What size chain and bar do I need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seems that I have a saw that was produced with two different pitches of chain and bar. My 55 rancher was produced with a .325 or a .375 pitch. I have measured and the measurement indicates that I have the .375 pitch but the chain does have some wear so I am wondering if the chain wear could give me a false reading.

The only thing that I can find on the chain is a 72 stamped on the drive links and the bar length is 18". Is this enough information for you guys to tell me what pitch chain I have?

One more question. The saw has an 18" bar on it. Since I am going to be getting a new bar and chain should I get a 20" bar for this 55 rancher? What would be the negatives associated with a longer bar?

Man, I am going to have to use all my fingers and toes to count that high. I am off and counting.

I counted 68 cutters so if there is one cutter per link I have a 3/8" chain which matches up with my earlier measurements.

Thanks.

I ordered a forester bar and chain. 3/8" pitch .050" gauge 68 links 18" bar. This way if I want I can use the old chain for sawing rocks. I am wondering what shape tooth will be on the chain. I hope that it will be full chisel.

Thanks for all the help.

Back