What saw Husky 455 Rancher or Husky 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deffinatly the 359, ive seen some 455s and im not that impressed with them. The 357xp is also a good saw, ive got one of those and it keeps up well with my 365, but its lighter and can be used for smaller jobs.

Mahle - as in the 357xp.

The true power to weight of the 359 isn't pro class, and the engine is a cheaper one.

Just curious I know the power to weight ratio is less than a pro saw and Husky even clasifies this saw as a landowner saw. However what about the engine is cheaper.

You mentioned Mahle it that the pison manufacture that makes high quality pistons.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Best price I have for the 359 is $479.99.

I got very lucky I got mine for $400 2 years ago from a dealer who was not carying husky anymore.

Ever since husky started selling thier saws in the box stores the husky reps have not been around the the local dealerships.

The dealers that still carry husky will only have 2 or 3 saws in stock and those are usualy not pro saws. Sithl is by far the most popular saw here. I stihl like husky better though for the simple fact of the husky air injection, it keeps the air cleaner much cleaner.

I would go with the 359 hands down its just a better saw and if you ever decide you need more you can get some mods done to it and it will run with a 70cc saw instead of having to buy another saw. The only thing wrong with my 359 is that the carb was not adjusted correctly from the factory but I bought mine on the internet when they were still sold online. So you might want to make sure the shop you purchase it at sets the carb for you.

Get the 359. You might want to look at a 357XP.

Chainsaw gurus: Do you think I should go the extra money and get the 357XP over the 359? I want this to be my last saw, and I only put up 4-5 cords of firewood a year. However, I may take down some fairly large oaks at some point.

The 359 will cost me $524.62 w/extra chain including sales tax, while the 357XP will cost me $665.86 w/extra chain including sales tax.

I know that I was starting from the price point of a Rancher 455 ($428.31 w/extra chain and sales tax), but I've decided against going there.

Would appreciate your input. Money is an issue, but when it comes to tools, if I'm going to spend over $500, I'm wondering if going the extra $141.24 and getting a higher quality engine/build would be a wise decision. I'm never going - at least I don't think I'm ever going - to put the saw through heavy day-to-day use, but when your forking over big bucks, sometimes it might be wiser to go the extra. Do you think I'm wasting my money jumping from the 359 to the 357XP?

Last edited:
I got very lucky I got mine for $400 2 years ago from a dealer who was not carying husky anymore.

Ever since husky started selling thier saws in the box stores the husky reps have not been around the the local dealerships.

The dealers that still carry husky will only have 2 or 3 saws in stock and those are usualy not pro saws. Sithl is by far the most popular saw here. I stihl like husky better though for the simple fact of the husky air injection, it keeps the air cleaner much cleaner.

Its actually alot different around here, at my local dealership anyways. He has far more huskys that he does stihl and 90% of the stihl's that he does carry are homeowner, hes only got 1 361 and 1 441 and 1 460, everything else is smaller stuff. as far a huskys go ive seen atleast 4 372s on the wall and more in boxes plus the 575 too. hes got a few homeowner saws from husky but nothing smaller than the 455.

Chainsaw gurus: Do you think I should go the extra money and get the 357XP over the 359? I want this to be my last saw, and I only put up 4-5 cords of firewood a year. However, I may take down some fairly large oaks at some point.

The 359 will cost me $524.62 w/extra chain including sales tax, while the 357XP will cost me $665.86 w/extra chain including sales tax.

I know that I was starting from the price point of a Rancher 455 ($428.31 w/extra chain and sales tax), but I've decided against going there.

Would appreciate your input. Money is an issue, but when it comes to tools, if I'm going to spend over $500, I'm wondering if going the extra $141.24 and getting a higher quality engine/build would be a wise decision. I'm never going - at least I don't think I'm ever going - to put the saw through heavy day-to-day use, but when your forking over big bucks, sometimes it might be wiser to go the extra. Do you think I'm wasting my money jumping from the 359 to the 357XP?

It is really hard to have just 1 saw. The 359 has cut down wverything I have asked it to so far. I think for the money the 359 is a good saw. It could be the last one you ever buy. If you do not want to cut down trees larger than a 20" bar can handel. I have seen people use a 24" bar on a 359 only when they need it and then go back to the 20". I could not bring myself to spen the xtra on the 357. It would not be a waste of money the 357xp is a better saw. It is faster has more power and I think it is lighter.

