What sharpening setup to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting good at this hand filing-the bench vise is solid advice, put chainbrake on, and use a guide. I just ordered a dozen 7/32 files from Save Edge $14 bucks what a friggin bargain!

I'm getting good at this hand filing-the bench vise is solid advice, put chainbrake on, and use a guide. I just ordered a dozen 7/32 files from Save Edge $14 bucks what a friggin bargain!

Yeah . . . I most likely will stick with the hand-filing method. I'm usually just havin' a beer and answering a question or two from my 5yr old son anyhow so it all works out! As long as you have extra chains when in the field and they are sharp it doesn't matter how they got sharp.

I just bought northern tool's grinder for about $100 including shipping- I'm going to try it out a night this week - I got sick of doing 7-8 chains every month or so by hand - so i sucked it up and bought a grinder.

Someone mentioned something about filing down the guides some after a certain number of sharpenings - how does one know when to do this?

I just bought northern tool's grinder for about $100 including shipping- I'm going to try it out a night this week - I got sick of doing 7-8 chains every month or so by hand - so i sucked it up and bought a grinder.

Someone mentioned something about filing down the guides some after a certain number of sharpenings - how does one know when to do this?
raker gauage some just guess and are really good at it but a gauge is cheap
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15225

I've got the "Battery Powered Hand Grinder" and the dremel. But occasionally they get away from me and jump over the top of the cutter. So, I usually finish up with a stroke or few of the hand file.

Raker gauge was a good investment for me. But be careful. Temptation is to cut the rakers a little short to get a more aggressive chain. This can hurt you if you like bore cuts, or if you are working on your climbing saw and get tempted into one-handing it. Short rakers increase the chance of kickback.

Carlton file-o-plate, Baileys has them. Nice compact and cheap, I think they are less than 5 bucks

I have a Jolly grinder and an Efco grinder. They both work great - the Efco has a reversible motor but they both do the job.

I wouldn't worry about your friends - I let them "use" the grinder for beer or donations. If they want me to do their chains I charge them $5.

Latest posts

Back