what replacement chain do i need? stihl ms391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is chisel chain, and "safety chain".

The Stihl chain I would have wanted for your bar is 33RS/RSC-72 for clean wood, or 33RM/RMC-72 for "dirty" wood.

I would avoid the "safety chain", with a "3" at the end of the letters....

The current RS and RM is the same as the (old stock) RSC and RMC, they have just removed the "C" from the designation.

its not too late to cancel my order. should i cancel it? what is this safety feature that i dont want on my chain?

Honestly, the RMC3 chain is pretty darn good for a low kickback chain. I have no issues with it and it's easy to sharpen and file the rakers. You should be able to buy the RM chain locally for that price.

Honestly, the RMC3 chain is pretty darn good for a low kickback chain. I have no issues with it and it's easy to sharpen and file the rakers. You should be able to buy the RM chain locally for that price.

are the rakers higher on the low kickback chain is that why some people don't like it?

i cancelled my order. guess i shouldn't have just assumed amazon would be cheaper than local because my dealer has it for $27:dizzy:

How to get a free manual

OP, you can download a free manual from StihlUSA.com.....it would be a good idea to review it for chain types, filing technique, safety factors, etc. Won't cost you a penny and it might save you some trouble.

Hello everyone, my stihl ms391 is in need of a new chain. It's stretched out to the bars max setting. It's a 20" bar and its a 3/8 pitch but that's all I know. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm pretty new to saw chains and have never had to buy one. Rebuilt a few saws but know nothing of chains. Thanks for the help!

I say Stihl RSK. That stuff is mean.

Until you hit a piece of dirt and then its useless,and not everyone can file a square chain.

Square ground Stihl saw chain has an L in it. Like, RSLK, RSFLK, or RSHLK. K means classic or uncomfortable chassis cutters. The C has been dropped from the saw chain model names now because most of them are comfortable. Like, RSC is now RS, RMC is now RM, and RS is now RSK. Know what I'm sayin? :givebeer:

Square ground Stihl saw chain has an L in it. Like, RSLK, RSFLK, or RSHLK. K means classic or uncomfortable chassis cutters. The C has been dropped from the saw chain model names now because most of them are comfortable. Like, RSC is now RS, RMC is now RM, and RS is now RSK. Know what I'm sayin? :givebeer:

You're right,my bad scratch the square file part and the rest is right:msp_smile:

i cancelled my order. guess i shouldn't have just assumed amazon would be cheaper than local because my dealer has it for $27:dizzy:

There's the answer. For Stihl parts, the best place to start is your Stihl dealer. I can find no place that gets me a better price on Stihl chain than my dealer. If you have more than one dealer, you may find one that has a discounted deal on chain (buy one, get second half price; buy two, get third free).

The basic chain I start with is RS (formerly called RSC). This is the yellow, full chisel, standard (not low kickback) chain.

If the need arises for semi-chisel chain, I get RM. This is the yellow, semi-chisel, standard (not low kickback) chain.

If you want low kickback, then get the model with the "3" added to the "RS" or RM" model name. It will have the green tie strap. As far as I'm concerned, if you've been using safe cutting practices for the past 3-4 years, there is no need for the green low-kickback or safety chain.

Don't let the dealer steer you away from yellow chain by saying that it's only for professionals. If you don't follow safe cutting practices, it doesn't matter what chain you use.

Latest posts

Back