. Each has strengths, each has weaknesses.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference on which one you like best (and which one's flaws you can look past).

Yes it has. I also find it odd when someone starts a thread, then does not participate.:confused:

Haha...I'm a guy with many things on his plate. Haven't had time to reply....or the inclination, really. Just been enjoying the responses and taking it all in. It's the time of yr I start salvaging firewood and trimming on the homestead and just by pure chance, saw that the 261 was even a reality.

I did a search, and did see a fair number of threads.....but in my quick look, didn't see too much on the finer differences between 261 and 346. There's probably more than I saw but these threads tend to get side tracked and I just don't have the time to wade through every single post. Besides, I know you guys love talking about these things.:smile2:

What about the handling "issues" with the 261? Is this an inside like joke I missed or is there really something to it?

Also, I forgot to mention the local farm store that carries Huskys. I consider them some where between Home Depot and a dedicated dealer. They could order me a 346 I'm sure but I'd probably be locked in, sight unseen. They have had 353's in stock though. Seems I remember that saw being identical externally as the 346. If true, I could at least get a hands-on feel. In yrs past, I couldn't find a single dealer in the state who carried 346's. Some seem completely unfamiliar with them. A 261 and parts on the other hand are just 5 minutes away. A 346, how ever good it may be, is non-existent. Doesn't seem to bode well for parts either, should I need them. I'd still be open to getting a 346 though....if it were that magical. From what I can tell though, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.....for me.

Ok, how's that for participating?

I prefer the Grilled cheese to the regular peanut butter.

images

Not having handled a 261, I would have agree with Brad based on what I have read. I think it boils down to lighter and more nimble vs a little stronger, heavier, and not as nimble. But all of these differences are relatively minor and any advantage could easily be washed out due to dealer support. If you plan to mostly buck with the saw, then the 261 is probably a slightly better choice. If you are going to have a limbing saw, then the 346 is probably the better saw for you.

Not having handled a 261, I would have agree with Brad based on what I have read. I think it boils down to lighter and more nimble vs a little stronger, heavier, and not as nimble. But all of these differences are relatively minor and any advantage could easily be washed out due to dealer support. If you plan to mostly buck with the saw, then the 261 is probably a slightly better choice. If you are going to have a limbing saw, then the 346 is probably the better saw for you.

Limbing vs bucking. Good point.

Has anyone weighed both of these saws? (i don't trust specs)

Also, about my earlier question if the 353 and 346 are the same saws in terms of ergonomics and what not. Are they? I think the farm store has a 353. I could go swing it around in the isle to get a feel for a 346....if there were indeed the same.

Back