What saw Husky 455 Rancher or Husky 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefere the Euro MS361 to both, as I want an inboard clutch in that size of saw for versatility - but the 357xp is much zippier (and closer in power) than the 359.

So far, "60cc" is the only class where I chose a Stihl over a Husky. :jawdrop:
Yes but but the 361 is butt ugly compared to a jred lol. Just having some fun!:)
P.S I still think you should sell that 621 to me!

Sure, but off topic in this thread.....:buttkick:

Yeah but he's already gone from a 455 or 359 to a 359 or 357XP. I just thought I'd help him get all the way down the path to the best choices. :D

I like to see people start out fairly cheap and then say well for $100.00 more I can get this one. It happened to me.

At the time, I bought my 359 for the "rest of my life"; I cut down a 2 foot hardwood with it and it REALLY taxed the saw. It wasn't as much fun as it was work. With that said, I don't THINK a 357 could have done better. It's got more zip, but I think the torque has to be close. For a one saw plan a 359 is better than a 372 or 385 or just a 357 in my opinion.

The 357 is a higher strung saw, meaning that a professional might want more power out of that size chassis, but wouldn't mind replacing it in a few years when it blows up. The 359 doesn't really make enough power to kill itself, so it's better suited to a landowner.

Either way that 359 got me started, but I now have a 372 and a 385. I'm working on a 395 and a 3120 as well. I still love that 359 to death though.

Yeah but he's already gone from a 455 or 359 to a 359 or 357XP. I just thought I'd help him get all the way down the path to the best choices. :D

I like to see people start out fairly cheap and then say well for $100.00 more I can get this one. It happened to me.

LOL - I actually agree with you - but I try to follow the signals that the OP puts out in such cases - then again, I don't allways do it, not if I think the OP is way off in his thinking (doesn't apply in this thread)......:dizzy:

LOL - I actually agree with you - but I try to follow the signals that the OP puts out in such cases - then again, I don't allways do it, not if I think the OP is way off in his thinking (doesn't apply in this thread)......:dizzy:

SawTroll,

Given that the price point of the 357XP and the MS 361 are very close, do you believe the MS 361 would be the better choice. I know the Husky 372XP has an excellent reputation, but I feel that for me it would definitely be overkill. I can see the reasoning behind the benefit of having both the 346xp and the 372xp, but my situation restricts me to buying only one saw.

By the way, the independent dealer said that the 372xp is being phased out 12/1/2008, because of environmental issues (carbon credit allotments per manufacturer). Actually, I could buy the 372xp ($700 range) for only $100.00 more than the 357xp. But, as I said, the 372XP is overkill for me.

Also, I see that you have to be careful where you buy your saw, because a given model may appear to be identical from one vendor to another; however, a closer examination reveals different specs. One small box store is selling the 359; but, after checking the specs, I found that the carburetor listed on the Husky site indicated an HDA174, when in fact the carburetor from the small box store is an HDA199. (I don't know whether one is better than the other!) Also, the bar and chain of the 359 from the small box store ($514.99) is .050 gauge and not the .058 gauge available on the 359 from an independent Husky store ($470.00). So, it appears that apples that seem to be the same are not necessarily the same!

Given that I'm now at the $600-$700 range, is it your opinion that I should go Stihl MS 361 or would the 357XP be an equally good choice? I must say that I do like the balance of the Husky's, but I really need some frank direction, because as I mentioned, I don't have the time to do the necessary due diligence. I would appreciate your honest opinion regarding what to choose: the 357XP or the MS 361.

Please note that whatever decision I make, I won't hold anyone responsible for my decision. I just would like your frank opinion and your reasoning for whatever you feel is a better choice.

P.S. I also welcome opinions regarding what saw to purchase from other members.

Last edited:
If you want one saw to do it all the answer is easy- 60cc. That's what they are made for. 50cc is too small on the larger stuff, 70cc is too big for the tight work. You won't go wrong with the 357 or 361, both are great saws! I would choose the best dealer and let that make the decision for me. Who stocks the parts and accessories you will need? Who is easier to deal with? Price differences? Good luck and tell us which you chose!
Dok

SawTroll,

Given that the price point of the 357XP and the MS 361 are very close, do you believe the MS 361 would be the better choice. I know the Husky 372XP has an excellent reputation, but I feel that for me it would definitely be overkill. I can see the reasoning behind the benefit of having both the 346xp and the 372xp, but my situation restricts me to buying only one saw.

By the way, the independent dealer said that the 372xp is being phased out 12/1/2008, because of environmental issues (carbon credit allotments per manufacturer). Actually, I could buy the 372xp ($700 range) for only $100.00 more than the 357xp. But, as I said, the 372XP is overkill for me.

