What rope to you prefer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats footlocking?????

I've tried about every rope I can get my hands on,the tree pro red is another favorite....Do any of you guys do any foot locking at all?If so that is where the arbor-plex shines for me.It seems to grip my feet better than anything else.If I were just spiking up and tying off,I could live with just about anything

Seriously, the lines that have been suggested here like the fly and velocity (not sure about poison ivy) have less stretch, which make for a more efficient footlock. Not to mention the lighter weight which makes for an easier footlock.

I'm gonna laugh at that footlock comment all day, thanks!:laugh:

Don 't know if you have ever tried the fly Boston but it has much more stretch then any rope I have ever used. I felt like I was on a bungee cord climbing with that thing. I had to retire it in just a few months due to energy lose and just use it to make up lanyards. Static line is the only way to go for FL.

020, ever try velocity for foot locking? stuff is great, and once the sticky coating wears off it is great for DRT as well. it is the first 7/16 line i have used and i love it. For 1/2" i found many 16 strand that i like.... arbormaster, yellowjacket, XTC..... IMO if you are gunna go 1/2" then go 16 strand....and if you are looking to get into 11mm i suggest velocity, i have heard many mixed opinions about the fly, some love it some hate it. I have not tried blaze or poison ivy however blaze has less strength and more weight then velocity so i don't see the advantage

I'm gonna laugh at that footlock comment all day, thanks!:laugh:

That's fine,but arbor plex is still my favorite.I noticed more stretch with the tree pro red than I have the arbor plex,and with most of the trees around here that I prune,I rarely have to footlock more than about 30 feet before I can jump limbs to the top,so stretch is rarely if ever an issue

Don 't know if you have ever tried the fly Boston but it has much more stretch then any rope I have ever used. I felt like I was on a bungee cord climbing with that thing. I had to retire it in just a few months due to energy lose and just use it to make up lanyards. Static line is the only way to go for FL.

Interesting. I am on the firefly right now and love it, but am planning on trying velocity real soon.

That's fine,but arbor plex is still my favorite.I noticed more stretch with the tree pro red than I have the arbor plex,and with most of the trees around here that I prune,I rarely have to footlock more than about 30 feet before I can jump limbs to the top,so stretch is rarely if ever an issue

Its cool that you have a fav line, just stick with it. My point about the footlock comment is, YOU ARE ON A SITE FOR TREECLIMBERS, OF COURSE WE KNOW HOW TO FOOTLOCK!!!!!!!!

Velocity Hot. By far the best rope I have ever used. Obviously the rope genies are getting this stuffed figured out. Good feel and holds knots well, super lightweight, works well with distel and vt hitches and Lock Jack Sport.

Dave

YOU ARE ON A SITE FOR TREECLIMBERS, OF COURSE WE KNOW HOW TO FOOTLOCK!!!!!!!!

It wasn't meant as an insult to anybody,it was a serious question.I have had eight different climbers either work for me or do contract climbing for me over the years,and only two of them knew how to footlock.

I use three ropes..... MY favorite being the XTC by yale.... I also use A HI-vee from new england and an amsteel blue......

I love my XTC, it is the blaze and it hasnt been lost by my groundies....
It works good in the tree, just a damn good rope.....

The amsteel is a great rope and realy high break strength.... Friction knots dont seem to bother it much, it doesnt have real bad stretch either....

The Hi-vee is a good stand by rope....

no offense taken

It wasn't meant as an insult to anybody,it was a serious question.I have had eight different climbers either work for me or do contract climbing for me over the years,and only two of them knew how to footlock.

I thought it was funny. I hear what you're saying though, it seems to be a dying art. I wonder if, with alot of climbers using SRT and Pantin's, if footlocking won't become an even less used skill???

I thought it was funny. I hear what you're saying though, it seems to be a dying art. I wonder if, with alot of climbers using SRT and Pantin's, if footlocking won't become an even less used skill???

Don't think it will ever die for us comp. guy, that is until they take out the event. Would like to switch to a rope walking system but don't want to be slacking to much come comp.

Most of the newbie and wanna be climbers around here do not even know what I am talking about when I mention footlocking,or body thrusting.I try to do it at least once or twice a week,even if I have to do it on a removal to keep in shape

You're trying to be funny, right?

No I wasnt trying to be funny at all, I was trying to see how many of us actually pay attention to what we are responding too.... I see alot of people posting stuff that could result in a very bad accedent.... Even argue over it.
I am really suprised that anyone even caught that....

I climb with a XTC and a HI-Vee .....

I use Amsteel for winch line on my truck.....

I would love to climb on Amsteel. At triple the price of our arbo ropes, though, I won't justify the cost, just to say I've climbed on winch line.

I talked to the reps at Sampson about this at TCIA Expo, they looked at me sideways. They asked what I was climbing on currently, and at the time, 7/16" (11 mm) Stable Braid. They shook their heads like I was some kinda freak. I like static line and the the 11 mm Stable Braid (by special order) is really a nice rope for climbing. I don't kid you.

Re-read the post....

My life is more valuable then that... I was trying to see who pays attention to what they respond too...

I dont climb with amsteel, I use it to winch my truck out when its stuck.....

It isnt a climb line and shouldnt be used as such...

Most of the newbie and wanna be climbers around here do not even know what I am talking about when I mention footlocking,or body thrusting.I try to do it at least once or twice a week,even if I have to do it on a removal to keep in shape

I body thrust every time I rope climp something... More so because I am to lazy to go and get ascenders..... I climb with a split tail and have gone as far as to get a micro for my flip.... But that is enough. I wear wescos, wich makes it more of a chore to foot lock..... But it is how I was taught....

Wescos and no ascender, only if I was trying to make the ascent extra-challenging
I dont climb with amsteel, I use it to winch my truck out when its stuck.....

It isnt a climb line and shouldnt be used as such...
The reason(s) why not? I'm just curious. A new one, I mean, not one that has been used as a winch line.

I know it's not considered a climbing line, and I have never climbed on it, but with the mega-tensile strength, an 11 mm Amsteel blue, I mean, why not?

Amsteel is the same fiber as our beloved Zing-It, only dyed a different color.

Amsteel is a great rope.. It wears like IRON and has a super tensil... It isnt rated as a climb line though. I use it for winch rope wich it is rated for.

I have heard from others and it was stated in this thread that it doesnt like tied knots. I see what you are saying, how ever it is not meant to be a climb line and I wouldnt recomend climbing with it....

Latest posts

Back