What saw Husky 455 Rancher or Husky 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I returned a Husky 455 Rancher purchased from a big box because of the prodigious amount of bar chain oil leaking from below the clutch area. I went to a local Husqvarna rental/sales/repair center today and tried the Husky 359. The tech ran the saw for about five minutes and very little oil collected under the clutch. His 455 Rancher was out on rental, so I could not see how that saw performed regarding leakage. Is it typical for the 455 Rancher to leak an enormous amount of oil when running; the 359 didn't!

The 359 will cost me $100 more than the 455. Tomorrow the 455 will be back from rental, and I will be able to see if it leaked like the two I tried from the big box store. I would appreciate your recommendations regarding these two saws, since I need to get my firewood up ASAP.

I've looked at the Stihls and my first saw was a Stihl purchased in 1972. It was a great saw, but a family member loaned the saw to a neighbor who destroyed the piston. I don't want to go the Stihl route because of cost. (I could get the MS 260 Pro for $65 more than the 359, but the MS 361 and MS 361 C-B would cost me $210 and $230 more than the 359, respectively.)

I like the feel of the Husky, but I can't tolerate the deluge of oil experienced with the two 455 Ranchers I tried from the big box. Does anyone know if defect/imperfect product are sold at big box stores. It's for that reason why I am going to a local rental/sales/repair dealer to check out his 455 Rancher tomorrow. If the rental 455 Rancher doesn't throw oil like the two I tried from the big box, the 455 would satisfy my needs and I could save some major money.

The rental/sales/repair center was honest with me about the 359. He said when the saw was first released about two-or-three years ago there was a major problem with air entering the cylinder due to a design defect. He said that Husqvarna has corrected the design flaw, and the current 359's are very good saws approaching the professional line. Please provide recommendations whether I should go with the 455 Rancher (assuming no leakage problem) or the 359?

Note: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum (Homeowner Helper Forum)!

I run both and lean strongly towards the 359. It's not a "pro" saw but leans more in that direction than the 455, which leans strongly in the home owner direction.

As far as the oil problem goes, the oiler was turned up too high. Flip the saw upside down and adjust it with a screw driver!

Whatever saw you buy, you need to read the manual in order to familiarize yourself with it.

Edit: I bought my first saw, a 359 after running the 55.

Last edited:
MR4WD,

Thanks for your prompt response to my post. I tried reducing the flow using the screw; however, it didn't reduce the amount of oil.

359 all the way never look back. the 455 rancher has the xtorq engine. the 359 with a muffler mod is a much more powerful saw. the 455 cannot be modified as easily. do a search on 359 muffler mod and you will come up with some good reading.

The 359 will cost me $100 more than the 455. Tomorrow the 455 will be back from rental, and I will be able to see if it leaked like the two I tried from the big box store. I would appreciate your recommendations regarding these two saws, since I need to get my firewood up ASAP. ....

Spend that extra money!

The 359 is pro quality except for the engine - the 455 is nowhere close.....

1stmale,

Again, thanks for the prompt response to my post. Just curious: Why do you view the X-TORQ engine as a negative?

I want to thank all posters here for your prompt response to my posts. Although I've used chainsaws on-and-off for over thirty years, I don't have the luxury of doing the due diligence required to purchase the right chainsaw for me at this time. So, I really appreciate all your input. Thanks!

1stmale,

Again, thanks for the prompt response to my post. Just curious: Why do you view the X-TORQ engine as a negative?

If you are the type of guy who likes to know about how thing work there is some good information on this sight search for strato charged

Here is a start http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=65949

it is a good technology to meet epa requirements however it does not take mods well. If you have no intention of modifying you muffler to get more power from you saw then an x-torq engine might be for you. However there is more power to be had from a 359 with a modified muffler.

What is the price on a new 359?

It can be had for $514 from Tractor supply.

Also if you have a dealer take a look at the johnsred 2159 it is the same saw as the 359 but with a different case. they are offering $125 for any trade in working or not it just has to be complete. May save you come money.

I have never used a 455 but my 359 with an aftermaket non cat modded muffler and 20 inch bar just rips.
attachment.php

Best price I have for the 359 is $479.99.

Last edited:
I vote 359 this saw is still stock and I believe almost two years old and zero problems. (bought non cat replacement muffler but havent put it on yet)
attachment.php

Well at least you can get oil to the bar on your 455, mine doesn't like to oil the bar very well. I would get the 359 or even a 346 would work possibly. Both have more HP and are in the case of the 346 lighter.

It can be had for $514 from Tractor supply.

Also if you have a dealer take a look at the johnsred 2159 it is the same saw as the 359 but with a different case. they are offering $125 for any trade in working or not it just has to be complete. May save you come money.

The case is the same, plastic covers and handlebar is different.......:greenchainsaw:

Back