What older model chainsaw has the most durable engine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my 041 super a lot…but if someone offered me another husky 480cd with the chain brake and it’s in at least as good a shape as my super, I might possibly oblige.
A lot of 50's sold was a very reliable firewood saw . Nothing fast or overly powerful just got the job done !

Do you know what year they started reducing their engine size?
The merger with Electrolux and Partner then Husquarna caused Pioneer to morph into Poulan Professional Series saws . I have had 7 Pioneers saws over the yrs understand their Origination within East Ontario within Quebec under the OMC umbrella to Peterbourgh Ontario . Felled & Hardwood commercially in Eastern Ontario with P-51 & P-38 Pioneers & later cut Pulp wood commercially with in Northern Ontario with Husquarna 246 xps & Dolmar 111,s . Only ran a Poulan Super Pro bucking firewood & a 3400 & 5200 felling & bucking firewood with my Uncle & cousins , never personally ever owned a badged Poulan !

Like I said, you need to learn your history better and I'm not going to go deep into it with you. Your statement that a Poulan 245 was a clone of a Pioneer saw was just insane.

Also I will just say you need to learn the names Emab and Huron Park as thats where most all if not all of the Pioneer production went after the Peterborough plant was closed and where the bigger Pioneer based Poulan Pro saws came from.

Ran one Dayton , mostly Rebadged Craftsman (Poulan's) then later Husquarna's up North here at box stores or Sears back in the day . Lots of Dayton out Eastern Ontario & Quebec , manufactured in Chicago Illinois !

Really, Dayton was headquartered in Chicago. Like Sears they just had others make there products for them.

Like I said, you need to learn your history better and I'm not going to go deep into it with you. Your statement that a Poulan 245 was a clone of a Pioneer saw was just insane.

Also I will just say you need to learn the names Emab and Huron Park as thats where most all if not all of the Pioneer production went after the Peterborough plant was closed and where the bigger Poulan Pro saws came from.
I’ve personally never heard of a Poulan 245a being a clone or a copy before but I’m interested to know where and how it was originally inspired.

I don't have much to contribute, but - I was raised running my dad's Stihl. Then I bought a lightly-used MS-250. It cut alot but I was on the hunt for a bigger saw for bigger wood. I ran across a non-running 041FB. My local Stihl dealer got it running, new 20" bar and aggressive chain...now let me tell ya, THAT is a SAW!! You better be paying attention when wielding that 041FB!
- BarnieTrk

Its not a clone of anything, Poulan designed and built it. Starting that design in 1968 with the 200 series of saws.
I sure do like that the Poulan/Dayton versions of the 245a. I know it’s not the best saw out there but it’s power to weight ratio has always been impressive. Always has done me really good.

The 361 kinda has some similarities to other saws but it still has their own individual characteristics too.

Also I will just say you need to learn the names Emab and Huron Park as thats where most all if not all of the Pioneer production went after the Peterborough plant was closed and where the bigger Pioneer based Poulan Pro saws came from.
Yeah , remember Huron Park Ontario's involvement . The 5000 & 7000 & 65 series Pioneer / Partner were quite stout units manufactured at the Huron facility in the 80's . Still under the Electrolux umbrella . I thought the 245A was that vintage , however I see it was 70 's vintage although its reed valve (Pioneer) induction usage & chassis was close in its appearance to some of the Orange Poulans that Electolux made with the Pioneer / Partner badge (clone) during my commercial felling days . So not insane , actually a moot point since within a few years Poulan most likely , under the Poulan Beaird badge or Emersion elect.merger in 72 , was eventually taken over by Electrolux ( Pioneer) in 84 . Anyhow , as I said not a Poulan follower , Pioneer was my saw of choice , just was interested within the Canadian saw manufacturing & the morphing of Partner originally from Sweden with Pioneer & then Pioneers involvement with Poulan . So many of these saws carried similar chassis components throughout the yrs & as you stated were stand alone identities or subsidiaries of the Parent Companies . So no harm , all of these saws were very capable in there own right for their era , regardless of their origin thanks for the insight & clarification !

Do you guys like Canadien/PM/SKIL saws and saws like the Remington sl11, 770, and the Bantam?
Quality saws within their era . However saws that weight 24 -27 lbs dry with max operating rpm of 5000-7000 max under load are a little too slow & ponderous for my felling or bucking usage . Although these manufacturers had plenty of torgue available . If I had one to flog , I would set it up with a 48" .404 ripping bar for mill usage baby ! :blob2: Now a Pro 655 full wrap & with a West coast air filter would Rock my World ! lol.

Yeah , remember Huron Park Ontario's i volvement . The 5000 & 7000 & 65 series Pioneer / Partner were quite stout units manufactured at the Huron facility in the 80's .

Sir, with all due respect, please stop. Any of the Swedish Partner saws that got labeled as a Pioneer-Partner were not made in Huron Park. They were still made in Sweden. The Poulan Pro branded Partner saws like the PP325, 415-505 were still made in Sweden as well.

Also just because the 245 was a reed valve saw, does not mean any relation or copying of any Pioneer saws. Pioneer did not invent the reed valve.

You keep spouting like its gospel but its wrong information.

Now if you want to say a Partner 500-5000 series saw was one of the most durable engine I would not disagree

The next time I have to buck and noodle cut some big ash prior to splitting I think I'll give this vintage Poulan 4000 a workout:
1684003890107.jpeg
It still had surprising power the last time I used it. Made well before the Wild Things showed up, this saw only needed a clean up and a new choke control that I made in my shop. And, I sharpened the chain with my Timberline. It seemed to love that attention.

