What saw did you start out with??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1996 Hus55 was given to me as a gift by my former boss...

first purchase was a 262xp with less than 5 hours on it...got it for $300 Sold it the following year and 25 cords later for $350...replaced it with a 372XP with less than 3 hours run time for $325...

and thats how this horrible fun all started....

I bought a woodlot in 1994 and it had some pretty large Oak trees, bought a brand new Husqvarna 272XP........WHAT A SAW! Seems like it was $550. I probably should not have bought it, I have had over 200 saws since.

Last edited:
first saw

sears 758g 24" bar and 1/2" chain was my dads and is in my cellar today complete except filter I think it is 95cc gear drive. I hate to say this but it was back in 1968 or 69 the first time I ran it. 22.4 lbs without bar. still have the book on it.

Last edited:
I started with a pro saw first thing at the ripe old age of 33.:msp_wink: A Poulan Pro 40cc. What a piece of junk. First "real" saw was a Husqvarna 350.

Believe it or not, a Stihl 039. I bought it new, shortly after my Dad bought his 046 Magnum. It never gave me one ounce of trouble. After coming to AS, I sold it and bought a 036 Pro. Then it was a MS260, which was the first saw I ever ported. The rest is all history.

First saw I bought myself was a Mcculloch timber bear, I think I was 14 when I bought it. I ran that thing for a good 15 years without any issues, it was heavy, loud and slow, but it had good torque and did what I needed it to.

attachment.php

My dad's fleet comprised of an 08, 028, and 031, but the 08 was the saw i started on. I just got the old 031 going this summer...more for nostalgic sake than to use. He bought the 08 new in the late 60's or early 70's. It was probably 15 or so years old when I started using it and he still has it and uses it today. They are heavy, slow, etc., but dependable saws imo. I ended up building a powerhead for an earth auger out of one a couple years ago.

My grand pops eager beaver when I was 13. But MY first saw was a 40cc sears I bought in 07. My dad has it with a 16" bar on her. Then I got the 42cc sears and did a MM then CAD set in now I can't count high enough....

First saw was a stihl ms 210. I worked that thing to death.

My first saw was a POULAN SUPER XXV COUNTERVIBE 16"back sometime in the late 70's what a great little top handle saw.

Back