What solvent do you use in your parts washer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oderless mineral spirits in the old HF parts washer. Needs changed out really bad. Will probably go with kerosene, but off road diesel works too.

Use dawn soap and water in a zip loc bag, and place it in water for the ultrasonic cleaner, keeps it nice and clean. Can leave it in there in the summer, but I pour it out in the winter so it won't freeze in there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Zep purple is a great cleaner, I use it to keep my garage floor clean after weekend motor swaps ect. I do however hate the slimy feeling it leaves on your hands. Remember anything will burn under the right conditions, the key is to know those conditions and avoid them when practical and always have a few charged fire extinguishers close at hand in your work area.
We should really wear rubber gloves when messing with that stuff. I never end up wearing them though.
I think the purple stuff is the same as lye. It has high alkalinity and is caustic. The slimy feeling on your hands is actually dissolved skin.
It helps to rinse your hands with vinegar.

i use diesel to clean a lot of parts as it leaves a little oil behind. Going to try some purple power.

Straight screwdriver for the thick stuff.
Kerosene for the greasy stuff. (In parts washer)
Simple green for the plastic stuff. (in spray bottle)
Brakleen to "un-kerosene" the metal stuff that will get painted. (Careful- Will melt some plastics)

Have used diesel for years. Works well & hasn't ever damaged any plastic. Contaminates settle out well. Can catch the diesel from the nozzle & it looks as clear as new diesel.

Lots of votes for kerosene - I've been soaking parts in it up until now. The biggest gripe I had was the smell that lingered on my hands and all of my clothes. The hardware store has some Zep 505 and Zep Purple stuff fpr $10 to $15 per gallon. I don't know what it's made of.
Zep 505 is amazing for cleaning bbq grills and smokers but sadly the local HD stores quit carrying it. Where do you buy yours?

Zep 505 is amazing for cleaning bbq grills and smokers but sadly the local HD stores quit carrying it. Where do you buy yours?
Got it by the gallon at the local hardware store. I think Zep and Selig are now the same parent company.

Well I got the Harbor Freight parts washer, loaded it up with kero and the pump lasted exactly 60 secs. My bad page 3 says only water based cleaners. So my question is what pump handles the kero and is the most affordable? Thanks !

Well I got the Harbor Freight parts washer, loaded it up with kero and the pump lasted exactly 60 secs. My bad page 3 says only water based cleaners. So my question is what pump handles the kero and is the most affordable? Thanks !

I have the same parts washer. I bought some water based solution but have not used it yet because my garage is not heated or insulated. I would rather use solvent based but haven't because the pump won't last.

I made an impulse buy yesterday after thumbing through a TSC flyer and seeing their parts washer with casters on sale. I called the local TSC thinking there is no way they are going to have one of these but they did. My wife is away and left me with credit cards (big mistake) so off to TSC I go. They recommended their PSC-1000 (mineral spirits doctored up) which I got 10 gallons of.

This stuff has very low odor. I used to use straight gasoline and my wife would literally get sick from the smell on my clothes afterwards. With this stuff, she came in my workroom after several hours of me cleaning parts and said she couldn't smell anything bad. That was great news since I could now tell her that I bought the parts cleaner for both of us! :)

Mine is a HF parts washer, I've had it 9-10 years, use diesel & never had a problem with it. I guess the newer ones have changed since diesel is basically dirty kerosene.

I have a 40 gallon parts washer from HF. I'm on my second pump but I've used it a number of years. The solvent (kero, diesel, mineral spirits, Jet-A or whatever) will settle out eventually. I drain out the dirty solvent after stirring everything up real well and brushing the bottom to get everything into solution. I put the five gallon pails (usually 2) up high somewhere and leave them be for several weeks. I then put my small siphon hose (small so not to create too much suction) into them and drain them back down into my tank to add to the new solvent I put in there in the meantime. I tie wrap the siphon hose to a metal rod about 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the pail so as not to suck the crap out. The solvent will turn clear in a few weeks of setting. The remaining solvent and crud is accelerant for my next brush pile. Or I put it in the wood burner if it's that time of year. I usually clean my parts washer out every two or three years. I use the Jet-A because it has a lot less smell than diesel even though it is slightly more cost. It's also not as "oily" but does get that way over time from the grease it dissolves off of stuff. I clean a lot of stuff besides chainsaws. In fact, if I only did saws, I wouldn't need a parts washer, I'd just use a five gallon pail to lower stuff into for soaking and use a large drain pan (the kind for transmission servicing) to brush parts with solvent in. Then dump it all back into the pail and put on a lid.

I thought I would post a follow-up after getting my new parts washer (above) from TSC and using their recommended PSC-1000 solvent (naptha). Initially I was very happy with it but after 8 days the pump failed. I removed the pump and noticed all the clear o-ring gaskets had swelled and broken the plastic pump parts. I brought it back and they said they had never seen that before (???). So to their credit, they ripped a pump out of another unit and gave it to me.

I installed that one and it worked fine - for 11 days - and then same thing. I brought that one back and pointed out that the manual had a single line buried in the middle that said this washer was for water based solvents only. They only offered to give me my money back if I returned it and the solvent. Yeah right.

So I went on ebay and bought a used Little Giant solvent pump that was designed to pump petroleum based solvents for $40. I then went to HD and bought a number of brass and IP fittings. I removed the old pump and all its associated stuff, bored a 3/4" hole in the side wall and mounted the pump using a 1/2" IP coupler and an electrical strain relief. The pump mounts so that the intake is about 1.5" below the surface which allowed me to bore the hole in the side wall without emptying the solvent and keeps it well above the crap in the bottom. I also bored a 5/8" hole in the external switch box to allow the new cord to get wired to the switch. I goofed and put the new hole on top which interferes with using the switch - I'll move it to the bottom sometime. I also had to grind a small half moon in the removable work table to accommodate the pump body.

As you see, I added a ball valve to control the flow since this pump has a much higher flow rate than the original. I used a propane rated ball valve thinking the materials used inside it would more likely withstand petroleum solvents - so far no problems. I used 1/4" ID vinyl tubing which is good for these solvents but does get stiffer than I like. I am looking for something else that remains more flexible (gas line???).

I also added a flow-thru brush which really helps with the cleanups.P1010926.JPG P1010927.JPG P1010928.JPG

Latest posts

Back