Yeah , remember Huron Park Ontario's i volvement . The 5000 & 7000 & 65 series Pioneer / Partner were quite stout units manufactured at the Huron facility in the 80's . Still under the Electrolux umbrella . I thought the 245A was that vintage , however I see it was 70 's vintage although its reed valve (Pioneer) induction usage & chassis was close in its appearance to some of the Orange Poulans that Electolux made with the Pioneer / Partner badge (clone) during my commercial felling days . So not insane , actually a moot point since within a few years Poulan most likely , under the Poulan Beaird badge or Emersion elect.merger in 72 , was eventually taken over by Electrolux ( Pioneer) in 84 . Anyhow , as I said not a Poulan follower , Pioneer was my saw of choice , just was interested within the Canadian saw manufacturing & the morphing of Partner originally from Sweden with Pioneer & then Pioneers involvement with Poulan . So many of these saws carried similar chassis components throughout the yrs & as you stated were stand alone identities or subsidiaries of the Parent Companies . So no harm , all of these saws were very capable in there own right for their era , regardless of their origin thanks insight & clarification

Sir, with all due respect, please stop. Any of the Swedish Partner saws that got labeled as a Pioneer-Partner were not made in Huron Park. They were still made in Sweden. The Poulan Pro branded Partner saws like the PP325, 415-505 were still made in Sweden as well.

Also just because the 245 was a reed valve saw, does not mean any relation or copying of any Pioneer saws. Pioneer did not invent the reed valve.

You keep spouting like its gospel but its wrong information.

Now if you want to say a Partner 500-5000 series saw was one of the most durable engine I would not disagree
I never said Pioneer or even Dolmar invented reed valve induction , Lombard was the 1st major player to mass produce saws with reed petal induction , followed by Homelite & to a degree Mac . However Pioneer & Dolmar optimized reed valve induction in mass production runs . Iam done with you Sir , All Poulan Pro's late 80's vintage were manufactured in the USA within Arkansas after the Husquarna involvement & debacle . Only saw of any significance within commercial grade was the Pro 655 Super West coast model ,which again was an Electrolux carry over from Pioneer , the rest were pitiful . I never once stated any of the earlier Poulans throughout their origination in 1946 thru 80 were lacking in Quality , including the Partner 500 -5000 models . Although I never owned a Poulan badged product , I lived through their productive yrs & saw their demise within the mid 80's , you have nothing to offer , so quit preaching to the choir !

I’d like to get ahold of one of those Binford Poulan Bad Boys that Tim Allen promoted! I know it was just a silly sales pitch but that too happened to be a really cool little saw!
Here’s one that’s been ported, along with a 77cc version of a Super XL-925.
449CB243-C3A4-447B-B7E8-09948C684DB2.jpeg

I never said Pioneer or even Dolmar invented reed valve induction , Lombard was the 1st major player to mass produce saws with reed petal induction , followed by Homelite & to a degree Mac . However Pioneer & Dolmar optimized reed valve induction in mass production runs . Iam done with you Sir , All Poulan Pro's late 80's vintage were manufactured in the USA within Arkansas after the Husquarna involvement & debacle . Only saw of any significance within commercial grade was the Pro 655 Super West coast model ,which again was an Electrolux carry over from Pioneer , the rest were pitiful . I never once stated any of the earlier Poulans throughout their origination in 1946 thru 80 were lacking in Quality , including the Partner 500 -5000 models . Although I never owned a Poulan badged product , I lived through their productive yrs & saw their demise within the mid 80's , you have nothing to offer , so quit preaching to the choir !

I hope your done with me and your rattling on about stuff that dodges what I corrected. I also hope your done with your incorrect statements

The next time I have to buck and noodle cut some big ash prior to splitting I think I'll give this vintage Poulan 4000 a workout:
View attachment 1082425
It still had surprising power the last time I used it. Made well before the Wild Things showed up, this saw only needed a clean up and a new choke control that I made in my shop. And, I sharpened the chain with my Timberline. It seemed to love that attention.

Much as I like those saws, noodling is not their strong suite. That narrow mag clutch cover and the handle brace plugs up fast.

I got reminded of that just the other day when I had this 3700 out for testing and tried to noodle a round up. IMG_20230503_180902664_HDR.jpg

Hey friend, I fully understand that we may all not agree with one another all the time and you are definitely set in your position, and so is Mark. The world is not lesser of a place because of it and you guys both seem to know quite a bit. So let’s keep this enjoyable for each other for both y’all’s sakes and the others who may want to chime in. We don’t always all have to see eye to eye with everything but truly, this thread was really intended to be a positive and upbeat one that helps us remember what our most durable and reliable saws were. I never intended it to turn into a sparring match.

Thanks for understanding my friend.

Hey friend, I fully understand that we may all not agree with one another all the time and you are definitely set in your position, and so is Mark. The world is not lesser of a place because of it and you guys both seem to know quite a bit. So let’s keep this enjoyable for each other for both y’all’s sakes and the others who may want to chime in. We don’t always all have to see eye to eye with everything but truly, this thread was really intended to be a positive and upbeat one that helps us remember what our most durable and reliable saws were. I never intended it to turn into a sparring match.

Thanks for understanding my friend.
As you know I already told you .

Back