What saw parts to have on hand when cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I cut firewood and am on the one saw plan right now. I was thinking that it may be a good idea to have a few simple parts on hand just in case there was an issue so I could get the saw up an running and finish cutting a load. So I have come up with a simple list of extra parts to have on hand just in case. Is there anything else you like to have on hand just in case?

- Air filter
- spark plug
- sprocket
- e-clips
- needle bearing
- bar nuts
- fuel filter
- scrench
- extra bar/chains

A few things that I've broke or lost out in the woods include:
Gas/oil cap
Bar nuts
Chain tensioner
Av mounts
Misc screws

Nice to have just in case:
Spare spark plug
Spare sprocket
Spare air filter

Since you plan on using one saw maybe bring an old back up bar just invade you pinch the one you have on your saw.

Since you mention a scrench I assume you're including tools, so I would add chain files to even a minimalist list. Also, if you're going to keep a fuel filter on hand a means of fishing it out without introducing a bunch of dust/crap would be a good idea as well.

Does your saw have a drive sprocket or a rim sprocket? If it has the standard drive sprocket I would suggest buying a rim sprocket setup & an extra rim or two before I'd stick money into a spare drive sprocket. Cheaper to swap out & makes it cheaper to change chain pitches if you ever needed/wanted when/if you change to a multi-saw plan.

I take files and a stump vise as it is with several extra chains and a second bar.

I plan to use long needle nose pliers for getting the fuel filter out but that would be a new experience for me so if there is any better tool to accomplish that please let me know.

I run an MS 271 that has a spur drive sprocket. I have no idea if it can be setup to run a rim sprocket with .325 pitch chain but I would be interested if it was something that was possible. I need to look into that further. I'm sure someone on here knows. I definitely need to add an extra flippy cap to the list.

I plan to use long needle nose pliers for getting the fuel filter out but that would be a new experience for me so if there is any better tool to accomplish that please let me know.
A piece of heavy wire (like a metal coat hanger) about 6 or 8" long with a loop on one end works well for fishing a fuel filter out of the tank. Just loop the wire around the fuel line and pull it out slowly.

Yes that's a good idea or atleast a axe to drive wedges or cut you saw out I need be

I second the pull rope. Nothin sucks more than having everything all ready to go then the rope breaks and you punch yourself in the face. Bar nuts always. Extra chains for when one gets bent or run in the dirt. Extra saw or bar. A flat file. Sometimes you can fix a bar in a pinch by bending it back into shape and filing the little lip that forms on the edge back down. And a scrench with the torx end is a must.

I run an MS 271 that has a spur drive sprocket. I have no idea if it can be setup to run a rim sprocket with .325 pitch chain but I would be interested if it was something that was possible. I need to look into that further. I'm sure someone on here knows. I definitely need to add an extra flippy cap to the list.

Okay, this is an interesting one. In mediaCAT it shows a common spur drive sprocket for the 271 & 261, but shows no rim sprocket for the 271. There is a rim sprocket for the 261 obviously as that's what comes factory and shows up in mediaCAT. Does anyone know any reason the rim sprocket for the 261 would NOT be compatible on the 271 when they share a spur drive part number???

If they are compatible as I suspect, your part number for the .325-7T rim sprocket kit is 1141 007 1002.

You don't need heavy wire to fish out a fuel filter. Paper clip with a circular hook on the end will do nicely.

Definitely a couple 5" plastic wedges, and maybe a couple 8" if you cut wood bigger than 16-18" diam. You can usually cut or just pick up a stick suitable for setting the wedges. Plan on using them regularly for bucking & felling. Much better than pinching the bar- I figured out after a few pinches. Much preferable to leave a wedge overnight than bar & chain.

An acid brush works great for cleaning around the filler caps before topping off tanks. Good places to keep clean.

I'm with jug head. Before joining AS, I used to carry around a massive pile of crap in a neat bucket I set up for going cutting. I never had a problem I couldn't handle and usually had a great day of sawing firewood. Now I usually forget the bucket and just bring nine saws along and waste half my day playing with them while I should be cutting.

I carry 4 saws with me & if they won't work then I figure God's telling me it isn't my day to cut. He hasn't sent me a don't cut message yet. (Stihl 08s with 25" bar, 08s with 17" bar, Husqvarna 338xpt California with 14" bar & a Jonsered CS2139T with a 12" bar.)

I don't carry spare parts. Make sure saws are serviced after day's use. However I do carry:
Wood cutting Trailer Tool Box.jpg
Wood cutting Trailer.jpg
(Photos taken before I got the Husqvarna 338xpt & the other 2 Stihls with 17" bars are S10s, basically the same a the 08s's.) The bucket is mainly for use on the tractor.

Helped on a loggin job a while back.they laughed when I pulled out at least 5 saws.they stopped laughin when I sawed out all of theirs.lol they really didnt laugh when I let them run my pm700.:D Pulled up on an orchard pruning job a while back and opened the back of my truck.guy that was sent to help me looked and said "you don't &$@! Around do ya.:laugh:

Okay, this is an interesting one. In mediaCAT it shows a common spur drive sprocket for the 271 & 261, but shows no rim sprocket for the 271. There is a rim sprocket for the 261 obviously as that's what comes factory and shows up in mediaCAT. Does anyone know any reason the rim sprocket for the 261 would NOT be compatible on the 271 when they share a spur drive part number???

If they are compatible as I suspect, your part number for the .325-7T rim sprocket kit is 1141 007 1002.

Great info. This sounds like a new thread to get more eyes on it.

I'm with jug head. Before joining AS, I used to carry around a massive pile of crap in a neat bucket I set up for going cutting. I never had a problem I couldn't handle and usually had a great day of sawing firewood. Now I usually forget the bucket and just bring nine saws along and waste half my day playing with them while I should be cutting.

I can only dream but at some point I will move to the two saw plan. I already have my eye on an MS441c-m.

Latest posts

Back