what rope ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen44

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut trees for my heating needs in the woods and where they fall does not really matter - so long as they don't get snagged.

I use a rope and a come-a-long to tension the tree in the direction I want it to go and have great success.

I need to buy a much longer rope for my next batch of trees - probably in the 150' length - what do I need to look for - i know I want something that does not stretch too much ?

any suggestions and links please ?

would this be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200-...0686356QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

I just bought a 150ft bull rope from Baileys. It's a Samson rope. It's 7/8 and has a break strength close to 30k. That rope your looking at says it's around 7k. I would look for a heavier rope. Some ropes are made to be pulled on and some aren't. I haven;t used this rope yet but everything was shipped like it should have been. I've always had good service from Baileys

Scott

and I would estimate 7,000 lbs..

I would not use a rope that I did not know the true SWL of.

In tree work we go by a 10:1 SWL for dynamic use, and many will go to a 5:1 for what you are talking about, a more steady pull.

So if it is 1000# tensile 5:1 then you have a 200# swl (safe working load)

One similar product i looked up had a 3780 lbs Minimum Breaking Strength.

the only rope i know of that floats is polypropylene. polly rope is weak and will not be a good choice for pulling trees with. 1/2in arbor-plex is a strong cheap rope that will handle the job over and over. www.sherrilltree.com will beat any competitors price and i highly recommend them. they are a sponsor here, so look at the top of the page and click .

the only rope i know of that floats is polypropylene. polly rope is weak and will not be a good choice for pulling trees with. 1/2in arbor-plex is a strong cheap rope that will handle the job over and over. www.sherrilltree.com will beat any competitors price and i highly recommend them. they are a sponsor here, so look at the top of the page and click .

so it says ...

Arbor Plex 1/2 x 150'/12-Strand/ROPE/Samson
6,000 lbs. tensile

- so this is the right specs for what I want ?

so it says ...

Arbor Plex 1/2 x 150'/12-Strand/ROPE/Samson
6,000 lbs. tensile

- so this is the right specs for what I want ?
should be fine:monkey:
if you want more strenth its going to be more money. you can get 11,000abs in a 1/2in line @ about $150.00 for 150ft. (samson kernmantle)

Sherrill is a bigger company, but I think their prices are generally higher unless you want to always play games asking them for a price-match.
its very simple to get a price match. sherrill is also tied up in the tree care industry and has made many good contributions to the industry. i have had problems with wess-spur and Baily's, never with sherrill. i will still do biz with Baily's but never with wess-spur. wess-spur's costumer service sucks and they dont have much ta offer any way. sherrill gets my biz and support for being a leader in the arbo industry.

If you are using a masdam rope puller type come along they work better with 3 strand than braided. 1/2" three strand arborist grade line should give you all the pull you need. Anything that floats is not for tree work. Sherrill and Baileys both sponsors of this site and offer good deals and service on what you need.

If you are using a masdam rope puller type come along they work better with 3 strand than braided. 1/2" three strand arborist grade line should give you all the pull you need. Anything that floats is not for tree work. Sherrill and Baileys both sponsors of this site and offer good deals and service on what you need.
:agree2: with all the above post. sherrill and bailys are both good places to deal with and both sponsors of a/s:clap:

WESSPUR CAN KISS MY ASS!!!​

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back