I use the 359 for felling and bucking the biger stuff and my 345 and 026 for buchking and limbing the smaller stuff.

It is really hard to have just 1 saw. The 359 has cut down wverything I have asked it to so far. I think for the money the 359 is a good saw. It could be the last one you ever buy. If you do not want to cut down trees larger than a 20" bar can handel. I have seen people use a 24" bar on a 359 only when they need it and then go back to the 20". I could not bring myself to spen the xtra on the 357. It would not be a waste of money the 357xp is a better saw. It is faster has more power and I think it is lighter.

I use the 359 for felling and bucking the biger stuff and my 345 and 026 for buchking and limbing the smaller stuff.

The 359 actually is a a few grams lighter, but I don't think anyone will ever feel that difference.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, different cutting attachments will usually count for much more difference in weight and feel.

Interpolating a bit, the 359 probably is best off with a 16" bar for handling and feel - you can keep a longer spare one, and use it when needed. ;)

SawTroll,

I'd appreciate your opinion on my decision between the 359 and the 357XP.

357 or 359 are both great saws, personally I prefer the 357XP (it is a little HOT ROD saw in the stock form). I can't elaborate to much on a modded 357XP as I have never ran one. Which ever saw you are going to go with get it soon as they are going up in price Dec.01,2008. Just For Your Own Information. :jawdrop:

By the way- Those prices you quoted on the saws, are pretty good prices.

Last edited:
SawTroll,

I'd appreciate your opinion on my decision between the 359 and the 357XP.

I prefere the Euro MS361 to both, as I want an inboard clutch in that size of saw for versatility - but the 357xp is much zippier (and closer in power) than the 359.

So far, "60cc" is the only class where I chose a Stihl over a Husky. :jawdrop:

Last edited:
I prefere the Euro MS361 to both, as I want an inboard clutch in that size of saw for versatility - but the 357xp is much zippier (and closer in power) than the 359.

So far, "60cc" is the only class where I chose a Stihl over a Husky. :jawdrop:

SawTroll,

What are the advantages of an inboard clutch? And, what is an inboard clutch?

Also, do you rate the USA MS 361 C-B which has the toolless chain adjustment a better choice than either the 359 or the 357xp? Again, given my intended use of the saw (firewood 4-5 cords/yr, downing some oaks possibly), what would you choose?

with an inboard clutch you do not have to fight the clutch to get the chain on.

With and inboard clutch the sprocket is outermost from the saw. on an inboard clutch the sprocket is innermost with respect to the clutch so the clutch is outermost and therefor in your way when you are trying to put a chain on.

SawTroll,

What are the advantages of an inboard clutch? And, what is an inboard clutch?

Also, do you rate the USA MS 361 C-B which has the toolless chain adjustment a better choice than either the 359 or the 357xp? Again, given my intended use of the saw (firewood 4-5 cords/yr, downing some oaks possibly), what would you choose?

Avoid the 361 C-B, get the standard version, the C-B adds features that are not needed or wanted, and more that can go wrong + a tad extra weight.

Both the 357xp and the 361 has more power and zip than the 359, but admittedly I never ran the US version of the 361........

An inboard clutch makes it much easier to swap sprocket rims around to change the gearing, and usually makes the saw better for noodle cutting (ripping from the side of the tree).

Inboard clutch means that the clutch is between the sprocket and the saw body - outboard is the other way around, and leaves a more untidy space under the sprocket cover (interfering with noodle flow), but also makes a slimmer saw body possible, and puts the bar closer to the center of gravity - a handling asset regarding smaller saws......

If you only crosscut, and don't change the gearing often, this is a non-issue also on larger saws.

Last edited:
Chainsaw gurus:

Looks like you put yourself right into the MS361 price range!!

If you don't want to spend that much, then you might as well compare the 359 to the MS310 and MS390.

Looks like you put yourself right into the MS361 price range!!

If you don't want to spend that much, then you might as well compare the 359 to the MS310 and MS390.

With that Husky prices, the MS361 looks very good in comparison, I guess - don't even think of the 310 and 390....

Last edited:
Back