What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good call. Isn't that a little odd to run the bossmans saws or is that standard procedure? At the farm I worked at I always ran my own saws and was taught that you never run someone elses saws, and they dont run yours. That boss was strange though

Personally, at $100 a day, I don't think you can afford to run your own saw.

Andy

I'm excited for ya! LOL! You'll do just fine! At least you are thinking and asking questions. Good luck and be safe!

Well, kind of keep the overt enthusiasm to yourself, and put it into the job, doing a really good job. This means being safe, not endangering others, making good decisions and the like. Aim on performing smoothly, this is more important than "fast"; it is in fact fast, by default. Think to yourself "smooth" and "grace". that is a good timberfaller, the good days are the ones you have 50% mmore production with 50% less effort.

You'll only need one saw, one in the truck for backup, but its just there in case of some sort of breakdown. Have at least one extra loop for the primary saw in case you hit rock or something awful. And yes, hardhat.

I'm kind of emabarrassed to suggest this, but it sounds like you'll need a dress rehearsal so you don't stand out too much like a new guy- your coming in equipped like you've done this before, better know where you going to hang that tape from than bumbling with it at the tail gate while everyone is waiting on you.

Don't be afraid of asking for help and don't endanger yourself or others. I'd way rather work with someone responsible and trainable than someone with attitude, especially ignorance or ego issues.

Its a great line of work for the right person, good luck. Did I say be careful?

Wow, $100/day is a low ball offer. And 1,000 trees won't last very long.

Granted, 100 a day is low wages. But look at it as an opportunity to learn and get paid a little for it. Very little, actually, but you have to start somewhere.

100 a day gross is probably going to be 70 a day net. Are you working a faller's day or will you be working eight or ten...or more?

You've had some good advice here but I'd add one thing. You're not a faller, not yet anyway, and you need to remember that no matter what your boss wants you to do, your main concern should be keeping yourself safe. If you get into a situation that you're not comfortable with, go get your boss and have him walk you through it. If he's any kind of logger at all he already knows you're green and if he's a decent guy he'll help you learn. It benefits him if your skill levels increase.

If it turns out that your boss is a flake, if he runs junk equipment, if he doesn't pay, if he doesn't keep his word, or if he puts you into dangerous situations and demands that you either perform or get yourself gone...just pack up your stuff and go. There are other jobs and other learning opportunities.

One thing about it...you're going to find out that there's a big difference in getting to cut wood and having to cut wood.

Let us know how it works out for you.

We provide saws, parts, ppe, gas and oil for our guys. Seems to be a standard here unless they are subbing. All they have to do is show up every day and sharpen their own chains. (Bought em a silvey) I gave up on grinding everynight for someone else.

Hope it goes well for you 4x4

All you can do is your best. And I agree don't walk in like a newbie. Come In like you got an idea on what your doing.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Granted, 100 a day is low wages. But look at it as an opportunity to learn and get paid a little for it. Very little, actually, but you have to start somewhere.

100 a day gross is probably going to be 70 a day net. Are you working a faller's day or will you be working eight or ten...or more?

You've had some good advice here but I'd add one thing. You're not a faller, not yet anyway, and you need to remember that no matter what your boss wants you to do, your main concern should be keeping yourself safe. If you get into a situation that you're not comfortable with, go get your boss and have him walk you through it. If he's any kind of logger at all he already knows you're green and if he's a decent guy he'll help you learn. It benefits him if your skill levels increase.

If it turns out that your boss is a flake, if he runs junk equipment, if he doesn't pay, if he doesn't keep his word, or if he puts you into dangerous situations and demands that you either perform or get yourself gone...just pack up your stuff and go. There are other jobs and other learning opportunities.

One thing about it...you're going to find out that there's a big difference in getting to cut wood and having to cut wood.

Let us know how it works out for you.

This is the best advice I've seen.

Andy

I pissed my pants when I got my first "clearing job" 25 elms in a fenceline all around 20" 12 bucks an hour, and the thing of it was I didn't care how much I was getting paid.!

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Haha. He's got me thinking about my first job "logging". I was so wound up that I couldn't sleep. They started me on the landing at $5.00 an hour. $40 bucks a day BABY! But I was loggin' :laugh:

Andy

You kids made all the big money. (Caution...old guy story ahead)

When I started out I made 5 dollars a day with breakfast and lunch thrown in. 'Course I was only 13 and I was working for my uncle as a human pack mule in the woods. He cut, I carried. It was better than having a paper route. The next year he bumped me up to seven dollars a day and found....and let me hold the dumb end of the handlebar Macs we were running. The year after that he finally let me run a saw and I started bucking full time and I went to busheling...and supplying my own grub. It was just as well, my uncle said he could afford to pay me but feeding me was driving him to the poor house. I started falling the next year. For the first five years I worked for him I began to think my name was "dammit kid..."

But, like you said...I was loggin. I'd probably do it again.

You kids made all the big money. (Caution...old guy story ahead)

When I started out I made 5 dollars a day with breakfast and lunch thrown in. 'Course I was only 13 and I was working for my uncle as a human pack mule in the woods. He cut, I carried. It was better than having a paper route. The next year he bumped me up to seven dollars a day and found....and let me hold the dumb end of the handlebar Macs we were running. The year after that he finally let me run a saw and I started bucking full time and I went to busheling...and supplying my own grub. It was just as well, my uncle said he could afford to pay me but feeding me was driving him to the poor house. I started falling the next year. For the first five years I worked for him I began to think my name was "dammit kid..."

But, like you said...I was loggin. I'd probably do it again.

Hahaha. Old fart's like you make me feel so young and full of vinegar.

Andy

Hahaha. Old fart's like you make me feel so young and full of vinegar.

Andy

Hah! You are older than me!

I had a job like Bob's, but got paid $50 a day plus lunch.
I remember my first logging job. I felled OG DF with my Grandad's D.D.Terrill, hooters, peckerpoles and broken trees. I think I cleared a hundred bucks a day.

Back