what to charge for man hours

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez...That's really low. Bare minimum should be $to 50 per man hour. I try to keep it between 65-75 per man hour for a basic setup no aerial lift or log loader just chipper, saws misc.

One way to get a better feel for your area would be to shop around the competition. Find out what the successful companies are charging- compare your costs and see if you can't beat there price by a couple bucks.

true, i am not in this business... when i opened my businesses, i did research on what is being charged in similar areas of the country, plus made phone calls to competitors to get their prices. with that information, i was able to decide what the prices for my company's various services would be... i'm on the expensive side, and have found (like several people here have mentioned) that often, you will get more business because you are valuing what you do...

now with gas prices, i have increased costs on some of the services... of course, i also have an annoyance surcharge if someone just gets my goat during the negotiations :) :dizzy: :p that seems to run off the people that will never be pleased with my work ;) mostly i provide time, creativity, and brain power, so i don't have the equipment expenses that this profession does...

i always make sure that i charge enough to cover my insurances, taxes, and be civil to my clients.... when i low ball a bid, i end up cranky...

PLUS, don't settle on a price today and keep it for the decade... doesn't hurt to do your research every 6 months or so to keep in step with what the market will bear...

How Much

2 Grnd Guys @ $12 Each = $24 plus WC,Taxes,Benefits,Downtime, Trn = $48
2 Climbers @ $20 = $40 plus WC,Taxes,Benefits,Downtime,Training = $96

$150 for labor
$50 for chipper
$25 for loader
$25 for trucks
$25 for overhead, marketing, insurance, etc. etc.
=
$275 per hour

Back