What rope to you prefer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have recently learned to rope climb, after a few years of climbing with spikes (for removal porposes only) I have learned to rope climb after the guy I work with hurt his leg and most stay on the ground. I would like to replace his older ropes with some new rope, what type, or brand of rope do you prefer to use?

I think I'd like to use something that has a high visability, as his rope is a dark/light green combo, it seems to work almost like camoflauge in a tree, I'm thinking something orange, any suggestions?

There's plenty of rope choices everyone has their preferences I like the blaze very high visibility and light weight. Also poison hi-vy and dragonly are very good bright ropes with good feels.

XTC Fire by Yale Cordage if you want HI-VIS Nuclear Orange Dayglo colors

this is a pic (with thanks to TREECLIMBINGFORUM) of XTC Fire (albiet a short piece made into a double lanyard). The pic does'nt do the rope justice, its much bright in person and in a tree...you can see it from a LONG ways off)

hi vis
viewthread.php

Last edited:
It's plain and simple,but my favorite is still Samson's arbor plex.It holds friction knots well,and when I'm foot locking,I can get a better grip on it with my feet that I can anything else

Yale XTC+ is my personal favourite. I have XTC+ red and white, spearmint and fire. Personally i like the green one as its just feels different to the other (i know it shouldn't mine just does and its not the only one) I have the red one for a lanyard and the fire as a spilt tail all in one system. I also have 45m of red and 35m of fire. I'm going to try some Samson Velocity soon.

SRT-Tech hows a double lanyard work?

i think ArborPex is good rope; but the most hardware grade of our lines. If it is tops; the rest of the rope evolution in arborist lines have spiralled down, rather than up?

It is the weakest and has the most hamburger helper fibers to me; that break first and give the rough feel; and have less heat tolerance.

5400LBS is HARDLY weak for a climbing rope. :monkey: (in reference to Arborplex).

i mean if THATS considered weak...maybe we should just all climb on 20,000lb test ropes instead... i think the 5000lb rating is JUST fine for us.

just saying.... :)

Last edited:
I use Poison Ivy all the time. Even with the camo colors I have never had it grabbed or cut by the groundies. I have used the regular one and the HI-Vee and like them both a lot. I get the best of both worlds, with a rope that is a little lighter but don't have cramped hands from the 11 mm stuff.

Ditto

i think ArborPex is good rope; but the most hardware grade of our lines. If it is tops; the rest of the rope evolution in arborist lines have spiralled down, rather than up?

It is the weakest and has the most hamburger helper fibers to me; that break first and give the rough feel; and have less heat tolerance.

It gets a 'plasticky' feel when worn in.

For me its bluestreak 1\2'' and firefly 11mil.

post hijack: M_BRUSHCUTTER, you can still stay tied in while passign your second lanyard around the next limb, clip it in, then unclip the other lanyard. (its a simple bypass)

I have yet to try anything smaller than 1/2" rope, so in 1/2" sampson's blue streak works very well for me.
-Ralph

I use the arbormaster red,white and black and love it. New england HI-VEE or the other VEE one can't think of the name is great too. IMO
Jared

I have yet to try anything smaller than 1/2" rope, so in 1/2" sampson's blue streak works very well for me.
-Ralph
I have worn out a couple hanks of Blue Streak, great rope.
I think the reason XTC is so popular is it's easy to splice for a climbing rope, so it attracts the veteran climbers, and it comes in pretty colors which attracts the novices.:D
After trying 11mm rope, I'll never go back to 1/2". It suits my climbing style. I try not to spend much time pulling myself up by the rope, so the smaller size doesn't bother me.

I have worn out a couple hanks of Blue Streak, great rope.
I think the reason XTC is so popular is it's easy to splice for a climbing rope, so it attracts the veteran climbers, and it comes in pretty colors which attracts the novices.:D
After trying 11mm rope, I'll never go back to 1/2". It suits my climbing style. I try not to spend much time pulling myself up by the rope, so the smaller size doesn't bother me.

Mike, between you and a few others here, I have been convinced to buy a hank of 11mm. I should be ordering it within a few weeks, and I'll be sure to let you know how I adapt to it.
-Ralph

poison hi-vy. Its smooth to work with, holds knots nice, and its feel doesnt change much after being subjected to heat.

i just meant that Arborplex is weakest amongst our line choices generally, though it has been increased to 6k as i remember. i think there are stronger, more flexible and elastic choices.

I've tried about every rope I can get my hands on,the tree pro red is another favorite....Do any of you guys do any foot locking at all?If so that is where the arbor-plex shines for me.It seems to grip my feet better than anything else.If I were just spiking up and tying off,I could live with just about anything

Latest posts

Back