What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cent, I run a 18" .325 set up on my 261 (dead stock) and it performs like my 346 which is set up with a 16" .325 set up.
I loved the 346 xp the year I've run it, it is a fantastic saw.
Imho Stihl did an excellent job using the 346 as a benchmark for the 260 replacement. They really hit the nail on the head with this saw, they had to, or it would have driven even more folks to the 346xpne. I think it's the best new Stihl I've ever had and over the last 30 years is been a bunch of them, 009,180,250, 028, 030,032,361,038s,038mII,041,044,046,460,660 &200.
I've been impressed by some Huskies I've run the 346,350,357,359 and 372, they are all as good as their Stihl counterpart. My issue with Husky is their local dealer, wouldn't buy another saw there period, they don't know ****, have a dumb azz tech and a 20 year old salesman that don't know what end of a saw cuts. If the Stihl dealer was as bad, I guess I'd have to drive 70-80 miles to a dolmar dealer.lol

I've run the 346 and 261 back to back and notice no difference in handling. IMHO, this handlinig thing is blown WAAAAY out of proportion. Where's the science or engineering that says the outboard clutch makes so much difference. Nikko, don't take this personal....even though it is aimed at you:)

+100000000000000 Brad, you are exactly right. I ran both this a.m., they are so close it's splitting hairs. It just boils down to personal preference. For me it's easy, I'm in a Stihl dealer every couple of weeks at a minimum. As posted earlier I'd rather take a azz beating than darken the local Husky shops doors.
Nikko needs some out patient therapy, this bi-polar thing with Stihls needs a little work.lol He's gonna need hell of bunch more therapy if he had to run his next saw purchase (560/562) on out chitty ethanol.
What happens when you run magnesium, steel, water and heat together? Ever see them MRE meal heaters work.lol 562's may look like a sparkler when they get hot with all the water we have in our fuel.

And don't forget that I still personally prefer the 346. But it's only a feel thing, having to do with the handles. When I'm limbing with either saw, I can tell no difference in how they handle, period. They're both awesome saws!

Not a problem Brad!

The outboard just put the bar closer to the centre of mass of the saw - and the heavy clutch cover of those Huskys pull in the same direction.

How much it matters to people will of course vary - for cutting cookies and bucking it doesn't matter much. :msp_smile:

Dang it, ya'll keep talking up this 261 and I'm gonna have to buy one.

I did ;) Still some room over here LOL

Wow this thread just keeps chuggin along

Funny enough, in comparison to Brads situation, this is the only Stihl I own

Well I can now chime in with more cred, sort of ;) I already owned a 261 and a 5100-S. I bought a near new Husqvarna 353 yesterday off a guy for a steal. Very nice saw and runs well but I know it's not as pokey as a 346XP.
I did notice this "sideways balance" thing that Sawtroll refers to and I noticed it in a matter of minutes. This saw WILL NOT stay upright in the back of my vehicle when driving around. None of my others saws fall over this easy :cheers:
I do like the on/off/choke setup but I'm not the biggest fan of outboard clutches.

Although I still officially haven't run a 346XP I'd say it may have a win on the small stuff but the 261 would kick it's butt on larger stuff and probably have substantially better fuel economy. I'm going to be limbing a big, crusty old Pine today with the 353 today so should be fun. I threw all three of my 50cc saws around last night and I can't tell any difference?

I haven't run a 261.

What I love about my two 346ne is the fast up and down. A joy.

Good point, just like the 200T :)

Well, I lost all interest the first time I saw the lay-out and specs on the German web-site.....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

Those damn Germans - the German language always makes things sound harsh and uninviting. The 261 looks fine on the US website :D

I am still hoping to run a261 eventually. I really enjoy running my 346 and my 350, but I may have to get the 261 if they ever become availible in my area. When I first started reading this forum 4 plus years ago, I believe the ms361 was the saw Sawtroll talked about the most. I know there is a picture of him with it in the "ugly mug thread.

I've not run a 261 but have handled one finally. I don't like the 346s narrow powerband and lack of torque for me. Maybe the 261 would be a better mix between a 346 and 5105. The price is the biggest thing keeping me from trying a 261.

Tonight I saw my first 346xp at the farm store.

It had like a dual chain brake thing on it?? A handle that went over the back handle. It seemed awkward to me. I am assuming they are not all like this.

I doubt I will ever get the chance to run one unless i make it to a GTG where on shows up. They look a little funky to me but I guess I am biased since I have a 261:yoyo:

Not a problem Brad!

The outboard just put the bar closer to the centre of mass of the saw - and the heavy clutch cover of those Huskys pull in the same direction.

How much it matters to people will of course vary - for cutting cookies and bucking it doesn't matter much. :msp_smile:

Well you're taking it awefully easy on me there Nikko:) BTW, I do actually use my saws occasionally for real work;) My reference here is use of these saws in primarily a limbing situation. You're only cheating yourself dismissing the 261 like you are:)

Well you're taking it awefully easy on me there Nikko:) BTW, I do actually use my saws occasionally for real work;) My reference here is use of these saws in primarily a limbing situation. You're only cheating yourself dismissing the 261 like you are:)

Opinions will always vary, and those that are mostly using larger saw will not notise the differences between different smaller ones as easily as those that mostly use the smaller ones. :)

I have no use for a 50cc saw that will handle about like a 60cc one, as I have enough "sawbuck queens" as it is .....:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back