What the diffrence in pumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was nosing around and run across a imported 28gpm 2 stage pump for 199. When I bought mine I got a barnes same specs and it cost me 400. I am curious did I over pay for my pump? Should I have bought a import pump? I hope theres some diffrence in them for the money.
Is there any performance , or quality diffrence in the two? My neighbor is thinking of getting one because the price diffrence.

I would like to hear what does the community has to say besides people saying that the imports are cheap junk
I want to know the good and bad on the pumps. Not that I want to hear bad things, but I know it happens. I appreciate it Thanks

Last edited:
I would also like to add...

Do the import pumps make more noise?

Do they wear out quicker?

items are often over priced because a lack of competition, hence imported items get an edge over domestic with a price difference. But, before you jump into an imported item, think about a few things.

Lets take Kia. Quality car, prices thousands of dollars less than a comparable domestic and many other japanese vehicles, and sales are brisk.Why?Because you get a quality car, lots of dollars less, but more importantly Kia recognized early that cheaper doesnt always sell, but you have to have two things. People have to feel they got their money's worth, and they have to be able to repair them. And here goes the jist of my argument.
If the pump you are looking at is cheaper in price,but appears to be of good qualilty, how about parts?How easy are they to get, and how are they priced? Wont do any good to save $200 on the pump, and when a valve or gear craps the bed you gotta chunk the whole thing. Many import parts have no parts available to fix them, hence they are a throw away item.Not saving any money that way.

Do a little research on your pump, and find out if parts are available and are priced reasonably. If the parts are there, and priced reasonable, its a sure sign that the company that built that pump intends to be around for awhile and wants to be a player in that arena instead of making a quick buck copying someone else's design and hauling butt.

Remember the Yugo?Cheap, poor quality, no parts available or very spendy, and they disappeared.

Often a phone call and a little research on Google can turn up your answers. What is the name of the pump you are looking at?

Heck, when I think about it, Honda was the same way when it showed up here in this country. Their cars were inexpensive, durable, and parts support was there right off the bat. didnt take them long to get a name for themselves and their prices shot right up to the top.

I was nosing around and run across a imported 28gpm 2 stage pump for 199. When I bought mine I got a barnes same specs and it cost me 400. I am curious did I over pay for my pump? Should I have bought a import pump? I hope theres some diffrence in them for the money.
Is there any performance , or quality diffrence in the two? My neighbor is thinking of getting one because the price diffrence.

I would like to hear what does the community has to say besides people saying that the imports are cheap junk
I want to know the good and bad on the pumps. Not that I want to hear bad things, but I know it happens. I appreciate it Thanks

We must do pretty similar searches.
I have a machine that has been eating barns 28 gpm 2 stage pumps for breakfast. Barns has been no help, they just want me to buy a new pump. They said the pump I sent them was "over pressured" and was not repairable???? :dizzy::dizzy: A 3500 psi rated pump set at 2800 psi shouldn't be over pressured, I wouldn't think. I put a new gauge on the machine and got no change in the readings. After my 3rd $400 + Barns pump, I found this $200 pump and ordered one. I haven't used the machine a lot since I put it on, but so far so good.
I just wonder if Barns is still made in the USA? They sure don't seem to be very repairable anymore.

Andy

I'm in the same situation, I'm going to try a $140.00 16gpm pump on a splitter, it can't have any shorter life than the pump that came on the splitter.lol It kinda of like the Harbor Freight replacement engines, half the cost or less, I've run one on a water pump for 3-4 years using the hell out of it for almost every day during the summers 5-6 hours a day. It's still going, when it dies, I'll just throw it in the dump and buy another one. I'll bet Barnes is buying theirs from oversea's and making a ton of margin.

I have not heard any feedback on the import pumps. I believe they are being used on many of the new consumer grade splitters. They usually have aluminum bodies instead of steel.

On 2-stage pumps repair parts are generally not available. If a major repair is needed repair cost will exceed total replacement cost.

Gear pumps are generally non repairable. If something is eating pumps find out why. I like to fix the problem. If your hydraulic guy does not know find a different one. Most pumps and parts are now import. Sad but true. CJ

We must do pretty similar searches.
I have a machine that has been eating barns 28 gpm 2 stage pumps for breakfast. Barns has been no help, they just want me to buy a new pump. They said the pump I sent them was "over pressured" and was not repairable???? :dizzy::dizzy: A 3500 psi rated pump set at 2800 psi shouldn't be over pressured, I wouldn't think. I put a new gauge on the machine and got no change in the readings. After my 3rd $400 + Barns pump, I found this $200 pump and ordered one. I haven't used the machine a lot since I put it on, but so far so good.
I just wonder if Barns is still made in the USA? They sure don't seem to be very repairable anymore.

Andy

Perhaps there is some foreing material, weld slag etc.. in your reservoir tank and fluid. that will ruin a pump quickly. Also on a lot of pumps applying down or sideways pressure to the pump shaft can cause alot of failures as well..

I thought it might interest you guys to find out that Speeco no longer builds their splitters with Haldex pumps anymore, they use some weird named chinese made pump. In fact, Speeco says they use many different brands of pumps, so no guarantee as to what you get when you order their splitters. I was fixing to pull the trigger on a new 34 ton Speeco and directly asked the sales guy about the brand of pump and valves. All chinese made stuff now.

Remember the Yugo?Cheap, poor quality, no parts available or very spendy, and they disappeared.

A buddy of mine bought a Yugo when they first came out. He ordered the deluxe model. It came with a heated rear bumper so you could keep your hands warm while you were pushing it off the road when it crapped out in the wintertime.

Latest posts

Back