What model of Homelites are these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's a 924 or 925, as all of those I've seen have the manual oiler down to the left of the handle sitting vertically. My 800 doesn't have a manual oiler, but has places on the case where you'd mount one similar to how the one you have pictured is (or would be) mounted. So, perhaps it is from the 800 series (850, 875, etc.)? I don't know if the 700's had the oiler mounted on the right side or not, but that'd be another possibility.

I didn't notice that...

I agree it looks like an 800 series especially with the white on the starter.

Isn't this the oiler lever on the left?

oil_lever.jpg

Be weird to have a manual oiler on the right, would you use your pinky to operate it? Maybe a left-handed saw?

Be weird to have a manual oiler on the right, would you use your pinky to operate it? Maybe a left-handed saw?

That's the lever for the oiler, but the oiler itself is over on the right side of the case mounted horizontally. Or, it would be, but it looks like from the picture his is missing. The shaft from the lever runs through the carb chamber. My 955 is set up that way.

That's the lever for the oiler, but the oiler itself is over on the right side of the case mounted horizontally. Or, it would be, but it looks like from the picture his is missing. The shaft from the lever runs through the carb chamber. My 955 is set up that way.

Makes sense. Thanks. :cheers:

oil_lever.jpg

No that is the choke lever. A rod run over and hooks to the choke linkage.
I'm thinking maybe it's an XL 800. There are not many pictures over at the Collectors site of this series of saws, alot of info, but not many pictures. There is a picture of picture of the XL 800 and it looks close. Both of these saws have Tillotson HS 26A carbs. And the power head weighs 14.5 lbs, which is what the XL 800 use and weigh according to CC Site

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe it's an XL 800.

You know I hadn't thought of that lever being a choke lever. I've never seen one like that before.

I can say for certain it isn't an XL-800, though, unless they changed the design. My 800 has a "normal" Homelite choke button and no manual oiler. I read that some of the 800's had holes drilled and tapped for oilers (to be added later), but mine just has the little indents where you'd drill the holes.

Does this saw have a manual oiler on it?

On edit: If I don't forget, I'll take some pics of my 800 tonight for comparison.

Last edited:
My only experience with manual oilers is my XL-12. Still seems bizarre that the oiler would be on the right side of the handle. How would you operate it? Or is there just an auto oiler, and nothing on the right?

My only experience with manual oilers is my XL-12. Still seems bizarre that the oiler would be on the right side of the handle. How would you operate it? Or is there just an auto oiler, and nothing on the right?

On my VI-955, the oiler sits horizontally right below the air filter cover on the right hand side of the case. There is a lever that looks almost identical to the one in the picture of the saw above on the left side of the handle. A rod is attached to that thumb lever and runs through the carb chamber to another lever on the right side. That lever operates the plunger of the oiler. So when you push down on the lever on the left side with your thumb, another lever on the opposite side depresses the plunger of the oiler. Actually, my 995D is set up sort of like that as well, only it has thumb levers on both sides. I don't know how the earlier ones are.

Don't ask me why they didn't just stick with the vertical oiler as is found on the 92X series. The only thing I can think of is on the 955 you have all the extra "stuff" attached to the case for the anti-vibe system and perhaps they were trying to keep the oiler out of the way of that.

At any rate, while I have my camera out to the shop, I'll try to shoot some pics of the 955 oiler. A picture will make more sense than my explanation, I'm sure.

Im not saying your wrong, but I have only seen that system used on a mac. Two identicle levers, one choke, the other the oiler, and even at that the choke was still on the right side.

That choke lever rules out XL-7xx & XL-8xx series. (Also rules out the XL-92x) series.
The only models that I can find with a choke lever like that would be XL-901, XL-903 or XL-904. Only thing I can't figure out is the manual oil pump, where is it? Maybe someone took it off?

I do believe it has a manual oiler...you just can't see it very well because of the angle of the saw. Check the attached pic.

Dang picture didnt attach. I shall try again. Sorry its so small, under 300 kb ya no

You know I hadn't thought of that lever being a choke lever. I've never seen one like that before.

I can say for certain it isn't an XL-800, though, unless they changed the design. My 800 has a "normal" Homelite choke button and no manual oiler. I read that some of the 800's had holes drilled and tapped for oilers (to be added later), but mine just has the little indents where you'd drill the holes.

Does this saw have a manual oiler on it?

On edit: If I don't forget, I'll take some pics of my 800 tonight for comparison.
The saw has both manual and auto oiler. The manual button is right beside the choke lever. You use your thumb to engage both choke and oiler

I went out and took a better picture of the choke, oil pump buttons on this saw. The guy I got these from said his dad cut timber with them in the 70's. One of them has serious problems. It will turn over about 3/4 then locks up. The other will run if you put gas in the cylinder, but the bar studs are screwed up. I'm sure with the two of them A guy should be able to get a runner out of them. I don't have time to mess with them so they will probably go on Ebay in the future.

Last edited:
Huh!

Thanks for that info BO, I need to put this in the reference file for future use, if we can nail down its lineage.:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back