What The "Pros" (fallers) Are Wearing To Work and Saw Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody I've ever met, and I repeat NOBODY, has ever been the same in person as I've known them online. And I've met at least 150 people in person after chatting with them online.

Only once or twice have I recognized the person before they introduced themselves.

And I've known a handful of guys who I'd join in tackling hell with a bucket of water who, once they got online, came across as pricks, when they aren't really pricks at all.

It is what it is. As for being an "armchair" anything, most of us are sitting in chairs when we type on these forums. I'd rather be an armchair logger (and in fact I don't pine to be a logger; I know some loggers personally and how hard that life is) than an armchair human. :monkey:

Rest assured sonny, I am who I am.

I'd like to meet some of you guys out on the westcoast. I know y'all have alot of fun out there.

Here on the eastcoast, we do some logging too. Though we don't get much respect from you westcoast guys. :)

Even when I drop 75-100 20-30" trees a day some days. Mine are Wild Cherry, Poplar, and Oak.I climb some too, dropping the 50-60ft pines out of peoples yards from the top down. Alot of how we do it is not the same as you guys. And I do other jobs on other days. Building fence, and being driven crazy by 1200 head of Angus.

But we do alot of logging, especially in the Fall and Winter. Maybe one day I could come out and see what the west is all about. And prove that I'm not an "arm chair logger":cheers:

I mean, I have never seen a skyline in person my whole life, but I love to log and cut trees. And like it or not, I have alot in common with you Westcoast guys. :givebeer:

Maybe one of you cats can put me on a big bull Elk sometime eh?

Last edited:
Randy, How is the Barbarian?

The Lad is fine, just been off all week. Start a higlead setting the end of next week I hope. I love playing with gravity :cheers:

I love yarders!! They can't go off through the woods creating havoc. The whistles can sometimes be heard over to the next drainage and is a cheery noise. Steep = Deflection = Lift = More Payload.

I think working out in the woods for a while makes one become a bit "blunt" in conversations. I know from having to deal with two different worlds, one filled with bureaucratic jargon and one with the yep, nope, and some #^% thrown in, that I prefer the latter.

I started this thread to show what goes on in the woods--here. I'll try to get some more to add. I'll be out there on Monday. The operation is a gypo operation, and a very small one.

Gentle Readers: Please, let us not turn this thread into another nasty, name calling soap opera thread!!

Here's a stump. So, you fallers. Is this because it had a lean? The object of this strip was to launch the trees down to the road so the shovel (loader) could pluck them off the hillside.

attachment.php

The tree that belongs to that stump is shown in the center with the cookie detached. Yes, it is down the hill that far.

attachment.php

Wow he really pulled that around. He must have trimmed off the hinge as it was coming around. He does have some pull on the high side. Maybe a siswheel? I don't get that deep of a face. Hopefully one of the veterans on this site who knows will shed some light. Which way was the lean? I'm guessing up and away from the fall? Wish I could see the cookie.

People look at me like I've got a square cod or something when I pull a saw out of the truck with a 32" on it.

I love it... I get that too... that and everyone round here thinks I'm a chainsaw nut cause I have more then 1 or 2 saws.....lol but who do they call when they need a tree cut or help with there saw....

Wow he really pulled that around. He must have trimmed off the hinge as it was coming around. He does have some pull on the high side. Maybe a siswheel? I don't get that deep of a face. Hopefully one of the veterans on this site who knows will shed some light. Which way was the lean? I'm guessing up and away from the fall? Wish I could see the cookie.

The cookie had a bit of stump pull on it. I wasn't there so I can't say if the tree had a lean or not. But from walking through it, he's making them jump towards the road. Being second growth, the trees are rubber trees--they don't break easy. That's a good thing when launching trees down the hill.

I love it... I get that too... that and everyone round here thinks I'm a chainsaw nut cause I have more then 1 or 2 saws.....lol but who do they call when they need a tree cut or help with there saw....

We're not that far apart, only about 80 miles or so.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason for running the chain that loose? I see it in pictures from time to time, and I've been curious as to why this is.

One reason we used to run them loose is because we didn't have roller-nose bars on our saws. With the rollers I don't think they're supposed to have much sag, maybe 1/8" or something like that.

Here's a stump. So, you fallers. Is this because it had a lean? The object of this strip was to launch the trees down to the road so the shovel (loader) could pluck them off the hillside.

attachment.php

The tree that belongs to that stump is shown in the center with the cookie detached. Yes, it is down the hill that far.

attachment.php

looks like he might have sniped that stump on purpose after he fell it.....the next trees coming in the strip will (hopefully!) slide down that angle instead of busting over over the top of it....just my opinion though.....hard to guess without being there.....

-swo

A shortie from today. This is a different faller. He is known to be an expert when it comes to falling in thinnings. Sorry for the briefness. I was up there early, before the light was good and couldn't stay very long.

Oh, he gets teased because he is one of the few who use a Husky.:popcorn:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_1WBAF6Zmrw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_1WBAF6Zmrw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There ain't nothing wrong with huskys:poke: Looks like he knows what he's doing too.

Back