what saw would you choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofurkey

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed here before and I've read a lot of the threads, but I'm trying to decide on a saw. I cut ~10-15 cords/year. It seems that every year I get offers to take trees that are bigger and bigger--up to 35" or so. I'd like to stay in the < $550 dollar range and have echo,stihl, dolmar/Makita, and husky dealers nearby. I think I've narrowed it down to about 4 saws: Echo cs600p, Stihl 311, Makita dcs6401, and a Husky 460. I have a good limbing saw but am looking for something in the 60cc class. I'm looking for some constructive input as to your choice in these saws and any plusses or minuses you see in the others. Thanks!

I know this has been discussed here before and I've read a lot of the threads, but I'm trying to decide on a saw. I cut ~10-15 cords/year. It seems that every year I get offers to take trees that are bigger and bigger--up to 35" or so. I'd like to stay in the < $550 dollar range and have echo,stihl, dolmar/Makita, and husky dealers nearby. I think I've narrowed it down to about 4 saws: Echo cs600p, Stihl 311, Makita dcs6401, and a Husky 460. I have a good limbing saw but am looking for something in the 60cc class. I'm looking for some constructive input as to your choice in these saws and any plusses or minuses you see in the others. Thanks!

Not sure how much the MS361 is but I used to have one (before I traded it in for a MS 460) and used it on large oaks (30+"). It was adequate and a nice saw to use, but the 460 was WELL worth the extra 300$. If I remember right, I think I paid just over 600 for the MS361. Not sure if the new 362 is any better or worse though.

I know that was not in your choices but is a good one to consider also.

if were me id get the makita. i run all husky pro saws. not sure one the stihl and echo and husky model not sure if they are pro. but the makita is a great saw. if you ever find your self needing a larger saw you can put the 7900 top end in it. what size saw is your limbing saw???? and what is it

i would also say the kita 6401, HOWEVER, the echo echo 600p is a really good saw. if it were me i would scrutinize both the 6401 and the 600p and buy the one that feels better in my hands.
the power out of the 600p is quite impressive. it's a fast saw, but the 6401 can be made to be a 7901 pretty easy..... something to think about:)

From your list of saws I'd pick the 6401 also. I've never ran one but I've heard good things about them. If I was going to pick a saw to cut down 35" trees I'd want a 70cc+ saw. It would cost more but I think one of them would make you much happier.

From the saws you mentioned, Id pick the makita as well. If you plan on cutting many of the 35'' plus trees, You might be happier with a 70cc+ size saw. Maybe a 372xp or a ms441. Just my opinion though.:cheers:

:agree2:, except that he wants to stay in the $550 range--that would leave you with used saws in the 70cc class. Depends on what you are comfortable with--I prefer to buy new as I am no saw mechanic. Of the saws you listed I would choose the Makita or the Echo.
:cheers:
Tim

For that kind of money I think you can bring home a Stihl MS 361:

StihlMS3611.jpg

Replaced by the 362, this saw is available today at bargain prices. Look around.

6401. But I really don't know anything about saws. I just got one of the HD one's for way less than you are talking about spending. The thing is awesome though, and the upgrade possibilities are a +.

What about the used MS460 in the trading post for $550? Brad seems to have a pretty strong reputation around here.

From the saws you mentioned, Id pick the makita as well. If you plan on cutting many of the 35'' plus trees, You might be happier with a 70cc+ size saw. Maybe a 372xp or a ms441. Just my opinion though.:cheers:

I don't cut a lot of the 35+ trees but I don't like to turn down good wood either--especially if it is because I dont have enough saw. I don't have my own property to cut on, but I'm getting a pretty good network of landowners and farmers who call me to take anything and everything. Since the wood is my only payment, I don't feel bad about turning someone down but I do like free heat!

Thanks a lot for the input guys! I know everyone has a fav brand or model. I haven't been at this long enough to be completely sold on anything. I don't have the time or money to make all the mistakes myself so I thought I'd ask the people who use their saws for what I do-- firewood. I appreciate the honest answers. I have been leaning toward the makita because it is easy to upgrade. Bailey's has them on sale right now for $495. I think Bailey's is a trustworthy outfit so I'm not worried about buying online. I will however try to buy locally first. Unfortunately my current economic situation requires that I try to save every penny where I can:mad:

I have a 6401 and like it. I find that it is a little underpowered for my taste, but it does work well. Most people like it stock. Of the saws you have lsited, I only have experience with the 6401 and 311. I would take the 6401 over the 311 any day.

I bought the saw with the plan to upgrade the p&c, so it will be sufficient when I am done. If I were you (and this is what I did) I would look for a Home Depot with a rental center and pester the rental manager about the saw till they sell it to you. Worked for me. Got mine for $260 out the door with two new chains, some oil, and a bar cover.

Latest posts

Back