What should you look for when buying a second hand saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am wanting to no this because i get told that i go over the top when i get a used saw.

I generally replace the spark plug, clean the filter, take exhaust off to check for scouring- if it looks suspicious at all then i take the barrel off and inspect a bit closer , make sure starter rope is ok, always ensure that the break works and just do a all over inspection of the saw.

Is this being over the top at all?
What do you guys look for?

No, I do not think any thing you do when buying a used saw is over the top. I look for bargins then ask to hear them run. If it starts easy runs well and the price is right I take the plunge. If it were a lot of money being thrown down Im sure I would be more picky. Rick!

What saw do you have now? What size of wood do you cut? How long have you been running saws? Are you cutting firewood for just yourself?

Sounds about right....I'll also make sure the oiler is working.I''ll cut some wood make sure the saw don't bog in the cut.I always do a Comp.test..I like to see 130+,higher is better

What saw do you have now? What size of wood do you cut? How long have you been running saws? Are you cutting firewood for just yourself?

I have a 340,266,272,385,394 and 10 other saws that i sell parts off. i cut wood of all sizes all up to 70'' and have been running saws for 6 years now but have my father teaching me, he has 36 years experience. i cut wood for 5 different households.

I have a 340,266,272,385,394 and 10 other saws that i sell parts off. i cut wood of all sizes all up to 70'' and have been running saws for 6 years now but have my father teaching me, he has 36 years experience. i cut wood for 5 different households.

OH! IMO, you know a whole lot more than your OP let on. :msp_thumbup:

I always take the muffler off and inspect. I take the top plastic off and look for tampering. And if everything check's from there I'll start it and check the oiler.

I usually dump out whatever is in the fuel tank. After inspection I may put it back in after running it through a filter but it usually goes in my "fire starter" can. I also check the air filter, inspect the contents of the oil tank and sometimes empty that out too. Depending on the situation with the saw I will inspect the piston though the plug hole and exhaust port. I only change spark plugs when they quit working, never "just because". Usually I will do some cleaning around the clutch and chain brake mechanism, make sure the fins are clean (usually they aren't) and do a thorough once over of the saw. Then I start it and put it in some wood. Oh, while cleaning, I always attend to the bar and usually dress that, clean the groove, check the nose sprocket, sharpen the chain (or replace it) etc.

I don't have a specific checklist I go through on every saw, just depends. If I am going to sell a saw vs use it, I do a lot more inspection so I know what I have and can describe it accurately.

If it's an absolutely unbelievable deal, make sure to check Craigslist and your local classifieds for people reporting a stolen saw. There was a minty 880 for $200 around here once.

Also, if it's brand new and super cheap, watch out for Chinese ripoffs.

depends on the price, outward appearance, and if it runs. I have been burned a time or two but I am cheap so I usually find a good deal, so I just check for function.

If it's an absolutely unbelievable deal, make sure to check Craigslist and your local classifieds for people reporting a stolen saw. There was a minty 880 for $200 around here once.

Also, if it's brand new and super cheap, watch out for Chinese ripoffs.

A saw that cheap could be stolen but often one will discover "a woman scorned...."

I am wanting to no this because i get told that i go over the top when i get a used saw.

I generally replace the spark plug, clean the filter, take exhaust off to check for scouring- if it looks suspicious at all then i take the barrel off and inspect a bit closer , make sure starter rope is ok, always ensure that the break works and just do a all over inspection of the saw.

Is this being over the top at all?
What do you guys look for?

Your post states you do all of this when you "get" a used saw, not while inspecting it to buy, right? So you're doing all this maintenance after you buy them. Sure, that's a good idea to do before you go out in the woods with them. Not sure what your question is. Or if you're just letting us know you have a conscience and your buds don't. :msp_thumbup:

You've been around saws long enough to know when one has been maintained and one has been flogged.

Yes, if you are buying a saw to work right away, the least you would do is pull the muffler to look at the p/c and ring condition. (gotta love a 2 stroke for this reason)
A compression check and a look at the clutch, drive pin, and brake condition will tell you if it's ready to go to work.

Your post states you do all of this when you "get" a used saw, not while inspecting it to buy, right? So you're doing all this maintenance after you buy them. Sure, that's a good idea to do before you go out in the woods with them. Not sure what your question is. Or if you're just letting us know you have a conscience and your buds don't. :msp_thumbup:

You've been around saws long enough to know when one has been maintained and one has been flogged.

Yes, if you are buying a saw to work right away, the least you would do is pull the muffler to look at the p/c and ring condition. (gotta love a 2 stroke for this reason)
A compression check and a look at the clutch, drive pin, and brake condition will tell you if it's ready to go to work.

I do all these things when i buy a saw, i often get saws posted to me, so i cant really inspect the saw befor hand, my question is, Am i going to far with inspecting a saw? :msp_sneaky:

I do all these things when i buy a saw, i often get saws posted to me, so i cant really inspect the saw befor hand, my question is, Am i going to far with inspecting a saw? :msp_sneaky:

Nah, keep up the good work. :rock:

Yes.
You must have some very understanding sellers in NZ, me i would tell you to take a hike.

Back