What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Limbing vs bucking. Good point.

Has anyone weighed both of these saws? (i don't trust specs)

Also, about my earlier question if the 353 and 346 are the same saws in terms of ergonomics and what not. Are they? I think the farm store has a 353. I could go swing it around in the isle to get a feel for a 346....if there were indeed the same.

They are - the engine is the only difference.

Lets see, round here you can get a 346xp for $428.24. An ms261 is $549, if you can actually find a dealer who will admit they exist. With the ms261, you get some way cool flippy caps, more weight, a 90 commercial warrantee (best in the industry!!), and an archaic brick and mortar company featuring no online parts or even a simple IPL. Sign me up for a bakers dozen. Nothing screams “homeowner” like a stihl.

Where can you get a 346xp for $428.24?
They want $510 at my local dealer.

That is what most of the homeowners and a lot of farmers use for their firewood and farm work is 50cc saws and they say they're plenty big enough. The husky dealers closest to me doesn't stock a 346. No one is convinced the price is worth it over the 353, 450, and 455. He usually keeps a 576 in stock and a 385 or 395 and homeowner saws.

That is what most of the homeowners and a lot of farmers use for their firewood and farm work is 50cc saws and they say they're plenty big enough. The husky dealers closest to me doesn't stock a 346. No one is convinced the price is worth it over the 353, 450, and 455. He usually keeps a 576 in stock and a 385 or 395 and homeowner saws.

You're right. Around here, most of the folks that cut and heat with wood think the 039 is a big saw. Anything over that is "just for loggers". The funny thing is, they seem to be getting by ok...:hmm3grin2orange: If they need a new saw, it'll be a farm boss or rancher... Marketing... It is what it is.:dizzy:

My grandpas big saw is a 028 farm boss. Now he calls me if there's bigger trees down he wants cut out of his pasture or fence. I cut an oak around 60" on the stump loose a month or so ago. The fence was nailed to it and it fell in a storm. Used the 660 and a 41" bar on it.

Haha...I'm a guy with many things on his plate. Haven't had time to reply....or the inclination, really. Just been enjoying the responses and taking it all in. It's the time of yr I start salvaging firewood and trimming on the homestead and just by pure chance, saw that the 261 was even a reality.

I did a search, and did see a fair number of threads.....but in my quick look, didn't see too much on the finer differences between 261 and 346. There's probably more than I saw but these threads tend to get side tracked and I just don't have the time to wade through every single post. Besides, I know you guys love talking about these things.:smile2:

What about the handling "issues" with the 261? Is this an inside like joke I missed or is there really something to it?

Also, I forgot to mention the local farm store that carries Huskys. I consider them some where between Home Depot and a dedicated dealer. They could order me a 346 I'm sure but I'd probably be locked in, sight unseen. They have had 353's in stock though. Seems I remember that saw being identical externally as the 346. If true, I could at least get a hands-on feel. In yrs past, I couldn't find a single dealer in the state who carried 346's. Some seem completely unfamiliar with them. A 261 and parts on the other hand are just 5 minutes away. A 346, how ever good it may be, is non-existent. Doesn't seem to bode well for parts either, should I need them. I'd still be open to getting a 346 though....if it were that magical. From what I can tell though, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.....for me.
Ok, how's that for participating?

There, that's MO better.

I have to drive one hour to get to a real Husky dealer. They stock all the XPs and sell a bunch of 346s.

As for 346xp parts. In over 10 years of hard use, I've only needed two clutch springs and 2 fuel lines.

Go handle both and buy what you like. the 353 will feel the same as the 346xp, but wont have quite the zip.
:cheers:

What's laughable is how so many can have opinions on how they "handle" and cut based off what they have read on the internet and based off swinging one around a show room floor.

Bottom line the difference in handling isn't worth a hoot in hell.

Like Brad said, (he's actually owned and run both) they are both excellent saws. The argument on handling is a pizz poor reason not to own either saw. Both saws are capable of cutting all the firewood one person/household can burn in a season with ease. In this part of the country a 036/361 or 357/359 husky is a big saw.
Most people run 029/290 or the Husky equal, lots of 55 ranchers/455's around this part of the woods.

If the truth would be known prolly 85% of the people on AS could get by with a 50cc saw. The old 028 stihl has prolly cut more firewood than any other saw on the market. Even in my operation I could get by with nothing other than four or five 261's and one 044/440/460. There is nothing wrong with being an enthusiast and wanting to have a bigger saw, but most can't be honest with themselves (or their wife) and admit they could get all the firewood they will burn in a season cut with a 50cc saw.

I really don't give much thought to a warranty on a saw, haven't ever needed one in 30+ years of buying saws. Why? I got a dealer that believes in taking care of people. I have no doubt if I blew a saw after the 90 day warranty, he would take care of the saw in a heartbeat. He doesn't distinguish between commercial and home owner's when it comes to warranty. He told me that on the 261 as far he was concerned it had a two year warranty because we participated in the buy a 6-pak of Ultra and double your warranty promotion. I've got a great dealer, being loyal to him for 30 years has paid dividends.

My opinion of how the saws perform has nothing to do with what color they are, it's just how they perform in my particular operation. For limbing/trimming cleaning out fence rows I prolly couldn't tell any difference in either saw. Bucking up hardwood from 10" to 18" I'll take the 261 every time.

The result of Stihl bring out the 261 will hopefully be an improved replacement for the 346xp, all of us win when competition brings better saws to the market.

I haven't run a brand new 346NE, so I can't speak on that. I did get a chance to run a new 261 at the shop the other day and it's a sweetie. Even stock it cuts circles around any 026/260 I've ever had. I have owned new 346OE's and the 261 outclasses those by a mile.