Also, I see that you have to be careful where you buy your saw, because a given model may appear to be identical from one vendor to another; however, a closer examination reveals different specs. One small box store is selling the 359; but, after checking the specs, I found that the carburetor listed on the Husky site indicated an HDA174, when in fact the carburetor from the small box store is an HDA199. (I don't know whether one is better than the other!) Also, the bar and chain of the 359 from the small box store ($514.99) is .050 gauge and not the .058 gauge available on the 359 from an independent Husky store ($470.00). So, it appears that apples that seem to be the same are not necessarily the same!

Given that I'm now at the $600-$700 range, is it your opinion that I should go Stihl MS 361 or would the 357XP be an equally good choice? I must say that I do like the balance of the Husky's, but I really need some frank direction, because as I mentioned, I don't have the time to do the necessary due diligence. I would appreciate your honest opinion regarding what to choose: the 357XP or the MS 361.

Please note that whatever decision I make, I won't hold anyone responsible for my decision. I just would like your frank opinion and your reasoning for whatever you feel is a better choice.

P.S. I also welcome opinions regarding what saw to purchase from other members.

Not to through you off track but I see another option. a 359 with a modified muffler and a woods port mod. It should cost you in the $600-700 range I think and will be more powerful than the 361 or the 357.

If you do not want to modify I still like the husky air injection better than stihl. It really does a good job keeping the air filters clean. On my stihl 026 I have to clean the air filter every tank of gas. With my huskys it is more like once every 6 tanks of gas. Stihl uses intellicarb to adjust the fuel mixture compensating for a plugged air filter. IMHO this is a not addressing the real problem of poor air prefiltration. I think you would be really happy with a 357xp and a 20" bar if you are not willing to modify a 359.

Not to through you off track but I see another option. a 359 with a modified muffler and a woods port mod. It should cost you in the $600-700 range I think and will be more powerful than the 361 or the 357.

If you do not want to modify I still like the husky air injection better than stihl. It really does a good job keeping the air filters clean. On my stihl 026 I have to clean the air filter every tank of gas. With my huskys it is more like once every 6 tanks of gas. Stihl uses intellicarb to adjust the fuel mixture compensating for a plugged air filter. IMHO this is a not addressing the real problem of poor air prefiltration. I think you would be really happy with a 357xp and a 20" bar if you are not willing to modify a 359.
:agree2:

OK, if I can't talk you into buying two saws then I would consider the 357XP or the MS361. I've got a 359 with a non cat muffler and it's a good saw but when you get up over the 20" size tree it doesn't like them but will cut them. The 372XP is too big (for me anyway) for limbing.

I've got two Husqvarnas and one Makita but if I were going to get one of the two (357XP or MS361) it would probably be the MS361 if you're absolutely sure that you don't want a two saw plan. I haven't ran either but the 361 has a great reputation.

I bought the 359 with the intention of that being my only saw. It could have worked but I found that a smaller saw and a bigger saw suited my use better.

357 will like cutting 20 inch trees even less than a non epa 359. 357 has slightly less displacement and narrower higher RPM powerband.

Ported 359 is hard to beat @ 60cc and very good price wise if you want to get into moddified saws.

Only strike I would put against 357 or 359 compared to 361 is the outboard clutch, it can be a PITA to change chains esp with 8 pin 3/8 gear and 16 inch bar.

I have been hearing this more and more from the different dealers. One guy told me the that 372 and the 575 are being combined into one saw, another said he has heard something like that. One guy doesn't even know about the 576 so he is kind of out of the loop.

Is there anyone out there what can confirm or deny this rumor. I know we have reps on this board, but they are probably too busy to read this board. But maybe someone could ask one and post the answer. I ordered my 372xpw the other day so hopefully I will get it soon. A couple of the dealers I have spoken with, can't keep the saw on the shelves. They sell the saw the same day they come in. But having the straight scoop on the 372 would be good to know.

However if I can't get a 372, the 460 is on the list next.

Danrclem,

The 455 is off out of the running! So, I'm stuck with choosing the MS 361, 359, or 359xp. First, is it worth going the extra $132.00 for the 357xp for quality parts and build over the 359? There seems to be the position that the 359 allows more flexibility if you want to mod the saw. However, I don't think I would ever want to do that.

I was leaning to the 357xp, because I thought that better quality parts and build would be worth the additional expense, since I want this to be my last saw. I read about the advantages of the MS 361 inboard clutch when it comes to fries clogging the saw, but I don't know whether that would be an issue with my usage of the saw.

I don't want to spend the additional on the 357xp if it's not really necessary and the 359 would be virtually as good, but I don't want to skimp when it comes to laying out such large bucks if the higher quality parts and build would provide significant added insurance to the longevity of the saw. I'm extremely fastidious with my power equipment care!

I'm trying to come to a final decision today and was going to ask the vendor to set aside the 357xp that he has in stock. I would appreciate your and others opinions.

357 and 359 xp or not share almost all parts except

Piston
Cylinder
Muffler
Crank stuffers on 357
Muffler Cat on 359 non EPA 357
Green fuel cap on 359 blue or black on 357
Stickers

359 has a couple extra cc's but the stock porting is not as clean as 357.

Back