What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't MCW post his 261 was the strongest 50cc saw he had ever run. If I remember it was ported and he thought it would cut with 70cc saws.
Anyone who hasn't seen the air filter set up on the 261 needs to take a look. There is nothing not to like about it. Nine oz for a stratro design vs non stratro, Stihl did a very good job of keeping the weight down compared to other models in the past (440 vs 441). I've never looked at the fuel and oil capacity of each saw, but how much of the fueled up /bar oil full ready to go power head weight difference can be attributed to smaller/larger full capacity. I'm sure Troll has this at his finger tips. Anyone of the guys that has posted about being vibration sensitive the 261 is the saw for you. One would be hard pressed to ever find a saw with less vibration.
If your a little guy and want light and nimble and worried about weight get you the rear handle version of the 200T.
One of my guys weighs about a 160 goes about 6-1 and whips a dang 044 or 038 around like a light saber, them muscles will build up when you stop fretting and typing and start cutting and splitting.lol

The Stihl is a PRO saw, designed to work every day and hold up.

If you want to save a few dollars and are not in the pro class try the new MS 271 or MS 280, both under 13 lbs.

Husky??? for me never. If you can buy it on the internet, what dealer will want to do service only if you can buy the saw for less than his cost.

Domar??? Owned by the same company as Husky.

Jim, I usually operate under the tenant that when someone wants to make a fool of themselves, I just shut up and let them have at it. But in your case, I just can't do so.

I hope you are PUI and not genuinely this uninformed. I hope you wake up in the morning and realize just how idiotic and inane you comments were.

My 2 cents. I'm a Stihl man, and apparently one of those viewed as being "strong" because I own a MS290, a verifiable "tank" of a saw (love it). I was BS'n with my dealer yesterday as he was putting a bar on a new Husky 346XP with the silver clutch cover. He told me he prefers the outboard clutch system over inboard because it allows the needle bearing / cage to cool better and Husky has a grease fitting for the bearing incorporated. Pretty nifty and makes sense. He also stated every Stihl will have lots of burned up greasy / oily crud under the clutch cover and the bearing almost never gets lubricated, leaving the crank, the most expensive part on the saw, vulnerable to damage.

I believe Husky, with their "air filtration / injection" is a step in the right direction. It seems better than Stihl's filter system. The saw does not have a CAT and is offered new in Sac for $499. I may have to get one of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE

Last edited:
I agree with indiana...i think the peeps talking about a can of soup and a snickers bar should probably go without a few snickers and reevaluate everything. In all honesty you guys are overanlalyzing things to stupidity.

I agree with indiana...i think the peeps talking about a can of soup and a snickers bar should probably go without a few snickers and reevaluate everything. In all honesty you guys are overanlalyzing things to stupidity.

Picking nits is half of what keeps this place interesting. Besides, arguing over chainsaws keeps me ahead of my wife by honing my debating skills!!

Thanks for the extra info guys. Some where in my search here, I ran across a post referring to a 346 replacement in the works (550 if I remember correctly).

Anyone know anything about this? I don't want to purchase a saw only to find out the improved version is soon coming for a few bucks more.

A rumor from Sweden is all I have heard, but I guss it will be built about like the larger 560xp/562xp, and that they are in no hurry to replace the 346xp - time will tell, as usual....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

The Stihl is a PRO saw, designed to work every day and hold up.

If you want to save a few dollars and are not in the pro class try the new MS 271 or MS 280, both under 13 lbs.

Husky??? for me never. If you can buy it on the internet, what dealer will want to do service only if you can buy the saw for less than his cost.

Domar??? Owned by the same company as Husky.

:clap: Thanks for the morning laugh. I almost spewed coffee on the screen.:clap:

Jim, I usually operate under the tenant that when someone wants to make a fool of themselves, I just shut up and let them have at it. But in your case, I just can't do so.

I hope you are PUI and not genuinely this uninformed. I hope you wake up in the morning and realize just how idiotic and inane you comments were.

:agree2:He deserves some prize for that post! :msp_laugh::msp_laugh::ices_rofl:

As has been said by others here. You can't go wrong with either saw. I'm 5'8'' 150 lbs. I have no problems with the MS 261. I have a tree too take down the the MS 250 CBE with 18" B&C can take down. I'll use my 261. Why it's a pro plus I like it better. The more I use it the better it cuts. IF you buy the 261 get it with the yellow chain.

As has been said by others here. You can't go wrong with either saw. I'm 5'8'' 150 lbs. I have no problems with the MS 261. I have a tree too take down the the MS 250 CBE with 18" B&C can take down. I'll use my 261. Why it's a pro plus I like it better. The more I use it the better it cuts. IF you buy the 261 get it with the yellow chain.

This is hardly a matter of going wrong....:D

Actually, you couldn't pay me to eat a Snickers bar! However, evaluating and reevaluating is exactly what I'm doing...and part of that is tapping the knowledge base here on AS while waiting for winter to end.

If I wanted to be machismo, I could don a wife beater shirt and buy myself a 660 or some other beast and toss it around all day while deluding myself into thinking the ladies were impressed. However, my ego's comfortable admitting that I'd rather not toss around 9 extra ounces if I don't have to. I've been unhappy many times when going by the motto of "just gettr' done" but rarely so when I've taken the time to thoroughly analyze. That's my way of getten'r done.:)

A rumor from Sweden is all I have heard, but I guss it will be built about like the larger 560xp/562xp, and that they are in no hurry to replace the 346xp - time will tell, as usual....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

From a post some where here on AS, I was directed to the following translated link. Check out the first two sentences. States replacement for the 346 in 2011.

Google Translate

Husky will replace the 346, but I'm betting a minimum of two years.

Rusty, I'll tell ya how I feel about the 346xp and this after using one hard for over 10 years. If, or when Husky replaces the 346, I would not trade my old one for the new model, even swap, with no money. Actually, I would not trade my old 346 for a new MS261, or any other saw out there.
:cheers:

Lets see, 9oz of gold on the current market will cost you about $13000 bucks. Stihl nothing to sneeze at??

Correct me if I am worng but, so far, the ms261s on AS have needed modifications including removal of the limiter caps (which also voids the warrantee) to run correctly. Why would you pay $550 bucks for this when the 346xp is so easily available for less money and weight? Stihl head must be just gluttons for punishment.

Lets see, 9oz of gold on the current market will cost you about $13000 bucks. Stihl nothing to sneeze at??

Correct me if I am worng but, so far, the ms261s on AS have needed modifications including removal of the limiter caps (which also voids the warrantee) to run correctly. Why would you pay $550 bucks for this when the 346xp is so easily available for less money and weight? Stihl head must be just gluttons for punishment.

Mine is stock and I didn't remove the limiter caps. runs fine and cuts whatever I throw at it.

Mine is stock and I didn't remove the limiter caps. runs fine and cuts whatever I throw at it.

Cool beans, that’s one for the stihl team! What WOT RPM is your saw currently turning?? What bar and chain combo are you running?? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Back