What solvent do you use in your parts washer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flat47

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on solvents for use in parts washers for saw and Jeep parts. What do you use?

I'd like to put a parts washer in the garage, which is usually unheated and therefore susceptible to freezing. Anything with plumbing needs to be freeze-proof or easily drained.

Let's here it. What's good and what's not. What cuts grease and what eats plastic.

We use kerosene in the parts washer at work. Cuts the funk off of saws, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects on plastics.

When I needed to top off my washer last summer Tractor Supply had the cheapest solvent. I think it is mineral spirits or close to mineral spirits.

I have a HF cheap heated parts USC and I use tide powder about half a scoop and drain and fill when ever needed. I just got a large batch of parts cases clutch covers tops etc. I filled a 5 gal bucket with parts hot water and soap left sit for 1.5-2 days and the stuff was clean caked on sawdust and pitch scrubbed off easy and stuff looks good make sure to wash clean when pulling stuff out though lye aint good on any thing, plastic, mag., alum-nothing if it leaves a white residue wash it or re soak it, oil it, something to neturlize it, something. and its cheap and o'plentyful

In the parts washer I used to use mineral spirits which works great but is too expensive now. So I currently use Jet-A (kerosene) which also provides good results at half the price per gallon.

I use mineral spirits in mine. But the next time I clean it (sometime this spring) I'll be putting in kerosene.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I found a gallon of something (was a few years ago) at farm and fleet that you mix with kerosene. Seems to work pretty good. But then again, just kerosene works pretty good too.

Lots of votes for kerosene - I've been soaking parts in it up until now. The biggest gripe I had was the smell that lingered on my hands and all of my clothes. The hardware store has some Zep 505 and Zep Purple stuff fpr $10 to $15 per gallon. I don't know what it's made of.

Stotdard solvent . I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling . I get at a local oil distributer . I'm thinking its around 6 - 7 $ a gallon . Works good, very little smell and evaporates of the clean parts .

I currently use Jet-A...
Ah, memories of working at an airport. When I was desperate for gas, the daily test drain from the 100LL truck would go into my truck to get me home. That same truck had official bumper stickers for a fuel truck that read "Jet-A". People on the road never knew what to make of it.

Stotdard solvent . I'm not sure if that's the correct spelling . I get at a local oil distributer . I'm thinking its around 6 - 7 $ a gallon . Works good, very little smell and evaporates of the clean parts .

That's mineral spirits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit

Seems like Kero is the cheapest of all. I have used gasoline to clean parts, but it evaporates pretty quick these days. Diesel is cheaper than Kero, don't ever remember using it as a solvent.

I love me some Purple Power but it will take off paint in a hurry. I always used to heat a big pot of it and was amazed at the results. A pot of nasty chains after boiling on the wood stove would be so clean I would need to oil them before rust set in.
After reading a post from Randy I started soaking everything in bucket of old dumped gas and diesel fuel (kerosene) overnight. It's free and it works great. I keep I lid on it so it won't evaporate and I pour it off into a second bucket once in awhile to get the sludge out of the bottom.
I still do a quick final cleaning with the purple stuff to get the film off.

This was $30ish at Home Depot
image.jpg

There are parts washers set up strictly for aqueous solutions and others solely for solvent based solutions. The purple, green and citrus 'bio-degradeable' based cleaners aren't meant to be mixed with solvent. The pumps will be screwed if you use the wrong solution.

I can buy Stoddard Solvent from the local Chevron jobber. Cheaper than mineral spirits, so that's what I run. It has significantly less smell than Kero, Jet A, or Diesel.

I use Graymills Agentine solvent with lanoline in it to keep my hands soft :) It is labeled as flammable but I have yet to light the parts washer up and I smoke while using it, spray it with grinder sparks and occasionally use the lid as a welding table to tack weld. It is a bit pricy at 140 for 5 gallons, but it does a great job, does not evaporate, and I love the smell. I put 10 gallons in my parts washer 8 years ago and just in the last few months had to top it off with 3 gallons. Most of the fluid loss was spills ect.
http://www.grainger.com/product/2W352?cm_sp=HIO-_-HIDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ13

Gonna try Zep Purple. Hadn't even thought of the flammability aspect until mentioned here. I'd hate for a welding or grinding spark to ignite the parts washer.
Thanks everybody. Good discussion.

Gonna try Zep Purple. Hadn't even thought of the flammability aspect until mentioned here. I'd hate for a welding or grinding spark to ignite the parts washer.
Thanks everybody. Good discussion.
Zep purple is a great cleaner, I use it to keep my garage floor clean after weekend motor swaps ect. I do however hate the slimy feeling it leaves on your hands. Remember anything will burn under the right conditions, the key is to know those conditions and avoid them when practical and always have a few charged fire extinguishers close at hand in your work area.

Back