What's the difference between the 346NE and 346OE?

Also, when you say that the new 261 cuts circles around any 260 you've had, were those 260's stock or modded?

I've been fairly content with how my muffler modded 260 runs with the fully adj 026 carb I purchased from you. Will the 261 will perform that good or better?

Thanks.

What's laughable is how so many can have opinions on how they "handle" and cut based off what they have read on the internet and based off swinging one around a show room floor.

Bottom line the difference in handling isn't worth a hoot in hell.

Like Brad said, (he's actually owned and run both) they are both excellent saws. The argument on handling is a pizz poor reason not to own either saw. Both saws are capable of cutting all the firewood one person/household can burn in a season with ease. In this part of the country a 036/361 or 357/359 husky is a big saw.
Most people run 029/290 or the Husky equal, lots of 55 ranchers/455's around this part of the woods.

If the truth would be known prolly 85% of the people on AS could get by with a 50cc saw. The old 028 stihl has prolly cut more firewood than any other saw on the market. Even in my operation I could get by with nothing other than four or five 261's and one 044/440/460. There is nothing wrong with being an enthusiast and wanting to have a bigger saw, but most can't be honest with themselves (or their wife) and admit they could get all the firewood they will burn in a season cut with a 50cc saw.

I really don't give much thought to a warranty on a saw, haven't ever needed one in 30+ years of buying saws. Why? I got a dealer that believes in taking care of people. I have no doubt if I blew a saw after the 90 day warranty, he would take care of the saw in a heartbeat. He doesn't distinguish between commercial and home owner's when it comes to warranty. He told me that on the 261 as far he was concerned it had a two year warranty because we participated in the buy a 6-pak of Ultra and double your warranty promotion. I've got a great dealer, being loyal to him for 30 years has paid dividends.

My opinion of how the saws perform has nothing to do with what color they are, it's just how they perform in my particular operation. For limbing/trimming cleaning out fence rows I prolly couldn't tell any difference in either saw. Bucking up hardwood from 10" to 18" I'll take the 261 every time.

The result of Stihl bring out the 261 will hopefully be an improved replacement for the 346xp, all of us win when competition brings better saws to the market.

Good post. Thanks.

Thanks to all for the informative replies. Looking forward to reading more.

"If the truth would be known prolly 85% of the people on AS could get by with a 50cc saw. The old 028 stihl has prolly cut more firewood than any other saw on the market. Even in my operation I could get by with nothing other than four or five 261's and one 044/440/460. There is nothing wrong with being an enthusiast and wanting to have a bigger saw, but most can't be honest with themselves (or their wife) and admit they could get all the firewood they will burn in a season cut with a 50cc saw."

Yeah, my wife figured that out too. I was getting interested in a Makita 6401 84cc BB when my wife asked the question of 'what's wrong with the one you got?' Little did she know I was also looking at a locally available 395 to play with. - However, she did think the longer 20" bar for the 50cc saw was a good idea, so that was an easy sell. The truth being known, I probably couldn't pick up the 395 with a 28" bar without stuffing up my back worse than it is.

Last edited:
I've not had great experiences with them but these are new and improved versions.[/QUOTE]

So the flip caps have been improved? Starting with the 261?

Stihl just about run me off with flip caps that leaked.

I am much impressed with my 346XP NE with a dual port muffler, and I am considering a 261 for next Fall or Winter.

I could get by with a 50cc saw.

I just don't want to.:hmm3grin2orange:

I've not had great experiences with them but these are new and improved versions.

So the flip caps have been improved? Starting with the 261?

Stihl just about run me off with flip caps that leaked.[/QUOTE]

Not sure when it started as I do not purchase many Stihl saws.....First new one I have purchased for that matter.

The flippys on my 261 are different and so far work which is more than I can say for some in the past. Don't get me wrong....flippy caps don't bother me....I have more things to sweet than a cap LOL. Does burn my hide when the older Husky caps with the O ring leak though:msp_wink:

Edit.....that didn't quote correctly

I basically don't think the MS261 is designed as a 50cc saw should be - It is too heavy, too bulky, and an inboard clutch on a 50cc saw is not a good idea - the bar is too far away from the centre of mass of the saw (that actually makes a big difference regarding handling in the woods).

It may be very good as a small bucking saw, but that is not the point with a 50cc - in my opinion! :D

I prefer the Grilled cheese to the regular peanut butter.

images

you haven`t tried the famous Romanian cheese made in fir tree bark.....
as I read this thread I see two small saws, 346 and 261 capable of making the blood reach the top of our heads in a brand biased war and I can`t help but see myself at my beginnings, asking every question about it and splitting hairs and so on.
are there any other two saws that carry so much passion ?
sure, one is lighter and versatile and one is more powerful and has better filtration, but how big this issue really is? aside from one guy wanting to sleep better knowing that he has got the best saw for his need, those minor details are they more than minor details?
and again regarding the thread called : which is best X or Y ?
it will go on forever; we might aswel enjoy it.
cheers

Where can you get a 346xp for $428.24?
They want $510 at my local dealer.

If you are paying $510 bucks for a 346xp, you just aint trying very hard. Price was up at an open house about 3 weeks ago at a major landscape dealer that sells Kubota and has dealerships in Plaistow, Tilton, and Conway. Don’t know if they will honor the show price but you shure could call and ask if you are serious about it.

Well, even the 353 I was hoping to get my hands on, for a store "346 feel", is being elusive. All the farm store has now are Husky's labeled "Ranchers". Seems odd there are and have been every model of Stihl on every street corner but not a single 346 in the sate, it seems.

Logic tells me to drive around the corner and get the 261....but here I am fascinated by the mysterious.

Back