What to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
460 and 460r are the same saw except for the dawgs,oiler,and handle. no performance difference afaik

Last edited:
if you want to run a 32'' bar go big........ a Stihl 440 with a 32'' bar wont cut it in my opinion. I think a minimum of 75CCs but 80+ would be better. what saws do you have now.

I currently have a eager beaver and a power horse both with 18" bars. years ago when we use to burn wood all the time my pop had a couple mcculloch 250s but we stopped burning wood when i was a kid and i dont know what happen with his saws. He also had a two man that i was terrified of, I remember he bartered that saw for some work when i was 18 some 22yrs ago. Wish i had it now although i probably couldnt find anyone to help me use it..

460 and 460r are the same saw except for the dawgs,oiler,and handle. no performance difference afaik

Well I have both the 460s and the 460Rs and when running long bars the added oil adds greatly to the prefmorance when working large hard wood as does the larger carb. jetting that also comes with the 460R. Also if you are running long bars and you are running chain that is filed to truely cut as it should, the larger clutch cover allows for complete and timely chip discharge which adds to the prefmorance of the saw.

Get the Makita 6401. A 7900 piston and cylinder will bolt right on and cost less than the 7900.

Well I have both the 460s and the 460Rs and when running long bars the added oil adds greatly to the prefmorance when working large hard wood as does the larger carb. jetting that also comes with the 460R. Also if you are running long bars and you are running chain that is filed to truely cut as it should, the larger clutch cover allows for complete and timely chip discharge which adds to the prefmorance of the saw.

they have the same carb and are rated the same hp

ok well i found a 6401 on CL talked with the guy a couple times and something just didnt seem right he said he had the saw rebuilt but couldnt tell me the name of the shop that did the rebuild..so im going to skip him.. I ordered the new makita dcs6421 from a shop in baltimore about a hr from me should be in on tuesday.The price seemed to good to be true so i asked the guy like 5 times But but the tree im doing tomorrow is about 40" across and takes me like 5 mns to make 1 cut with my power horse 2hp saw. So i found a echo cs600p w/20" bar thats 2 months old for $300. So tonight i pick up the echo and tuesday i pick up the makita. I was really leaning towards the stihl but im getting 2 for one so to speak . I might get the stihl ms660 next yr. We will see!! Everyone on hear has been very helpful in supporting what is sure to be my new sickness ( collecting saws )..Ill post some pics of them when i get them and im sure i will want to know how to do some mods . If anyone has done mods on the echo cs600p i would appreciate tips and do's and don'ts and things to look for in this saw before i get started.

If anyone has done mods on the echo cs600p i would appreciate tips and do's and don'ts and things to look for in this saw before i get started.

Shoot a PM to blsnelling about that. He posted a pretty impressive video about what that Echo saw is capable of.

Congrats on the saws! :clap:

...the tree im doing tomorrow is about 40" across
Congrats on the new saws.
Fwiw, I think I would have gone straight for a saw that could pull 36" if I had very much wood that size to cut, but I'm sure you have good reasons for your plan.

ok well i found a 6401 on CL talked with the guy a couple times and something just didnt seem right he said he had the saw rebuilt but couldnt tell me the name of the shop that did the rebuild..so im going to skip him.. I ordered the new makita dcs6421 from a shop in baltimore about a hr from me should be in on tuesday.The price seemed to good to be true so i asked the guy like 5 times But but the tree im doing tomorrow is about 40" across and takes me like 5 mns to make 1 cut with my power horse 2hp saw. So i found a echo cs600p w/20" bar thats 2 months old for $300. So tonight i pick up the echo and tuesday i pick up the makita. I was really leaning towards the stihl but im getting 2 for one so to speak . I might get the stihl ms660 next yr. We will see!! Everyone on hear has been very helpful in supporting what is sure to be my new sickness ( collecting saws )..Ill post some pics of them when i get them and im sure i will want to know how to do some mods . If anyone has done mods on the echo cs600p i would appreciate tips and do's and don'ts and things to look for in this saw before i get started.

I live about an hour from you and have the same situation with large red oak. I picked up a used stihl 064 and improved it over time. I run a 25 and 30" bar on it and noodle the rounds no problem. Had the makita 6401 but traded it because i did not care for the chain adjuster in the cover and the bar would not swap with my 064.

Congrats on the new saws.
Fwiw, I think I would have gone straight for a saw that could pull 36" if I had very much wood that size to cut, but I'm sure you have good reasons for your plan.

I really thought about getting the 660 but i just dont have that much money at the moment. This is my plan I'm going put a 14" bar on the beaver , keep the 18" bar on the power horse , keep the 20" bar on the echo , put a 24" bar on the makita and when funds allow I will get a ms660 magnum w/ a 36" bar. that way ill have everything i should need for working. Then i already put the word out that I'm looking for saws from 1960s to present to rebuild and try my hand at some modifications.

OK i got the cs600p its practically brand new . Ive been reading about the stock carb setting being to lean from the factory and burning up someones saw. What do i need to check/do to insure mine does not burn up. I'm going out to check the spark plug now and see if it looks like its running lean . Any advice would be appreciated because im going to start cutting right after i kick the rooster in the morning..

Ok i just got done unloading from todays take..I used the echo cs600p today and I was amazed at just how light and fast and powerful this saw is . I mean it cut that red oak like nothing .The guy i was working with today has a 455 rancher with brand new this morning bar and chain and i was making 7-8 cuts to his one. I would start my cuts by reaching over the top of the log a bit and once she was good and dug in about halfway with the saw almost straight vertical I would pull it up and let her eat right down i wasnt leaning on it all , I could not believe the amount of time it saved me..I will finish up tomorrow and I cant wait my i got pretty bad back and a touch of RA in my elbows and wrist and they been aching sense i started this job a week ago tomorrow. Ive got about week or more of steady splitting in front of me now. I am really looking forward to Tuesday when I pick up the makita.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back